mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Lake Padden NW MTB Race #2

Anybody have any insight on this? I'm trying to convince myself to drive 3 hours round trip to race for 1.5 hours... I did Russell's race at Duthie and enjoyed it, but the drive was much less for this Seattlite!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    This is a classic NW race course. Worth the drive.
    Titus X Carbon
    Schwinn Prologue
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX

Fat-tired Roadie
    I love the course. It's tough! The first big climb and descent aren't terribly technical, though there are plenty of roots across that climb and it's steep enough and, right now, loose enough that being able to handle your bike definitely matters.

The second climb has a couple of spots that are real handling challenges. I was pretty happy to be able to clean the harder one, finally, though I'm definitely not consistent on it and will probably just run it. The descents are short, but more interesting through that section.

Lap time is 18-30+ minutes, depending on your level. Sport class times are likely to fall in the 20s. For me, this course is most defined by that long climb at the beginning.

If the drive to bike ratio is high for you, take a recovery spin in Galbraith.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You have a mt bike and are whining about driving 1.5h to ride? That bike must be nice and shiny

I had my worst race there and have never been back. It's very much as Andrw describes, the climbs aren't that long. The problem is there isn't much space for passing, so you can get stuck behind slower riders and lose so much time. Do the race, then go ride Galbraith, literally across the street. It'll be the most fun you've had on your bike in a while

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Well, turns out I had responsibilities that prevented me from going. However, thanks for the responses - being able to ride Galbraith would have made it worth the drive! Oh, and "trees4me", I'm not whining about driving 1.5 hrs to ride, I just have a personal rule that I've got to ride more than I drive, so with 3hours round trip, riding Galbraith would have made it worth it!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That's a good rule to have. You should go check out padden and galbraith if you haven't been up there before. There's something for everyone, it's a great trail system!

Good luck racing this year. Did you see there is a new event: 9to5 at Roslyn. It's relatively close and lots of saddletime. I'm not sure about the loop tho. Haven't really ridden those particular trails.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Looked up 9 to 5 in Roslyn and couldn't find anything. Anyone got a link?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Looked up 9 to 5 in Roslyn and couldn't find anything. Anyone got a link?
    MFG CYCLOCROSS ? Registration Reminder for MFG Nine2Five

(Don't be confused- it's not a CX race)

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'll be at the 9-2-5. My first time doing an endurance race with a teammate. I'm very curious.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Interesting... I thought there was a push to stop using the traditional climb up out of No 5 canyon... Maybe it will finally be dried out by then... Also surprised about the routing from the Whitehead road up to the Little Ridge Trail. Break out the floaty sand tires...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Interesting... I thought there was a push to stop using the traditional climb up out of No 5 canyon... Maybe it will finally be dried out by then... Also surprised about the routing from the Whitehead road up to the Little Ridge Trail. Break out the floaty sand tires...
    I think it's a fat bike race. The latest fad since cx is getting mature.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I don't know this course, but I'm excited to check it out!

Fat-tired Roadie
    LOL, since I tore the sidewall of my knobbier XC tire, I'll be using a Maxxis Ikon on the back. Sounds like maybe a good thing I've been running lately. :-p

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    LOL, since I tore the sidewall of my knobbier XC tire, I'll be using a Maxxis Ikon on the back. Sounds like maybe a good thing I've been running lately. :-p
    How do you like the Ikon for around here? That was on my list for a new rear, but I just couldn't bring myself to by what looks like a lightweight race tire. I'm guessing it's good on hardpack stuff like Grand ridge, NW timber, etc, but not all that great in the wet rooty/rocky stuff.

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: Lake Padden NW MTB Race #2

^^^
    I don't. I hung onto them because I like to have spares. I'll probably try to fix my other tire in a couple weeks, and go back to that for the Capitol Forest 50.

They're not as bad as I was afraid they would be when I bought the bike and hadn't ridden them. But they take a lot more attention on wet or loose surfaces.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    @andrw
    Thanks. I read so many reviews that were so positive about them, I was getting close to trying them out. I'm running a wolverine up front right now, and that worked well for the hc100 and toe100k. I'm thinking I'll keep my combo the same for ccp100 and capforest. It's not like I'm very fast anyway

Fat-tired Roadie
    Like I said, they weren't as bad as I expected. Just not what I find I like around here.