mtbr member
    Oct 2011

klickitat trail.

Ok, I know that it is a rail trail. Might be decent for beginners. I know it's not a double black diamond ride but at 31 miles and some pretty decent scenery it might not be that bad of a ride.
    Klickitat Trail Conservancy -- Klickitat Trail Map Worth checking out anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The section through Swale Canyon is interesting every few years or so. The first couple miles are dotted with peoples "back yards" (lots of junk). There is some scenery but you are in a canyon so no big sweeping views. Ride it North to South and back. Gentle climb out and gentle descent back. Good for a beginner as the rock is pretty tight in all but a couple stretches. A few low bridges still are not decked so you ride across the rail ties. A beginner might feel more comfortable walking those.

In the same region, is the Deschutes River trail. In Oregon a few miles east of The Dalles. IMO it is a better ride. Still rail trail but more scenic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have looked at that trail. Another ride that I would like to make. Looks promising. I want to check it out by riding rather than by google earth. Thank you.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Good ride in the winter as we try to escape the awful weather of the west side of the mountains.