mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Keeping maps updated - OpenStreetMap?

Both the Tolt-MacDonald and the Tokul maps are 4-5 years old and out of date. The switchbacks.com NWTrail set is still being updated but doesn't seem to have data newer than 2010 for those places. Many other places don't have good dedicated maps.

It's hard to update these maps... you have to know who made them in the first place, and then get the files from that person and use the same software. In practice, map "ownership" rarely gets handed off to new people with fresh energy, it seems.

And these days people ride with their GPS (Garmin, phone, ...) and want maps that can be loaded onto their gadget.

So... it seems the right place to create maps of trails these days is somewhere online where others can later edit what you did, somewhere wiki-like, such as... OpenStreetMap (www.openstreetmap.org)?

Thing is... I have no idea about the rules/policy/ethics of putting maps of private land trails on OSM. Is it "done"? Would the data be at risk of removal if the land owner requested it from OSM? Anyone know much about this?

Other suggestions about how we should keep maps? I'm looking for more than "just go to some GPS track site and download a track and follow it".

Rider
    this is a nice tool for mapping if you have some strava data
    Strava Multiple Ride Mapper

it will auto load your data and can place it on top of the map.

no ideas on the rules of officially passing maps out, but it's nice for personal reference.

mtbr member
    Lately more and more trails seem to be showing up on Google Maps too. I know the Black Diamond ones are all there, and I've seen some of the Tokul ones too. Anyone know how those get added?
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Looks like you can do that with Google MapMaker: Google Map Maker

I'd be more interested in OpenStreetMap as it's inherently a community-driven tool, and there are tools that let you download (routable) maps from OSM to your Garmin... but use of use is important too, so it'd be intersting to hear experiences with either one.