mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Kachess Ridge Trail Conditions

Has anyone done the Kachess Ridge Loop yet this year? We are thinking about giving it a try on Sunday. Does anyone know if it is melted out enough to make it through yet?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I am interested in knowing the conditions too, I was thinking of checking it out sometime this weekend. I did read on WTA about two weeks ago there was still snow hanging around on the trail to the beacon, so I'm not sure if that would be melted out yet or not.

mtbr member
    A quick search of this forum found in 2012 there was still some snow mid-July and lots of blowdowns. Couldn't find last years thread but I think it was open by early July (?) or at least mostly snow-free. The blowdowns can really get bad up there though and for me at least are as bad or worse to deal with than snow.
    Usually horse packers (and Evergreen) clear blowdowns once the snow has melted out and its usually early to mid-July before that happens but maybe this year it will open sooner....

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    We are going to give it a shot on Sunday. I'll post a report afterwards.

We were the first bikes to do it in 2012 and it was about this time of year. There was a snow field that we had to cross that was pretty sketchy and 8 blowdowns to deal with after that. It was a great ride though.

Hopefully conditions will be a little better this year.

Sawyer Gnome
    I know Graham has been itching to get out there and start accessing.

SqeakyBrakes, if you end up going, take pics of the downed trees with your bike and tire size in there for reference. It helps the planning for what saws to bring. Thanks!
    Raleigh XXIX

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    We did end up going yesterday. It is probably going to need another month before it is completely melted out. We ended up pushing/carrying our bikes through snow for several miles. Snow is still 8-10 feet deep in places.

As far as blowdowns, it is hard to say. Any towards the top are still buried under snow.

JRA
    mtbr member
    I counted 8 blowdowns (of the ones we could see), sized approximate 24"-32". Worst one was the one that was a tree top which has fallen down onto the side of the trail standing up. This one is located on lower portion of trail.
    Kachess Ridge Trail Conditions-p5230061.jpg

My feet are sore today but thanks to the Bob & Doug snowshovel/McCleod tandem, no self-arrest attempts were necessary.

Last word is all yours...
    Quote Originally Posted by SqeakyBrakes View Post
    Snow is still 8-10 feet deep in places.
    So still skiable then?
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    JRA,

thanks for the report. How far from the bottom is that sketchy leaner in the pic? Joe and I are going up there with saws on Monday, July 7th, bottom up. We will bring tools to remove that leaner as well. If anyone wants to join us, graham@evergreenmtb.org.

thanks, gt

JRA
    mtbr member
    GT - I don't recall exactly where this leaner is but at a guess I'd say a mile or two in from the lower trailhead. All the other blowdowns we saw were above the leaner (maybe 1 mile or more further beyond).

The blowdowns seemed to be spaced out. One tree then some distance uptrail to the next one. Sorry for the inaccurate distances.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    JRA,

thanks a ton! I will carry come-along and slings to deal with leaner, as it is close to the bottom. We will push up trail as far as we can and clear the blowdowns. I guess we will have to wait several weeks to shuttle up top to clear the upper ones.....which will be fun!

see ya on the trails.....gt

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gturnage2002 View Post
    JRA,

thanks a ton! I will carry come-along and slings to deal with leaner, as it is close to the bottom. We will push up trail as far as we can and clear the blowdowns. I guess we will have to wait several weeks to shuttle up top to clear the upper ones.....which will be fun!

see ya on the trails.....gt

Hey Graham, I'd love to help clean up this trail and also get a shuttle in. Inbox me if you want a body, I can probably get a few more to tag along. I'd also be interested in doing the same at Suntop and clearing out that bloody clearcut. ryan.kitchen*at* gmail (dot) com

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    Rode Kachess yesterday. Dirt was mint due to the rain the night before. Even the bugs hadn't quite exploded in abundance. From the looks of the trail it's been getting ridden hard. But remember, if you can't get your tires in the air and clear the obstacle it's probably best to stick to the trail, definitely in the upper areas.

mtbr member
    There was a fire over Knox creek yesterday (that's a bit farther north from Kachess, closer to Thorp mt). Not sure if it's still burning.
    I was swimming in Thorp lake when a fire helicopter with a big bucket suddenly showed up over the lake. I was aiming for an "epic" swim but had to get out of the way.

View of the fire from Thorp mt:
    Kachess Ridge Trail Conditions-img_0360.jpg

Kachess Ridge Trail Conditions-img_0365.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Love Thorp Lake, one of the great swims with rock jumping on one end of the lake. Can sometimes be crowded though (eg 2-3 other people).