Cat Herder

Jolly Mountain 11/11/11

A little late in the season you say? Oh well - we had the day off and we had to try to break off a little something in the high country. Departed after an awesome sunrise and got on the bikes in Salmon Le Sac around 10am. The climb took a lot longer than expected - I'm woefully out of shape and held up the group, plus it was freezing balls. You'll see some footprints of some big cats in the video - that was a surprise.
    We had a little trouble finding the drop-in to Trail 1307 as upper Jolly Mtn Road has been plowed and rendered somewhat less rideable than the Poffenberger book suggests. There was a lot of snow blowing in the air by the time we found 1307 as you'll see in the video. The descent was pretty tough as it was as if the moto roost had been flash-frozen. Quite a bit of resistence descending. Noisy, too!
    My friend Chris was leading the second stretch of the descent on his Tallyboy - mobbing like a pro I'll say! - and came upon a big buck. It'd run ahead down the trail by the time I caught up to Chris but he said it had an impressive rack. We saw its' prints in the snow as we continued down the trail. Soon we were riding in rain as we passed out of the freezing level. The riding was a bit sloppy and I definitely felt off my game - I had to ride in ski gloves which I had brought "just in case". We reached the bottom of the trail and found that it had been raining for quite a while. There was a campfire burning next to a cabin near the campground so we sauntered over to make friendly and dry out a bit, rapping with some locals. Despite the below-average velocities, it was a great time! I think that neck of the woods is shut down for the season but I'm glad to have seen it - I'd not ridden out of Salmon Le Sac before!

YouTube cut off 10 minutes out of the video - trimmed the whole video length to match the song, which is not what I intended. I'll try to fix and repost this week.
    Last edited by syngltrkmnd; 11-13-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Video Edit needed
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Cool report, definitely looks like last ride of the season up there!
    Hope you were prepared with a thermos...

Slothful dirt hippie
    Glad you didn't turn into popcicles! Very cool ride and great vid. Think I would have been opting for hot chocolate with a shot of Baily's or mint schnaps instead of beer afterward though.

Heeeeere kitty kitty kitty..... Very cool to see those prints up there. Usually I just see bobcat or coyote in the snow.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yah they turned the upper section of the road into a trail conversion. i think it's an extension of Sasse Mt. Trail or one of the trails that run along the ridge above the lake. If you ride the road to West Fork Teanaway you can run a huge loop. i prefer to integrate going to the summit of Jolly Mountain itself, on a clear day, there are very few epic viewpoints accessible by bike, that are it's equal.

Get it next year, you won't regret it.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Slothful dirt hippie

Oh the difference a few days make....

We just came back from hunting down first ski-able snow above Salmon-la-Sac since the telemetry suggested this was our best bet. We drove past where y'all probably parked, and ended up discovering 4WD305 "Mine to Market Trail". We hit rocks especially on the way down and my knees are pretty battered (so stupid for leaving behind the Kyle Straits- I was looking right at them as I walked out the door!), but first snow is always fun even with the usual scratch-n-dent action. I'm guessing by next week the only driving up there will be by snomo.

From Huckleberry mountain looking down on Cle Elum valley/over Salmon-la-Sac towards the lake- Down there someplace is your trailhead!

Cat Herder

Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    Yah they turned the upper section of the road into a trail conversion. i think it's an extension of Sasse Mt. Trail or one of the trails that run along the ridge above the lake. If you ride the road to West Fork Teanaway you can run a huge loop. i prefer to integrate going to the summit of Jolly Mountain itself, on a clear day, there are very few epic viewpoints accessible by bike, that are it's equal.

Get it next year, you won't regret it.
    We'll definitely plan on it for next season. It sure seems to be promising. I have meandered a bit on the Teanaway side - and then I geeked out on Google Earth last night with the aerial tour feature. We certainly did not have the visibility that the software had!
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat

Cat Herder
    WOW! Timing IS everything....
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by syngltrkmnd View Post
    We'll definitely plan on it for next season. It sure seems to be promising. I have meandered a bit on the Teanaway side - and then I geeked out on Google Earth last night with the aerial tour feature. We certainly did not have the visibility that the software had!

.~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Cat Herder
    Terrific pics, Skookum! Is the upper one on the out-and-back section of Jolly?
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by syngltrkmnd View Post
    Terrific pics, Skookum! Is the upper one on the out-and-back section of Jolly?
    Yah if i remember correctly i'm taking the photo at the peak of Jolly Mt. and all three riders are riding down toward the saddle. The bottom shot is a short break at W Fork Teanaway river.
    It's difficult terrain and difficult to access, but some of the more epic rides can be had. Cooper River, Esmeralda, DeRoux, W Fork, Boulder and trails inbetween, all worthy.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    i've done west fork countless times but never veered too far off. need to check out jolly as an out n back some time in conjunction with west fork (?)

did some esmerelda loop years ago, up an old 4x4 "road" eventually winding up going down boulder which i remember was really fun. lots of potential out that way for sure

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scotteric View Post
    i've done west fork countless times but never veered too far off. need to check out jolly as an out n back some time in conjunction with west fork (?)

did some esmerelda loop years ago, up an old 4x4 "road" eventually winding up going down boulder which i remember was really fun. lots of potential out that way for sure
    Jolly is an epic run with West Fork Teanaway, there is no getting around that unless you do a shuttle. Have done a Middle Fork Teanaway ascent, which wasn't bad, but the hike-a-bike up Jolly Creek is a trudge.

Try the Esmerelda loop with the Boulder out and back. A Boulder ascent isn't bad as you actually have time spent on bike versus carrying the bike entirely on a Jolly Creek.

The terrain and elevation doesn't make it easy for ya, lot's of folk can't hang. Gotta bring your A game to these rides.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Having been on that Boulder/Ezzy loop with Skooks, I can say it would have been a lot more fun if it wasn't 95 in the shade at the bottom of the Fortune Creek DH. Good thing we got to swim in Gallagher before the Boulder descent.

There are really just about infinite options to mix and match from Cle Elum to Cashmere. Or, from West Fork to Miller in the drainage proper. Only Lower West Fork (see the Evergreen trail wiki for routes, etc.) is "easier". Skooks is right, pretty much everything else is "A game" terrain. But, the rewards are great. have not heard much about the proposed wilderness concerning the Beverly/Bean/Stafford/Standup drainages as of late but I'll bet that's still brewing and will be a real shame if it passes.

Another great run is an Ezzy loop with an up and over into Middle Fork back to camp.

West Fork is about as "Non-Duthie" as one can get. Wild, remote, gnarly, and beautiful. Should be on most rider's bucket list but seldom ridden. Scotteric, good on ya for doing it several times. Side note: The Yellow Hill/Elbow/Jolly/West Fork is a definate Little Debbie ride and though fairly short mileage wise, a LOT longer than it looks.

Slothful dirt hippie
    I'm officially adding Jolly to my 2012 must-do list after panning through via Google Earth and then looking at Skook's pics.

My original plan was West Fork- Jolly- Yellow Hill, but then I heard it might just be more gnarl than it's worth. So WF-Jolly- Mid Fork maybe late season? But then there's all the creek crossings, so maybe OAB?

Of course there's always the option of getting some poor sap to drop us off up in Salmon-la-Sac and run 'er one way to the Teanaway..... hhhhmmmm...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Up Middle Fork/Down West Fork. Much better....

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    I'm officially adding Jolly to my 2012 must-do list after panning through via Google Earth and then looking at Skook's pics.

My original plan was West Fork- Jolly- Yellow Hill, but then I heard it might just be more gnarl than it's worth. So WF-Jolly- Mid Fork maybe late season? But then there's all the creek crossings, so maybe OAB?

Of course there's always the option of getting some poor sap to drop us off up in Salmon-la-Sac and run 'er one way to the Teanaway..... hhhhmmmm...
    When doing the shuttle you drive on the Cle Elum Lake side. Normal drive approach for W-Fork would be from up the Teanaway like Borniqua's rides, but by leaving a chase vehicle up and in on the first FS road just outside of Ronald, you can drive back around and up Jolly Mt. Rd.
    For the heart and lung folk this would be the preferred route of doing W-fork so you won't have to devote as much time OUT of the saddle on the Jolly Creek hike a bike.
    The shuttle is a bit longish, and there is still quite a bit of work involved. If the moto's didn't clear out these trails, nobody would ride here. You have to wait into the summer for them to clear out the logs, and for the river to subside a bit, as you do have to ford the river on this route.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    ...The shuttle is a bit longish, and there is still quite a bit of work involved. If the moto's didn't clear out these trails, nobody would ride here. You have to wait into the summer for them to clear out the logs, and for the river to subside a bit, as you do have to ford the river on this route.
    No kidding. I'm on Mikki's Cle Elum ORV Facebook group, and they're usually pretty good about updating trail conditions. This year was a real mess up there between all the blow downs and how late the snow melted out.

In fact I'm so bummed about all the local stuff I wanted to ride and didn't get to this season that I'm seriously considering taking extra PTO days mid week next Aug/Sept just to hit more.