Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    Spovegas or anyone else - I am considering riding the JWT North Bend to ID this summer. I have an old rigid mountain bike I would like to use. It looks like Spovegas's partner Eric did it on a rigid bike. I have a friend that did the ride last summer and says he would recommend at least suspension forks due to rough conditions. Any opinions of the feasibility of doing this on a rigid bike? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    You can do it on a rigid, but it won't be very comfortable, based on our experience. You probably won't be pushing as hard as Eric (I don't know anyone who does!), but when he got into Ellensburg after our stretch of a few days through the eastern portion and then a late night push through the Yakima Firing Range, he had blood in his urine. He was obviously concerned, and he works in the healthcare field, so he called a nurse friend and they talked their way through it and the conclusion they reached was that his kidneys had gotten jostled around enough that there was probably a small tear that was emitting some blood.

You can take your time on a rigid and probably be fine, but it might not be all that much fun. The eastern portion is kinda wild.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My son and I rode the whole thing last summer. He was on a hardtail the whole time and I was on a hardtail from Othello to Ellensburg when my bike broke and I had to buy a replacement at walmart. I sent my full suspentionbike ahead and fixed in Ellensburg.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm planning to do the North Bend to Vantage section next month and am wondering if anyone has any recent info on the condition of the trail. I've ridden it from N. Bend as far as Easton, but I read some older reports that the trail deteriorates a bit once you get down towards Cle Elum and beyond.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kcwa View Post
    I'm planning to do the North Bend to Vantage section next month and am wondering if anyone has any recent info on the condition of the trail. I've ridden it from N. Bend as far as Easton, but I read some older reports that the trail deteriorates a bit once you get down towards Cle Elum and beyond.
    My info is from September 2013. The section from Ellensburg east through the Yakima Firing Range is a bit rougher than west of Ellensburg. The trail surface is looser and the rocks are bigger. I'd recommend at least a 1.75"/45mm tire. IIRC, the roughest section was the detour around the closed tunnel, and that wasn't that long (< 1/2 mile).

In reply to the other query, I rode from North Bend to Tekoa on my SS hardtail, and didn't suffer internal injuries. I did have some pretty beefy tires, though (Kenda Honey Badgers @20-22 psi).

Finally, it is absolutely true what they say about the goatheads at Smyrna. I made it through with the Honey Badgers and Mr Tuffys, but everyone else in our group double-flatted. When you get within 100 yards of this point (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=46.84...num=1&t=h&z=17), dismount and carry your bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the update, I had heard that all the tunnels were now open, good to know they aren't. I'll be on a rigid 29er with Schwalbe Big Apple tires, but one of the guys is planning to ride a cross bike which was great from NB to Easton, but maybe he should figure something else out if it the gravel gets pretty deep further east. Good to know the goat heads are past that....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kcwa View Post
    Thanks for the update, I had heard that all the tunnels were now open, good to know they aren't...
    It's just the one tunnel in the Yakima Firing Range. The others are all open.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2