mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Joe Watt Canyon May 4th '14

I checked out Joe Watt this Sunday, hoping for some sunshine. Got some, but also got rained on as well.

Found an Echo Valley 30/60 water bottle out there, if it is yours, let me know.
    Joe Watt Canyon May 4th '14-img_20140504_154223.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe Watt Canyon May 4th '14-img_20140504_133851.jpg  

Joe Watt Canyon May 4th '14-img_20140504_130003.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Not one of ours that I know. But, I'll ask. I had 10 of us out there on the 3rd. Was hoping the rain yesterday would actually help with the dusty conditions on some of the trails. Still a bunch of equestrians in the main draw behind the gate? Nice to see the ridge trail finally getting a bunch more use.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Lots of equestrians on the road leading to the left from the entrance gate, so I went up to the right. I found the singletrack and spent the next 3 hours figuring it out a bit. I found that ridge loop, rode it both ways.

The light rain did help with the dust. Just as it started to get muddy and stick to the tires, the rain would stop and it would all clear out.

Found a deer skin hanging from a tree at the entrance I started from. And by the cabin in the picture (several miles away, on the other main entrance road) I found a deer leg that was still furry on the bottom half. There was quite a lot of clumpy hair down there as well.

I heard a couple of gunshots, but I assume it was target practice.

I was run up on by two barking dogs, but I calmly called out to them like I would my own dogs and they ran off. Never saw the owners. In fact, I didn't see a single soul on the trails, although I did on the dirt roads.

Pretty cool place. I'd love to go back, especially now that I kind of know the trails. Lots of wildflowers, lots of songbirds. Lots of evidence of the Elk herd, but I didn't see it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The trail on the left of the right road is the one we usually finish up on. I usually ride it clock wise up the main canyon road to the trail on the left up in to S. Winegar canyon (all trail) then, at the hunting camp with the multiple hanging rails and hitch posts, take the trail down the top of the ridge(You likely did not find/ride that one but hope you did. It's good and fast.) then back up a short road to a cutover trail going west from the hunting camp which drops out on to the main road. Up that a little to a spur on the right that crosses the stream. Hard left around to the line cabin. We did see the deer leg there and I actually rode over it much to the dismay of Mire who thought that was gross. Then, this time, we went up the road to a short cut to another road 3 drainages to the west. Coming out above where your last picture is. Then, down the race course switch backs and to the road with all the whoops on it and the final descent that you rode up. So much potential out there. Can't believe the E-burg peeps are not all over this place.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    we used to ride there once in a while when I was at CWU around '90, but we'd usually end up doing Cove up to the book for whatever reason. There's some other 'flats' around there that had some fun double track I remember, near Joe Watt. Beautiful area, I miss riding there.