Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Slothful dirt hippie

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Joe Watt 2012 update- MAPPAGE

OK, I've waded through our GPS data, created a preliminary map, uploaded to the updated Evergreen trail wiki page. GPX file here, Google Earth KML file here. I tried to do the roads in yellow, single track in pink. The orange trail is not yet passable, trying to talk some squirrels into seeing the value in that task... I also included the loop that we did with Borneo on Aug 1 because that combined the 'most of the best' of what we'd located to date.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE WILL BE LARGE HORSE RIDES ON MAY 19 2012 AND JUNE 16 2012. Having ridden in one once I would strongly advise just steering clear of the area for these entire weekends.

Discovery pass required, gates unlocked May 1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe Watt 2012 update- MAPPAGE-jwmap.jpg  

"...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Wow! Thanks for putting that together.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Here is a TOPO made with the posted KML file.

If you want to see it for yourself, here is the link that I captured the image from:

GMap4 Link

Likewise, if you would like the full resolution image, pm me your email address and I'll send it or post it online for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joe Watt 2012 update- MAPPAGE-joe-watt.jpg  

Slothful dirt hippie
    Schweet! I've collected a few Google Earth goodies along the way, and the two most useful are USGS quad overlay and Google Map overlay (sometimes their terrain view is handy because the relief is clean and obvious). Download the KMZ file with both here.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    How "worse for wear"? I plan on bing out there about 3ish tomorrow to pre-ride for Saturday and clear some trail if need be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'll hopefully get around to making a GIS map of the area next week. I reserve the right to get a little 'creative' on a couple of the trail names. If you have some GPS files to contribute, please PM me. Also, include a best guess on the trail's level of grunt and technical level.

I'll hopefully get around to doing some work out there this week, as some of the trails are a bit worse for wear after the winter.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The 'main' trail up the hill, what we decided the other night to rename Shinguard because of the grasses and scrub that deliver a beating, is completely torn-up at the bottom. The 'upper' trails near the cabin were surprisingly good. I cleared one the other night to the point it's flowing really well--Winegar's North is riding well too. I may drive to the cabin and work from there on Saturday.
    I want to get a metal blade attachment for my weed-wacker so I can clear a little wider swath in a few spots--the trail itself is fine, but it'd be nice to be able to wear shorts and not end a bloody mess from all the veg.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Gotcha. Thanks. We use that as the last descent after the "Freund Canyon" like tank trapped road descent from the saddle above the cabin. Great finish. But, a shin whacker for sure. I'm heading over in about an hour and will stay the night and get some lopper work done on the trail to the east of the cabin in particular. I was going to ride down that trail from the saddle and check for loose "volcano puke" out in the landing areas and maybe lop some of the most obtrusive ones out of the way on my way down and also on a trail that drops to Watt road from the east about half way up to the cabin. We'll be out on the EMBA ride on Saturday so if you see a group. That's us. Probably will do lunch at the cabin.

You'll have to coordinate with Verslordr and her husby about mapping and naming, etc. They are already working that as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for the maps (and the work you did today out there Bob). I'm not going to make it this weekend, but thinking of heading out for an exploratory on my own Tuesday afternoon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Question VerslowRdr: That "best of 2011" loop you drew on the map -- which way to ride it, CCW or CW from parking lot?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just got back from some Joe Wattage, took the single track to the north/west of the main road which was new for me, my time up there last spring was all on the Winegar side. I'm pretty sure I saw Borneo headed in as I was unloading and saw his rig again when I got up to the cabin. I did a little clearing of babyheads and such on the way up, the run down is very good but I was reminded of the beating your shins take out there. Might get a chance to get out there again this weekend but not sure yet. I took a few pictures but no time to upload right now, might put them up later.

Gary
    Kool-Aid, Kool-Aid, Taste Great... Oh Yeaahh!

Slothful dirt hippie
    Just got back from visiting Borneo's camp site. Yowza it was getting cold up there- he might be looking at frost on that spare elk leg by his car in the morning at this rate.

Drove to the top 'crossover road'. Flowers are only just getting started up there, a couple small patches of snow in shaded north facing ditches and some water on the roads/in the meadows. Supposed to be in the high 60s even up that high next week so more to look forward to even by next weekend. LOTS of horse trailers camped out, so that to look forward to also....

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks Gary. Noticed your tracks over the horsey damage by the cabin as I walked back. The contour trail to the east of the main one from the cabin to the creek crossing got pruned back. As well as that down hill on the west side of the creek. All pruned back with loppers this morning and no complaints on the epic last descent. Got a new line for ya north, above the corral too. Gonna be fun (er) when ridden in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I saw all your work. I just got back from about 3 and a half hours with the weed wacker. Most things I worked on look good, but after the horse events I think we're going to need to build a few angled log water bars. It should be fun work!

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by euro-trash View Post
    I saw all your work. I just got back from about 3 and a half hours with the weed wacker. Most things I worked on look good, but after the horse events I think we're going to need to build a few angled log water bars. It should be fun work!
    Holy crap, weed whacker?!? Fantastic!

BTW there was a request from today's group to call the jump line + exit down from it "Happy Ending".

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    Holy crap, weed whacker?!? Fantastic!

BTW there was a request from today's group to call the jump line + exit down from it "Happy Ending".
    Done! I want to name another 'mustache ride'.

Group ride, 5:45ish on Wed?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Where the heck would one weed whack out there? And, angled log water bars are bad....

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by euro-trash View Post
    Done! I want to name another 'mustache ride'.

Group ride, 5:45ish on Wed?
    I'm limited to weekends down there unless I have an odd day off. Which is why I might be out there on Thursday morning. Gotta be back to Thorp school for a mother's day tea with my kindergartener at 2:20 though, and I'm guessing protocol would be to take a shower and change into clean clothing so that the kids have a clean canvas on which to apply yet another layer of crud.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Where the heck would one weed whack out there? And, angled log water bars are bad....
    I cleared-out the scrub that was over-hanging the trail. It was a shin-saving endeavor. It turned-out pretty nice--the heavy-duty plastic line was just the right size to clear-out the small stuff--I certainly wasn't looking to go overboard.

Those that are out on Wed can take a look, but the first pitch of the trail to the North of the Cabin is going to need some serious TLC soon. Last year we received one-third of our annual rainfall in two nights in mid-May--that trail is one similar storm from serious gully erosion. By yesterday afternoon, I hiked that section right after a train of about 10 horses--the steep sections were turning into moon dust. It's already incised about 10cm, and water is going to travel straight down the trail.

I'm not a fan of angled bars either (and I used to work post-wildfire restoration, so I'm not a newbie when it comes to soil retention), and they are certainly not necessary if the trail was built correctly--but for that short (40 m) section which is at about 12% straight down the fall line, it will take some angled mechanism to divert water off the trail and into the next ephemeral channel, which is fortunately protected by adequate vegetation.

The rest of the upper sections were looking great!

Cracker-magnon
    This line is going to be a ton of fun when worked in. I have something else I may explore/mark this week above/west of the hitching post.
    We had a great run down the jump line after we left you guys at lunch. I may have blown my fork...

[SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2004
    We need to start naming or numbering trails. I can't think of which one you are talking about. Can't just dig in a big rolling grade dip.? the horses wil step in the same plce getting over the wood and creat ruts me thinks.

Thanks gpsser, I'd like to get back over there and open it up a little in the middle to get some more super D sweepers in there though. May be time for some flagging and our 2 and 4 stroke friends....

Yebo Numzaan
    Thanks for the info and maps. My wife and i got out for a glorious day of sunshine y'day and explored for the first time. We didnt see a soul after leaving the parking.

Rode the trails to the West of the main road. Climbed to the cabin and descended back all the way down....the single track into the meadow is awesome. Climbed back up the W most road and took the first single track on the left and then climbed all the way to the furtherest / highest point. This trail was very overgrown / unused but fun exploring. No rattlers in the long grass!

This area has huge potential. I would like to work out the best route and to explore the Eastern trails.We rode for 3 hrs and got two of those wicked descents...which were very tasty.

Iron Horse brewery before heading home!
    I support EMBA

Slothful dirt hippie
    I got 4+ hours in yesterday and Borneo has hit the jackpot. Will try to post up the GPS/KML files tonight.

Wondering if it was your car I saw- silver 4wd smallish something w/ Rocky mounts- in the lot as I was leaving. Ran into GPSser taking a gal for a short first jaunt on her brand new MTB as I was taking off... saw a handful of horses and some jeeps on the roads, but spent a lot of time alone. BEAUTIFUL place.

Yebo Numzaan
    we were there from 11 - 2:30....didnt even see a bike rack in the lot (felt very outnumbered!). Pretty sure we got the exact same pic!
    I support EMBA

Slothful dirt hippie
    If anyone sees a white Chev pickup with a green evergreen sticker & black and white Ibis sticker, that's me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast