mtbr member

Japanese Gulch Work Party June 2nd

Please join us in the Gulch this Sunday, June 2nd, from 1-4pm. Meet at the entrance to the 5th Street parking lot on the west side.

No experience or tools necessary. If you have tools please feel free to bring them. Make sure you dress appropriately.

We work the Gulch every first Sunday of the month. So, mark your calendars.

To sign up on the Evergreen site for this Sunday click Here
    - Be Someone

mtbr member
    Rather than starting a thread I thought this might be a good place to ask a few questions. I rode the Gulch for the first time this year today and noticed some things (other than the dog park). I took our typical ride there, heading up the tracks to the old gate and heading down the trails on the east side of the tracks. It looks like the upper part of that side doesn't get much use anymore? The vegetation seems to be growing over the trail up there. The lower part seems to get some use though. The trails in general felt a lot more sketchy than I remember.

Anyway I went to http://www.japanesegulch.org/ and found a trail map but it didn't show the east side trails. The land to the east doesn't seem to be part of the "official" Japanese Gulch land on the map either. Should we be riding the trails to the east of of the tracks? I don't want to step on any feet by riding where we shouldn't.

mtbr member
    East side is where all the fun trails are
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    the east side (boeing side?) is the more freeridey side. the west side is where the loop trail is at. there is lots of nice trails throughout there, well maintained. im the same with you about the trails on the east side wondering if there bandit trails or not but ive seen a few people over there so i not quite sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Rode there last night. The trail down from the tracks to the beginning of Orion is in real need of being brushed back. Every time I ride there I think how much better the east side trails could be. There are some super fun sections but the trails are just so disjointed. It's probably because I think it's dumb to get off and push my bike up a couple short steep pitches. Oh well, at least it's close and has more downhill type riding than St.Eddies.

mtbr member
    The picture below shows most of the trails in the "Gulch" system. The city owned portion is highlighted in green. The Boeing portion is shown in orange, the Metropolitan property is red, and BNSF property is the sliver on each side of the tracks. The Japanese Gulch Group is actively seeking access to all of the property (w/ the exception of the BNSF property.) The Metropolitan property (98 acres) is currently for sale, and the closest to being preserved or lost forever to development. Please consider supporting the gulch through volunteering with various efforts (fundraising, trail work, campaigning, etc.) and/or by donating to preserve it.
    Japanese Gulch Work Party June 2nd-jg-boarder.jpg
    Here is another pic showing magnitude of west side that could be either preserved or lost to development.
    Japanese Gulch Work Party June 2nd-location-japanese-gulch-property-10-17-11-rev-1-.jpg
    I'm hoping to get permission/ official access to the Metropolitan (98 acres) in the near future. As for the Boeing side, In the past I've talked with Boeing Security, they have warned me about some car break-ins, and wished me a good ride. Not sure if I would that i would take that as an official sign of access to the Boeing side. We don't currently have an agreement with Boeing.

Bottom line... If the Gulch is a place you like to use then please get involved. Monthly meetings are held at the Mukilteo Chamber of Commerce.
    - Be Someone