mtbr member

Japanese Gulch - RR 12/1/13

A group of us wanted to try a new place so we headed up to Japanese Gulch. Luckily I new a local who was able to give us a tour. Having never been there before I wasnt sure what to expect.

We spent about 2.5 hours riding trails on both sides of the tracks and had a great time. Being able to climb up a mellow (for a bike) railroad grade, then rip around on fun singletrack as you work your way back down the hill was a great time! Some areas reminded be of Paradise Valley (fun twisty, rooty trails) , some areas were like Taylor mountain (smooth buff singletrack) and other areas reminded me a bit of Henry's ridge (rolling terrain with fun DH sections). The trails for th emost part were grippy and fast, without being muddy or loose. We did hit a few mud holes, but nothing too bad at all.

It was a good 45 minute drive each way to get there, but I'd definitely do it again. The area is much bigger than I expected and it has a lot of potential for even more cool trails too. We even got to watch a trail power up that hill to Boeing which was pretty cool.

If you have never been to Japanese Gulch I'd recommend checking it out. It has a fun mix of trails and I'm sure anyone could find something they like!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Nice! Thanks for the RR, Mr. Lynch. Almost went out there yesterday myself, but was scared off by the weather. Had a pretty good day at TKE instead...the end is near...

mtbr member
    It was nice to ride somewhere new, and then check out the fine crafted brews at Diamond Knot Brewery after the ride!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    For the mileage we got (~10.5) we didn't do anything twice and I know we missed a bunch of stuff. The weather was awesome. Haven't had a ride warm enough for just a jersey in a long time.

Big thanks for guiding the trip, Kord. We would have been bumbling around without seeing half as much without you there. I'm looking forward to riding there again.

There is a lot of potential for more trail up there too. Good to see. Thanks to the builders.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yup, it was a good ride. We got blessed with good weather and no rain! Glad you guys enjoyed riding there.

mtbr member
    Been really enjoying the trails there this year, lots to discover still for me too.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Even after all these years, it's still a hidden gem. People forget how big it really is and lots of options on both sides of the tracks. But, somehow, it's not on the "big picture" radar. Still got a few more "new to you" to check off Lynch et al....

mtbr member
    There are a few other places up north I'd like to checkout, but they are all pretty long drives and I need to be convinced they are worth it! Its easier to just to out to Black Diamond and get a mix of everything during the winter without driving far.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    What other places up north are you still looking to check out?
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    "someone" is always pushing for us (or anyone for that matter) to go check out Moss Lake and Cherry Valley.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    LOL, no idea who that is

They're both fun trails worth at least one ride, though of the two I like Cherry the most. Both are a bit of a drive for me too, so not places I'd ride too frequently either.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    We will go ride anywhere once, but there are a lot of places I dont really have nay desire to go back to. Banner and Tolt are a couple that are not worth the drive to me. If they were close by I ride them all the time, but driving an hour each way really lowers the enjoyment of them.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    I hear you, I'm the same way with places like Tapeworm or Tolt. Moss Lake is likely in that category for me too, though I've been to Cherry quite a few times.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Tapeworm is 2 minutes from my house, so I ride there alot, but I wouldn't drive an hour to ride it more than once a year!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i ride there all the time, its right down the road from my house. i dident even know how or where the entrance at the top of the hill for the Boeing side was tell late spring. i just hate the RR grade, im not a climber so it kicks my butt every time. i never really see to many bikes out there but im usually there early in the morning, its mainly runners and people out walking with there dogs and what not.