mtbr member

Japanese Gulch Jump Park

Please click the link to the following Mukilteo Beacon article and click yes.

https://t.co/redirect?url=http%3A%2F...5&nid=141+1070
    - Be Someone

mtbr member
    Uphill battle it looks like by the votes. Isn't there already a bunch of huge jumps out there?
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Jumps have been there over 10 years. There is a group trying to legitimize them. There is also a few people that are trying to demonize them. They posted a bunch of negative pub about the jumps and then put out a poll asking people if they are for or against destruction in the Gulch.

I don't personally use the jumps, but I do see that they have value.
    - Be Someone

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    Uphill battle it looks like by the votes. Isn't there already a bunch of huge jumps out there?
    I think these are those jumps.

A legal dirt jump place needs to happen.

Please share the link with your bike friendly friends.

mtbr member
    votes are pretty close now!

i dont know why some people are so against things they dont use. I voted yes years ago for the Seattle Opera House, but I have no interest in anything they do there. I did feel others would love it and get good use of it so why not have one? Same thing goes for the dirt jumps.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Last edited by pnj; 03-31-2014 at 09:42 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yes is in the lead, good work! Lagit jumps are safer.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The main lady complaining should take a trip over to Tokul and see the clear cutting going on. That puts the gulch to shame...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pnj View Post
    So this is what i wrote to him or who ever it was:
    So what about the rest of the trails? I ride out there alot and see many, many people walking there dogs or jogging or even enjoying a nice stroll. So are you wanting to shut them down to? I understand you dont want the durt jumps cause there a eyesore and dangerous. on a related note i lived in Michigan and a bunch of kids and adults came up with a plan and got a legal dirt jump spot built in Ann Arbor : https://foursquare.com/v/bandemer-pa...aa76b03d2f2d4b MMBA • View topic - Dirt Jumps? so maybe we could do the same thing. maybe not there in the gulch but something local? dont kill the whole gulch because of one place and your idea of what it should be. we all need to work together on this form the get go seeing how the city just acquired the land and we as a group of people that love the outdoors can work together on this and make it a place for everyone, otherwise there going to keep building and destroying the land and your going to keep filing complaints untell the city paves it and makes it a parking lot. please visit Washington we would love to open a dialog about this before its to late.

p,s I'm not a wordsmith but i figured talking to the person instead of calling them names and putting them down would be more productive.

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    it's a woman, fwiw. And I'm all for positive conversations. She has since changed her stance, somewhat.

I'm curious how skateboard parks deal with liability issues?
    Last edited by pnj; 03-31-2014 at 09:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Is this poll still up somewhere? The link doesn't have it. Just saw this and wanted to add my vote!

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The poll ended after seven days.

As it sits now, Mukilteo is doing a survey of the area to determine if dirt jumps will work in that section of the park. They are also trying to come up with a plan of what they want the park/gulch to include as far as activities and public use.

We should have some kind of an answer in a year or so...

You can write the mayor of mukileo and voice your opinion.
    Jennifer Gregerson seems to think jumps are a good idea, or at least she's open to the idea..
    jgregerson@ci.mukilteo.wa.us

mtbr member
    I've been riding there since 2000, and those jumps have been there as long as I can remember, in various stages of progression. Back in early 2000's, I could actually hit a few of them, but they have been geared toward hard tails for a while now. I hope we can keep the Gulch a great riding spot, as there are no alternatives for 30-45 minutes in any direction.
    "My riding style - like I'm being chased by a clown." - rscecil007

mtbr member
    In the mean time... If you would like to have a voice, please consider attending the next Japanese Gulch Trails Committee meeting. They are typically the last Thursday of the month at Rosehill Community center in Mukilteo (7:30 pm).
    - Be Someone

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Emailed Jennifer Gregerson and got this back.

On June 16th, were forming a stakeholders group to hold a few meetings over the next year and work with a landscape architect on ideas for the Gulch. I am ccing our Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts Director, Jennifer Berner, who will be managing that process. She can add you to the list so you are updated on when those meetings occur, so that you might attend. That would be the best way! You can also share your thoughts with the City Council easily by emailing elected@ci.mukilteo.wa.us.

I encourage you to track the Gulch subcommittee and attend those opportunities to help shape our vision for Japanese Gulch. I think that will be the most effective way to participate.

Thanks for reaching out!

Jennifer

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Who is Jennifer Gregerson? Is she the woman originally objecting to the jumps?

She has a lot of exclamation points in her message to you. Just an observation.

mtbr member
    Jennifer is the Mayor of Mukilteo.
    - Be Someone