Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Last word is all yours...

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Issaquah Mountain Bike Task Force

Last October, the city of Issaquah formally formed a Mountain Bike Task Force under the guidance of the Issaquah City Council. The purpose of the task force is to advise the City in the stated objective: “Continue to work toward the addition of a mountain bike park in Issaquah and connecting trails to regional mountain bike trails.”

The task force consists of nearly a dozen members, of various backgrounds and interest/experience in mountain biking.

This task force meets monthly, on the last Monday of every month, at 5:00pm through 6:30pm at the Issaquah Trails Center House, on 100 Bush, Issaquah. The task force is temporary and expected to provide a final deliverable by end of the summer. The meetings are open to the public, and every meeting begins with time allotted to public input.

To date the task force has been focusing on organizational structure and information gathering (November & December meetings did not take place due to holidays and weather, so there have really only been 2 productive meetings).

I encourage anyone interested in providing public comment or just listening in, to attend.
    --
    -bp

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Hey BP, thanks for doing this! I've got an idea or two rattling around in my skull, but won't be able to attend any meetings. Could you give me a call or drop me an email? I don't have your number. justin (at) vanderpol.org.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Small world stuff. I see Wesselman is on there too.... We got a snowy tour out east of my place a while back.

Good luck with all that's going on.

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Evergreen Board Member to present at April meeting

Hi All,

Carolyn Hope will be the guest speaker presenting to the Issaquah Mountain Bike Task Force at the next (April) meeting. The meeting is scheduled for Monday, 4/25 at 5pm at the Issaquah Trails Center House in Issaquah, at 100 Bush.

Carolyn is the Senior Parks Planner for the City of Redmond, and also sits on the Board of Directors for Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance.

These meetings are open to the public and there is an opportunity for public input - or just come and listen!

Again, the purpose of the Task Force is to make recommendations to the City Council about new biking opportunities - such as trails or skills parks - within Issaquah.

Although not required, I would appreciate it if you drop me a note (PM) letting me know if you're thinking about coming, so I can get a sense of how full the room will be.
    --
    -bp

Survey underway at Duthie Hill, Saturday 4/22

Hey All,

There will be a couple TF guys polling riders tomorrow about riding interests. This information is intended to help clarify Issaquah's plans to expand mountain biking opportunities. If you have a minute, please give these guys your thoughts on the questions.

Thanks,
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by r1de
    Hey All,

There will be a couple TF guys polling riders tomorrow about riding interests. This information is intended to help clarify Issaquah's plans to expand mountain biking opportunities. If you have a minute, please give these guys your thoughts on the questions.

Thanks,
    I talked to one of your folks doing a survey while on the trail a few weeks ago. The riding in Issaquah is already very good and it can be so much better. More trails, bigger/more connected trail networks, more riding.... Keep up the good work all y'all.

IMBTF meeting Monday, May 23rd, 5:00pm - DNR in attendance

The Recreation Manager for DNR, Snoqualmie Unit will be on hand to answer some questions from the TF about East Tiger Mountain trails. Meetings are open to the public. Location is the Issaquah Trails Center House, 100 Bush, Issaquah.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Open up Squak Mountain to mountain bikers!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I'd like to attend, but wouldnt make it till 6pm.

I would like to speak up for making the new east tiger trails as flowy, and "all mountain" Style, technically challenging as possible. I would like to be assured that the plan is not to build more buff, wide, straight and flat bi-directional multi-use trails, like the Preston or grand ridge. Those are great trails, but we need something more bike specific (and realistically, it's going to see %98 mountain bike use and probably be built using volunteer labor by mountain bikers.) I want to hear that the DNR acknowledges the incredibly high demand for long, technically challenging descents, which is what currently fuels illegal building and poaching. I hope there is an opportunity at tiger, to provide a legitimate, controlled place for this kind of riding and building.
    Last edited by FM; 05-18-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Anyone who made the IMTBF meeting want to provide a summary? I've been out of town the last two weeks and could not make it.

Summary for 5/23

Yes, here is a summary of the meeting:

• No public input...
    • Sam Jarrett from DNR (Snoqualmie Unit, includes Tiger Mountain) presented and answered questions from the TF members about Tiger in particular and DNR/NRCA/trail creation in general.
    • Preston RR trail (Tiger) had 60,000 user visits last year per IR counter. Trailhead had 150,000 user visits during 6 month season.
    • The original three Tiger trails open to bikes (Preston, Iverson, NW Timber) were selected for bike use in 1986 rec plan based on the assumption that since they were RR grades, they would be good choices.
    • Plan to build a stacked loop network for bikes at Tiger.
    • New East Tiger Summit trail is in design phase now, will add 500' vert and Evergreen is involved in the design.
    • The entire north end of Tiger is NRCA. There is supposed to be a 5 year review cycle but that apparently has not yet happened, so could be done any time.
    • Typically NRCA excludes mountain bikes and equestrian use but there are exceptions.
    • We discussed options for connecting Issaquah and/or Preston into the E Tiger mountain bike trails via singletrack, what would be involved, challenges.
    • DNR adopted FS/IMBA standards for MTB trail design.

Other things that happened at the meeting:

• Decision to sunset the survey and mapping subteams. Mapping data collection is done, and the survey taking is almost complete (there is a phone survey portion in progress). Interesting notes on survey data so far:
      • Beginner/kids areas scored unexpectedly low as far as interest in skills parks goes
      • More XC mileage scored unexpectedly high
      • Duthie Field survey invovled about 150 people in two hours on 4/23, and about 1/2 of them came in the south entrance (Grand Ridge). Surprise! The 150 we were able to talk to represented about 80% of those that rode by; most of the missed riders were due to survey takers being tied up with somebody. Only a handful said "no thanks".
      • King County has a trail counter at the north (boardwalk) entrance. About 2500 riders for March, and about 1900 riders for the first two weeks of April. These numbers speak volumes. Especially given the bullet above about the south entrance...
    • Plan to form new subteams for skills park input, XC/connector trail opportunities, and trail application process.
    --
    -bp

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Great summary! Thanks for carrying the water on this.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks, good to know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    thanks for the summary.

Quote Originally Posted by r1de View Post
    [*] Plan to build a stacked loop network for bikes at Tiger.

Could I ask you to elaborate on this? Does "stacked" just mean "full" or something specific that I don't understand?

Tiger has oh so much potential.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by dromond View Post
    Could I ask you to elaborate on this? Does "stacked" just mean "full" or something specific that I don't understand?
    A stacked loop is one way to design part or all of a trail network. Imagine having several loops on top of each other that are interconnected.

They offer a variety in length and difficulty. For instance, the loops that are further away from a trail head can be more difficult while the ones closer are easier in skill level.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    A stacked loop is one way to design part or all of a trail network. Imagine having several loops on top of each other that are interconnected.

They offer a variety in length and difficulty. For instance, the loops that are further away from a trail head can be more difficult while the ones closer are easier in skill level.
    All is now clear.

Summary for 6/27

• Plan is to wrap up the Task Force, next month at the earliest. This includes finishing the document of recommendations that will be presented to the City Council.
    • Discussed the June IMBA newsletter, information on the economic vitality impacts of mountain biking (subject was Jackson Hole).
    • Bike Park at Issaquah Highlands is expected to be a given and potentially may be transferred to King County Parks. It's a very small, generally flat, open area under the power lines. Planning on providing some recommendations for development.
    • Discussions on a new process for trail proposal, approval, and implementation for the City of Issaquah. Sticky points are: environmental impacts, and maintenance agreements. Discussions about whether such a process is warranted, given the number of preexisting trails created without it. Discussed reusing the IMBA Trail Solutions guidelines for new trail process.
    • Discussions about separate bike/pedestrian trail from end of Sunset Way to railroad grade, and signage.
    • Canned the idea of doing a phone survey; too impractical, too little data. Looking to add a man-on-the-stree survey instead (less targeted than the Duthie Hill field survey).
    --
    -bp

Man without bike
    Jun 2004
    Very cool. Thanks for bringing the updates.

Meeting tonight, gearing up for the end

Hey all,

The agenda hasn't been sent out yet, but I'm pretty sure we're going to be spending the bulk of the time reviewing and consensus-building on the document that we've been putting together for the final deliverable. I think next month will be our final meeting; if you have public input, now is really the time to put it out there...
    --
    -bp

There will be another meeting tonight, 5:00pm

Same location: 100 Bush, Issaquah (Issaquah Trails Center House).
    --
    -bp

Latest Update: Task Force drawing to a close

Hey All,

A lot has been going on with the task force over the last few months. The original objective was to deliver a document to the City of Issaquah, that provided recommendations on how to “Continue to work toward the addition of a mountain bike park in Issaquah and connecting trails to regional mountain bike trails.” Such a document now exists, and is scheduled to be presented to the Parks Board this month. I believe this presentation will conclude the task force.

The document was being hosted publicly via Google docs while it was being created. It has now been moved to Word for formatting/editing. I will post a link to the electronic copy when it is made available online again.

Before getting into the details of what's in the document, here are a few subjective observations - read carefully: my opinions only - from my time on the task force:

There were few easy or unanimous decisions reached in this group. Although a large portion of the dozen or so task force members were mountain bike advocates, the composition of the team was balanced out by a few people who I would describe as "definitely not mountain bike advocates". For example, the Issaquah Environmental Council and Issaquah Alps Trails Club were well represented, and my experience at the table was that some of these individuals have, at best, apathy for mountain biking in general, and at worst, misconceptions and mistrust that stymies the growth of our sport in this area. I'm throwing this out there not as a call to polarize, but rather as a call to see reality for what it is, and consider the opportunity here to try to change some of those perceptions for the better. Worst-case, haters gonna hate and there's nothing you can do about it except take the higher road. Taking the high road doesn't guarantee success, but taking the low road pretty much guarantees failure.

Also, the Issaquah Alps Trails Club president himself was present at every single meeting from start to finish, despite not actually being a member of the task force. That shows a level of interest and commitment that is worth being aware of.

Here's roughly what's in the document:

• Survey data - both phone and what we gathered on-site at Duthie - showing statistics that support and guide direction on building more trails and skills parks.
    • Design concepts and recommendations regarding the development of a bike park in the Issaquah Highlands Central Park area (connected to Duthie via Grand Ridge). Thanks to Evergreen and Westra in particular for this.
    • Possibile ways Park Pointe property could be used for mountain biking - stiff opposition on this one, and no recommendations - just ideas.
    • Recommendations on a number of desirable connector trails and trailhead enhancements in the area, that would allow for more riding destination-to-destination without having to drive/park.
    • A process that the City could use to evaluate proposals for more mountain bike trails in the area.
    • Some recommendations on mitigating user-conflict on multi-use/shared-use trails.
    --
    -bp

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yo!

Bryan, nice to meet you (on the phone..) the other day. I can't wait to be a part of the positive outcomes and actions that I know will come from the hard work of all the people involved.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Love it. More ride spots.

More local press on this

Article in the Issaquah | Sammamish Reporter.
    --
    -bp

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Presentation scheduled for 10/24

Hello All,

Even though the document is not posted officially on the City's website yet, it is already being passed around between interested parties. A copy has been posted here:

https://docs.google.com/a/terran.org...hl=en_US&pli=1

This document is to be presented to the Park Board (City of Issaquah) on Monday, October 24th, at 7pm at Tibbetts Creek Manor:

City of Issaquah - Agendas & Minutes

More information on this shortly.
    --
    -bp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast