mtbr member
    Aug 2008

iPhone App - Upload GPX and get turn-by-turn?

Hello

We are planning some signage in the Wenatchee Area to help riders navigate the trails and are looking for an app that will allow you to upload a GPX file (via a URL or email attachment) and then it will give them turn by turn navigation. I have Co-Rider installed but I'm wondering if there is something better?

Thanks in advance!

Ray, WenatcheeOutdoorsForum.org

mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: iPhone App - Upload GPX and get turn-by-turn?

You can upload to garmin base camp as a course and then to a compatible device. I think the backpacker app for android would work.

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2013

Is the purpose to get people to put the signs in the correct place?

Or just so someone riding the trail can have directions on a smart phone?

If it is the 1st, u could just upload the gpx u have to a nav program like base camp and then add way points where the signs are. Then export to a device.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Second reason. Not only directions but links to audio files, images, videos, maps. All delivered by QR. Or even some real time trail info about closures or trail conditions or issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by johnbike81 View Post
    You can upload to garmin base camp as a course and then to a compatible device. I think the backpacker app for android would work.

Does Base Camp do turn by turn?

mtbr member
    May 2013

No, I just use it to plot out a course or way points and upload it to my garmin or cell phone nav app. Lots of the nicer hand held gps devices have the turn by turn feature, but not sure of any specific apps. The one you have may be the best. There are some good nav apps where you can pull up a gpx route and waypoints for nav purposes and track your progress. The problem with phone apps is a lot of them use both data and gps which kill your battery pretty quick. Some others may have some better options or know of a good app though. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    fyi, I used Co-Rider tonight on my ride. I emailed myself the GPX file and then opened it in Co-Rider on my iPhone 5. It did a spectacular job of letting me know when the next turn was, in fact it was almost too much. If you were in a car and moving faster (or maybe riding downhill) the directions would be at a good speed. But climbing uphill it was getting a little old to hear "right turn in 100 yards. right turn in 75 yards. right turn in 25 yards." And the funniest part was that for whatever degree of turn I was taking it always called it a "slight right turn" or "slight left turn", even when it was a greater-than-90 degree switchback.

But it was very accurate and I would definitely use this while riding in a place I was unfamiliar with and wanted to make sure I was headed the right direction. As long as you have the GPX file you'll have an idea of where you're going. Plus, it's free!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just seems so wrong in so many ways..... Mountain biking isn't the same as trying to find your hotel in a different city than you live in.

Would live to see someone try to use it in Tolt. :0

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I understand your thought Borneo, but my endgame is to have tools available for visitors to our area who may be hesitant to ride new trails because they might get lost. It's just a tool to be used or not and if it goes against your personal code of mt biking then more power to you.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I think your best bet is to host .gpx files and let the user select whatever app&hardware they prefer.

Then you don't have to worry about doing any tech support.

mtbr member
    May 2013

I think FM has it right. I find it hard to follow a gpx map on my garmin 200 while riding.

If the terrain has lots of turns or intersecting trails, it can be pretty inaccurate. If you make a database with gpx files and way points, people can just upload to a smart phone or garmin and focus on the ride. I get lost sometimes, but if its an unfamiliar area I just pull up my gpx on backpacker and can find my way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks all. This is great feedback.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    No worries rbwen. It's just the way I roll. All I need is a decent paper map and I'm good. Just thought that there was a big difference between that and constantly, "getting directions" verbally. If the area is signed well enough, a paper map or one on an iphone or whatever should be enough. But, I assume we all know that.

I suppose if you also have your own personal drone out there you can document it that way too.

But, getting a little lost is one of the things I find pretty cool about mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Every time I've been lost, I had no internet connection and GPS was super slow and not reliable on a smart phone

But you could have it download while connects, maybe even cache based on geo location so I wouldn't have to do the work.

Are you also thinking this could help find trails in areas you are unfamiliar with?

I don't think I'd like the verbal turn by turn, but wouldn't mind pulling out my phone to check a map, get some tips from other riders, directions, things like that when I need it. I'd use it like a paper map, but it'd be digital. I always thought it'd be cool to crowd source it so users could upload video, photos and tips so I could research a trail and know if I'd even like it before I go. But half the fun is getting lost and figuring it all out