Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,531

    Images of 8 Cougars at Moses Coulee

    This give's me a little chill down my spine... as a person who rides allot by myself...http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2...hes-eight-big/

    Just a ways north of where I was riding a couple weeks ago...

  2. #2
    Slothful dirt hippie
    Reputation: verslowrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,554
    Eh... they've seen you, you just didn't get a chance to wave.

    I see tracks sometimes on my lunch hour rides behind town. I'll take my chances with them any day over night riding in Tacoma....
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,531
    For sure. I tell my wife "the most dangerous thing I do is drive to the trail head"(when I drive to the trail head). Lately I tell her "If some thing happens to me out there, there's a good chance I'll get it on video"... she doesn't like that one as much. That's just a particularly scary lookin' group of rabblerouser's there. We see track's out behind the house all the time too. We're just a couple minutes from this side of the L.T.Murray... about 4.5 miles west of Selah. We'll have to add "nice kitty...nice kitty" to our "hey bear.... hey bear"... I caught myself on video once singing "The Flintstones" once on a trail on the Oregon Coast surrounded by juicy berries.

  4. #4
    gmoney was gmoneybike
    Reputation: ghashmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    304
    Cougars schmooozers...you don't want to meet up with one of these on your next night ride...adult language but other than that safe for work...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg
    Were looking at balz

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,035

    Misleading!

    I thought Moses Coulee was a new bar at Whistler....

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    292
    I stopped at Palisades (to photograph the old store) and in a conversation with one of the ranchers in the area was told that if I were planning to bicycle Douglas Creek I should probably take a gun with me. I did cycle Douglas but I thought long and hard about it and might consider it if I solo there again.

    Moses Coulee is pretty active in the warmer months with the big RV area there. I'll bet those pics were a BIG hit with the folks who spend weekend time with their kids at Rimrock Meadows!!!

    WDR

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goneskiian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    I thought Moses Coulee was a new bar at Whistler....
    Was I the only one that laughed about this? Funny stuff Borneo!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by ward
    For sure. I tell my wife "the most dangerous thing I do is drive to the trail head"(when I drive to the trail head). Lately I tell her "If some thing happens to me out there, there's a good chance I'll get it on video"... she doesn't like that one as much. That's just a particularly scary lookin' group of rabblerouser's there. We see track's out behind the house all the time too. We're just a couple minutes from this side of the L.T.Murray... about 4.5 miles west of Selah. We'll have to add "nice kitty...nice kitty" to our "hey bear.... hey bear"... I caught myself on video once singing "The Flintstones" once on a trail on the Oregon Coast surrounded by juicy berries.
    When I was a kid (1950s) I could ride my bike anywhere and never see a critter. No one saw wolves, grizzlies, or cougars... and no one saw bald eagles either. Now they're all back and suddenly it's more clear to me why our grandparents killed 'em off.

    They didn't get all the rattlesnakes though. (But most of them, I think.)

    I love the "I'll get it on video" line. I have had the same thought... but about cars.

    WDR

  9. #9
    Slothful dirt hippie
    Reputation: verslowrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,554
    Quote Originally Posted by washington_desert_rat
    When I was a kid (1950s) I could ride my bike anywhere and never see a critter. No one saw wolves, grizzlies, or cougars... and no one saw bald eagles either. Now they're all back and suddenly it's more clear to me why our grandparents killed 'em off...
    you can always ride in a large urban parking lot. Nothing but pavement and people. I'm sure it's safe.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr
    you can always ride in a large urban parking lot. Nothing but pavement and people. I'm sure it's safe.
    The cars are scarier than the cougars. I'm always curious about the folks who drive around the parking lot at 30mph and then get out and walk with their kids to the stores.

    (I've never used that smiley before... kinda fun.)

    But when a local rancher (who presumably rides horses in the area a lot) tells you to carry a gun and the paper publishes photos of 7 cougars in Douglas County I start to think again about solo riding in areas where critters can jump down at you. Still, it does beat parking lots.

    WDR

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: goneskiian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,390
    I'm with you WDR. I'd rather be a cougar meal than an SUV hood ornament.

    Yet, I still ride on the road way more than I do the MTB.

    That was fun to use!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •