Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012

I'm So Embarrassed

Dear white Pivot rider with the red helmet who was slaying the pipeline re-route trail in St. Eds like Cam Zink's Red Bull Rampage winning run,

Clearly, when politely asked to stop skidding corners, we were mistaken on your identity. We thought you were some local punk with total disregard for the trails and those who build/maintain them...how were we to know you are so gar that you launched the happy ending at Duthie (obviously your preferred location) so hard you came down in St. Eds? My mistake, you are awesome.

When you responded to our request to not skid by saying "build me some berms and I wont have to" two things came to mind: 1 - Thats what I am doing at exactly this moment and 2 - Thats a false statement. But I apologize, again, I didnt realize you were so dripping with steeze.

I offered that you grab a shovel and you replied with "I build all the time in here but you f'ers tear it all out...[expletive that rhymes with maggots]" I am intimately familiar with the park and I have yet to see any building you speak of...but again, you're radness makes me believe you have a bat cave entrance to the ultimate secret trail.

So I offer my apology for not realizing that skidding corners IS acceptable when you are indeed God like as you are. I would also like to offer an advance apology for the new trail we are building aimed at giving bikes something you wont find anywhere else in the park...because it's certainly not going to be up to your level...sorry. I am also sorry for not speaking your language, maybe if I learn to toss expletives as frequently as you skid corners and slay beginner trails maybe the two of us could see eye to eye.

Next time I am out building, I will lean on the memory of my brush with greatness and hope it inspires me.

mtbr member
    Redbull Rampage - St Edwards Park!

I find most riders to be polite when trail building, but you do get the occasional idiot. The only time I've had any problems has been with teenagers. I was rerouting a berm after a jump, had cones and a HUGE orange sign on said jump that read "Rider Alert: trail work ahead" and a couple kids come ripping thru anyway, launch the jump, skid into my tools and then start complaining that I'm "ruining their flow". hard not to crack a skull with a Rogue Hoe on people like that.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

EMBA Member
    When I first started riding, if you skidded more than a very minimal amount, you were considered an unskilled rider. Oh, how times have changed.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    To the rider in question - yeah, your riding style might impress some (but no one that matters) but if you want to impress a larger audience, fess up, own it that you verbally abused the people providing trails for you whilst physically abusing the trails being provided for you. Then go a step further and pick up a shovel at a work party and take part in making the park what you want it to be. Do that and we can both laugh it off. Ignore it and the trail gnomes will surely have satisfaction when karma catches up with you.

Slothful dirt hippie
    I think it was this guy....
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=voNqjCAy6Sg
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: I'm So Embarrassed

Quote Originally Posted by fluxcapacitor View Post
    Dear white Pivot rider with the red helmet who was slaying the pipeline re-route trail in St. Eds like Cam Zink's Red Bull Rampage winning run,

Clearly, when politely asked to stop skidding corners, we were mistaken on your identity. We thought you were some local punk with total disregard for the trails and those who build/maintain them...how were we to know you are so gar that you launched the happy ending at Duthie (obviously your preferred location) so hard you came down in St. Eds? My mistake, you are awesome.

When you responded to our request to not skid by saying "build me some berms and I wont have to" two things came to mind: 1 - Thats what I am doing at exactly this moment and 2 - Thats a false statement. But I apologize, again, I didnt realize you were so dripping with steeze.

I offered that you grab a shovel and you replied with "I build all the time in here but you f'ers tear it all out...[expletive that rhymes with maggots]" I am intimately familiar with the park and I have yet to see any building you speak of...but again, you're radness makes me believe you have a bat cave entrance to the ultimate secret trail.

So I offer my apology for not realizing that skidding corners IS acceptable when you are indeed God like as you are. I would also like to offer an advance apology for the new trail we are building aimed at giving bikes something you wont find anywhere else in the park...because it's certainly not going to be up to your level...sorry. I am also sorry for not speaking your language, maybe if I learn to toss expletives as frequently as you skid corners and slay beginner trails maybe the two of us could see eye to eye.

Next time I am out building, I will lean on the memory of my brush with greatness and hope it inspires me.
    Your trail tools will work as well on spokes as roots. Offer to demonstrate next time.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    I think it was this guy....
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=voNqjCAy6Sg
    Nice, now I know everything about bike parks.
    Reminds me of this..
    Performance - YouTube
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I don't often break out the Pivot. But, when I do, I like to lay down some fat skids on your beginner bermless trails...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by freakybro View Post
    When I first started riding, if you skidded more than a very minimal amount, you were considered an unskilled rider. Oh, how times have changed.
    This. As awesome as those slo mo shots in the bike movies of the skids with the dirt flying towards the camera are.... It's inspired a generation of copycats destroying trails.

mtbr member
    To the batcave!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Truth! Although knowing how to control a loose rear end is a valuable skill, why would anyone voluntarily tear up trail? If you need to skid, hit the fire roads...

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    I don't often break out the Pivot. But, when I do, I like to lay down some fat skids on your beginner bermless trails...
    so it WAS you!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    so it WAS you!!
    Are you kidding? I can't afford a second bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

I'm So Embarrassed

Quote Originally Posted by IrieOutdoors View Post
    Truth! Although knowing how to control a loose rear end is a valuable skill
    How to control a loose rear end:

Option A: Don't eat things that might disagree with you.

Option B: Don't date a tramp.

bro not pro
    nice write up. appreciate the sarcastic humor, clever imagery. The challenge remains; how do we change the behavior ?
    I've been thinking about making signs for a precious 410 trail that is being chunderized by mindless skidding fools. The obvious would be "No Skidding" ... but maybe more effective "Flow it, dont' skid it "
    any suggestions ?
    G O N Z

I'm really diggin it!

I'm So Embarrassed

Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery View Post
    This. As awesome as those slo mo shots in the bike movies of the skids with the dirt flying towards the camera are.... It's inspired a generation of copycats destroying trails.
    The "Canadian Kickout" couldn't die a quicker death. I think the industry needs to consider the impact of showing imagery like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    The "Canadian Kickout" couldn't die a quicker death. I think the industry needs to consider the impact of showing imagery like that.
    I agree - too many photos glorifying the skid.
    Imagine "Climbing" or "Rock and Ice" having a cover photo of someone on an established rock route chipping a bucket hold with their hammer. Wouldn't happen.

Where is the ethos of "leave it as you found it" in mountain biking?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

I'm So Embarrassed

Climbers strongly self police their own kind. Lots of public shame for route chippers. It's taken a long time to sort out climbing ethics though, so I expect same with our sport.

We've got to just keep spreading the word that skidding sucks, and if you know any filmers, work on them to dump the slo-mo flying dirt shots from their edits.

I'm really diggin it!

I'm So Embarrassed

What many don't understand is that when high caliber riders film a trail segment and blowing out a berm they often built that trail. Young or new riders don't understand how much effort goes into a production, including all of the trail work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fat-tired Roadie
    Gotta love those badass riders who slay St. Ed's or, my favorite in my new location, are so awesome at descending the Three Pigs that they need to take POV footage so the rest of us can see how awesome at descending an easy two-way trail they are.

It does suck, though because I think it's important to have networks like St. Ed's, and have them not be chewed up and sketchy. Let alone falling into the creek.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Still true...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonz View Post
    any suggestions ?
    Put in trials like features before the turn, more fun the slower you go...

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    Folks need to learn to ride. I'm seeing skid marks on straight stretches at Tiger. Trail design can help, but if folks don't understand how to feather brakes then it doesn't matter. Hint look much further out than your front tire (team riders that applies to you especially). Besides, we're not going to continue building dumb features. Expect more tech, yet sustainable--yes it's possible. You'll become a better rider or you'll go to back to skinny tires. The decision is yours.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Don't be a SKIDIOT!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast