Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    150

    I'm So Embarrassed

    Dear white Pivot rider with the red helmet who was slaying the pipeline re-route trail in St. Eds like Cam Zink's Red Bull Rampage winning run,

    Clearly, when politely asked to stop skidding corners, we were mistaken on your identity. We thought you were some local punk with total disregard for the trails and those who build/maintain them...how were we to know you are so gar that you launched the happy ending at Duthie (obviously your preferred location) so hard you came down in St. Eds? My mistake, you are awesome.

    When you responded to our request to not skid by saying "build me some berms and I wont have to" two things came to mind: 1 - Thats what I am doing at exactly this moment and 2 - Thats a false statement. But I apologize, again, I didnt realize you were so dripping with steeze.

    I offered that you grab a shovel and you replied with "I build all the time in here but you f'ers tear it all out...[expletive that rhymes with maggots]" I am intimately familiar with the park and I have yet to see any building you speak of...but again, you're radness makes me believe you have a bat cave entrance to the ultimate secret trail.

    So I offer my apology for not realizing that skidding corners IS acceptable when you are indeed God like as you are. I would also like to offer an advance apology for the new trail we are building aimed at giving bikes something you wont find anywhere else in the park...because it's certainly not going to be up to your level...sorry. I am also sorry for not speaking your language, maybe if I learn to toss expletives as frequently as you skid corners and slay beginner trails maybe the two of us could see eye to eye.

    Next time I am out building, I will lean on the memory of my brush with greatness and hope it inspires me.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr. Lynch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,130
    Redbull Rampage - St Edwards Park!


    I find most riders to be polite when trail building, but you do get the occasional idiot. The only time I've had any problems has been with teenagers. I was rerouting a berm after a jump, had cones and a HUGE orange sign on said jump that read "Rider Alert: trail work ahead" and a couple kids come ripping thru anyway, launch the jump, skid into my tools and then start complaining that I'm "ruining their flow". hard not to crack a skull with a Rogue Hoe on people like that.
    13 SJ Evo, 14 Aurum, 14 Fatboy, 15 P.3

  3. #3
    EMBA Member
    Reputation: Ladmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,670
    When I first started riding, if you skidded more than a very minimal amount, you were considered an unskilled rider. Oh, how times have changed.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    150
    To the rider in question - yeah, your riding style might impress some (but no one that matters) but if you want to impress a larger audience, fess up, own it that you verbally abused the people providing trails for you whilst physically abusing the trails being provided for you. Then go a step further and pick up a shovel at a work party and take part in making the park what you want it to be. Do that and we can both laugh it off. Ignore it and the trail gnomes will surely have satisfaction when karma catches up with you.

  5. #5
    Slothful dirt hippie
    Reputation: verslowrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,740
    I think it was this guy....
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=voNqjCAy6Sg
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

  6. #6
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    Re: I'm So Embarrassed

    Quote Originally Posted by fluxcapacitor View Post
    Dear white Pivot rider with the red helmet who was slaying the pipeline re-route trail in St. Eds like Cam Zink's Red Bull Rampage winning run,

    Clearly, when politely asked to stop skidding corners, we were mistaken on your identity. We thought you were some local punk with total disregard for the trails and those who build/maintain them...how were we to know you are so gar that you launched the happy ending at Duthie (obviously your preferred location) so hard you came down in St. Eds? My mistake, you are awesome.

    When you responded to our request to not skid by saying "build me some berms and I wont have to" two things came to mind: 1 - Thats what I am doing at exactly this moment and 2 - Thats a false statement. But I apologize, again, I didnt realize you were so dripping with steeze.

    I offered that you grab a shovel and you replied with "I build all the time in here but you f'ers tear it all out...[expletive that rhymes with maggots]" I am intimately familiar with the park and I have yet to see any building you speak of...but again, you're radness makes me believe you have a bat cave entrance to the ultimate secret trail.

    So I offer my apology for not realizing that skidding corners IS acceptable when you are indeed God like as you are. I would also like to offer an advance apology for the new trail we are building aimed at giving bikes something you wont find anywhere else in the park...because it's certainly not going to be up to your level...sorry. I am also sorry for not speaking your language, maybe if I learn to toss expletives as frequently as you skid corners and slay beginner trails maybe the two of us could see eye to eye.

    Next time I am out building, I will lean on the memory of my brush with greatness and hope it inspires me.
    Your trail tools will work as well on spokes as roots. Offer to demonstrate next time.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,943
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    I think it was this guy....
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=voNqjCAy6Sg
    Nice, now I know everything about bike parks.
    Reminds me of this..
    Performance - YouTube
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,663
    I don't often break out the Pivot. But, when I do, I like to lay down some fat skids on your beginner bermless trails...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,666
    Quote Originally Posted by freakybro View Post
    When I first started riding, if you skidded more than a very minimal amount, you were considered an unskilled rider. Oh, how times have changed.
    This. As awesome as those slo mo shots in the bike movies of the skids with the dirt flying towards the camera are.... It's inspired a generation of copycats destroying trails.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boostin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    882
    To the batcave!


  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by freakybro View Post
    When I first started riding, if you skidded more than a very minimal amount, you were considered an unskilled rider. Oh, how times have changed.
    Truth! Although knowing how to control a loose rear end is a valuable skill, why would anyone voluntarily tear up trail? If you need to skid, hit the fire roads...

  12. #12
    Don't worry, be happy!
    Reputation: formica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    7,675
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    I don't often break out the Pivot. But, when I do, I like to lay down some fat skids on your beginner bermless trails...
    so it WAS you!!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,663
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    so it WAS you!!
    Are you kidding? I can't afford a second bike!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    306

    I'm So Embarrassed

    Quote Originally Posted by IrieOutdoors View Post
    Truth! Although knowing how to control a loose rear end is a valuable skill
    How to control a loose rear end:

    Option A: Don't eat things that might disagree with you.

    Option B: Don't date a tramp.


  15. #15
    bro not pro
    Reputation: Gonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    369
    nice write up. appreciate the sarcastic humor, clever imagery. The challenge remains; how do we change the behavior ?
    I've been thinking about making signs for a precious 410 trail that is being chunderized by mindless skidding fools. The obvious would be "No Skidding" ... but maybe more effective "Flow it, dont' skid it "
    any suggestions ?
    G O N Z

  16. #16
    I'm really diggin it!
    Reputation: Davey Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,177

    I'm So Embarrassed

    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery View Post
    This. As awesome as those slo mo shots in the bike movies of the skids with the dirt flying towards the camera are.... It's inspired a generation of copycats destroying trails.
    The "Canadian Kickout" couldn't die a quicker death. I think the industry needs to consider the impact of showing imagery like that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tarekith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,159
    Tarekith.com

    '12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    The "Canadian Kickout" couldn't die a quicker death. I think the industry needs to consider the impact of showing imagery like that.
    I agree - too many photos glorifying the skid.
    Imagine "Climbing" or "Rock and Ice" having a cover photo of someone on an established rock route chipping a bucket hold with their hammer. Wouldn't happen.

    Where is the ethos of "leave it as you found it" in mountain biking?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    306

    I'm So Embarrassed

    Climbers strongly self police their own kind. Lots of public shame for route chippers. It's taken a long time to sort out climbing ethics though, so I expect same with our sport.

    We've got to just keep spreading the word that skidding sucks, and if you know any filmers, work on them to dump the slo-mo flying dirt shots from their edits.

  20. #20
    I'm really diggin it!
    Reputation: Davey Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,177

    I'm So Embarrassed

    What many don't understand is that when high caliber riders film a trail segment and blowing out a berm they often built that trail. Young or new riders don't understand how much effort goes into a production, including all of the trail work.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    Fat-tired Roadie Moderator
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    17,909
    Gotta love those badass riders who slay St. Ed's or, my favorite in my new location, are so awesome at descending the Three Pigs that they need to take POV footage so the rest of us can see how awesome at descending an easy two-way trail they are.

    It does suck, though because I think it's important to have networks like St. Ed's, and have them not be chewed up and sketchy. Let alone falling into the creek.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by freakybro View Post
    When I first started riding, if you skidded more than a very minimal amount, you were considered an unskilled rider. Oh, how times have changed.
    Still true...

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonz View Post
    any suggestions ?
    Put in trials like features before the turn, more fun the slower you go...

  24. #24
    Rock Gnome
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    299
    Folks need to learn to ride. I'm seeing skid marks on straight stretches at Tiger. Trail design can help, but if folks don't understand how to feather brakes then it doesn't matter. Hint look much further out than your front tire (team riders that applies to you especially). Besides, we're not going to continue building dumb features. Expect more tech, yet sustainable--yes it's possible. You'll become a better rider or you'll go to back to skinny tires. The decision is yours.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    47


    Don't be a SKIDIOT!

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    150
    Maybe we set up a program like Carbon Credits to help offset the damage done to trails by skidiots. By attending work parties or through monetary contributions, they can earn their destructive turns.

    Maybe we can call it: Selfish Kooks Incessantly Doing Idiotic Outdated Turns

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    636
    its so ingrained in me not to skid I find it slows me down on certain turns in Enduro races as its hard to overcome my programming.. Makes me wonder what the trailwork plans are for after the 410 race this August.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,663
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    What many don't understand is that when high caliber riders film a trail segment and blowing out a berm they often built that trail. Young or new riders don't understand how much effort goes into a production, including all of the trail work.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's total BS... Just 'cuz you built it doesn't mean you get to glorify locking them up and throwing the biggest spray you can. Filming it all the while to make up for "other" lacking issues...

    This sport is growing like it never has before and all these new riders look up to the "high caliber" riders and will emulate them which no one here will disagree, in this case is harmful to the sport. Plus it gives the anti-mountain bike ammo to shut down potential growth because no one really know if this is on a forest service trail or some private stash one on someone's property.

  29. #29
    I'm really diggin it!
    Reputation: Davey Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    That's total BS... Just 'cuz you built it doesn't mean you get to glorify locking them up and throwing the biggest spray you can. Filming it all the while to make up for "other" lacking issues...

    This sport is growing like it never has before and all these new riders look up to the "high caliber" riders and will emulate them which no one here will disagree, in this case is harmful to the sport. Plus it gives the anti-mountain bike ammo to shut down potential growth because no one really know if this is on a forest service trail or some private stash one on someone's property.
    Agree 100%. I live in an area where there is are horrible access issues. Many opponents post clips from MTB videos in anti bike blogs and webpages. Even a County Supervisor was so incensed when she saw a MTB video with dirt being chucked around she reportedly refused to shop there ever again and started shopping at a different bike retailer where a friend worked.

    It makes the sport look bad to opponents period. I just didn't want to go there on this thread as I sound like chicken little to most mountain bikers not familiar with the access issues in Marin.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    210

    Atta Boy

    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    That's total BS....
    Damn, that's what I thought, surprised it too you a whole week to reply, but I guess you were out riding and trail work at Teanaway.

    MTBR should have an Atta Boy or Like button for posts as you just wrote.

Similar Threads

  1. I'm sometimes embarrassed by my old bike.
    By Pauly F in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-09-2013, 02:40 PM
  2. ...I'm embarrassed.
    By rayzer in forum 27.5
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 02:36 PM
  3. Embarrassed by my beer.
    By jrogs in forum Beer Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-28-2012, 08:13 PM
  4. Sooo embarrassed.... Bubble Guts on the trail.
    By George@PenuelBicycles in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-27-2011, 04:39 PM
  5. Hi, new to posting, almost embarrassed to ask
    By williamkwong in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 09:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •