mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ignorance is bliss

We all know that we are visitors in someone else's home, but you don't really think about it until you see it with your own eyes.

Rode Grand Ridge early Sunday morning and look who I was sharing the trail with this:

Ignorance is bliss-bobcat6.jpg

I've been kicked off the trail by a sow and cubs and know they are all out there but sometimes it's best not to think about.

On my return to Duthie, more tracks covering my tire tracks from the ride out. Couldn't have been more than 10 minutes old.

Head on swivel.
    Last edited by ZipMTB; 02-11-2014 at 10:55 AM.
    Zip

mtbr member
    Looks like a big dog print
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Not sure what that is, but there are definitely bobcats around here. I have had them in my backyard on several occasions...along with cougar and bear.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Definitely dog. Bobcats look like this:

Ignorance is bliss-bobcatprint.jpg

But, yeah...they're all over the foothills. Along with bears and cougars.

Last word is all yours...
    Another thing to look for are the toenail prints, which are clear in the first pic. Cats don't leave toenail prints, as their claws are retracted while they're walking.

Regarding bobcats... they're pretty small and harmless, unless you have chickens or outdoor domestic cats. I've had to chase bobcats out of my neighbor's chicken run before. Mountain Lions, on the other hand, would be extremely intimidating to see up close - especially since seeing one "up close" probably means terrible things are about to happen.
    --
    -bp

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    I can't tell nail marks or not from the photo, but certainly GeePhroh's picture has the double-top bump that separates cat from dog footprints.

Dog prints have a central pad that looks more or less like a fat nose, whereas cat footprints have a central pad that looks more like a volcano or even two overlapping mountains.

Cat prints also have their toe pads more aligned, whereas dog toes are more splayed.
    Rolland

mtbr member

Re: Ignorance is bliss

Slothful dirt hippie
    That looks a little long for bobcat, but who knows...

I see lots of bobcat tracks very close to town as well as out in the woods. Quite unmistakable as they're wide compared to the length (even moreso than the drawing below), giving an overall 'round' impression.

They'll nab a cat or a little dog occasionally but other than that they're just one of many benign/beautiful varmit-catchers. They're known to live for generations in relatively small greenbelt type areas without ever being spotted, and I've heard people say it's actually easier to see a cougar in the wild than a bobcat even though there are a whole lot more of them.... they're simply very good at hiding and tend to hunt at night. I've now seen 1 clearly running down the trail in front of me and a flash of another on Ros. ridge so I guess I've been lucky.

We recently went skiing along a FS road off French Cabin bridge. There were lots of snowshoe hare tracks crossing the road, and almost every single one had a bobcat track made either about the same time or sometime after along side it.... kind of a cool eye-opener for what's going on out there.

"...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by r1de View Post
    ... Mountain Lions, on the other hand, would be extremely intimidating to see up close - especially since seeing one "up close" probably means terrible things are about to happen.
    Or that they've just sat tight and are hoping you'll keep moving without noticing them. I have a feeling there's a LOT more of that going on than we realize!

Last summer I had to work one Saturday where husby arraigned to dump me off at the office with the bike in Cle Elum, and after I clocked out I rode over the ridge to meet him in the Teanaway for a night of camping. I had just dropped over the back side opposite of RatPac and hit a little flat spot on what BBq calls "The Big Sandy" (road) when I heard a weird LOUD cry in the woods behind me and stopped.... it came from that clump of dark woods where the old dirt bike trail goes through (with all the blow downs). Which I had just gone through. My brain insta-parsed it as "momma kitty is irritated!" but on second thought I figured that might be a little exaggerated.

A little YouTube audio research later and I discovered an IDENTICAL sound.... of a mountain lion calling to kits.

But she'd let me continue with my thing as she continued on with hers... so... there you go. I guess we were both too busy to add another layer of complication, lol.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

I5Troll
    My guess is coyote. Check out the 2 nail marks.

I've also heard that if it's melted too much to see nail marks or heel pad lobes, then if you can make an X through it, it's canine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If there were no footprints, probably coyote. A dog probably wouldn't be walking the trail alone.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman25 View Post
    If there were no footprints, probably coyote. A dog probably wouldn't be walking the trail alone.
    You've never met my dog, have you... ;-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Last summer I was riding the JWT near easton. A train went by on the parallel track and a large cougar came out 100ft in front of us. He looked back, saw us and was gone in seconds. If that train had not gone by and spooked him out, I would have passed within feet of him and never knew it. They are out there, you have been close, and you never knew it. Feel that hair raising on the back of your neck? Trust your insticts