Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

If you could choose anywhere in your area to live.

3K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  Jaybo 
#1 ·
Where would it be?

The wife and I will be moving there in May. We have recommendations from some friends, family, realtors, and such...but none of them get it when I tell them I need to be near good trails. I love basically all types riding as long as it's on dirt, but am looking to focus mainly on DH/AM in the future. In my area (the mid-atlantic), I 've been starved of anything but XC for several years now, and anything within an hour or two is mellow enough for most on a SS rigid bike.

Any opinions are welcome(as long as I agree with them:roll eyes:), and here are a few things I'm looking for. I also realize there may be way too many options, so maybe places not to live?

-Somewhere between suburbia and small-town feel. I realized that every place has bad neighborhoods, and don't want to live surrounded by snooty rich people either.

-Hopefully a good riding area within a 10-15 minute drive from home. And epic riding within 1-2 hours, although it seems this ones in the bag.

-I also rock climb, and hope to buy a dirt bike and do some woods riding. 2.5 hours to the nearest off-road trails here was not cutting it, so I gave it up for the time being.

-I work in the bike industry(mechanic), so most likely will be working closer to the city, but am willing to drive up to an hour if I can come home everyday to the above things mentioned.

-The wife and I combined make about 100K yearly. She works from home.

Thanks in advance,

-C

See less See more
#4 ·
I would highly suggest anywhere in Eastern Washington. The commute to Seattle would be a killer though.
Do you know where in Seattle you will be working? The commute across town during rush hour, especially if the Mariners or Seahawks are in town, will take you over an hour.

#5 ·
Wow, she must make bank if you are a bike mechanic... Peripheral areas like East King County and North King, South Snohomish as well as SE King too. Too many opions to get detailed about specific neighborhoods.

Those are your best bets for dirt rides out the door like I have.
Legal throttle twisting is closer if you live on the south end of town with Capitol Forest and Tahuya, etc.

Like I tell everyone who asks this question, come out for a few days and drive around and see what you like. Our opinions don't really mean squat and shouldn't be the basis for where you both choose to live... Heck, you may actually like being in the city.

#6 ·
Don't buy right away, even consider a mtonth to month. A few miles can be the difference between loving the quality of life and recreation opportunities or wanting to gouge your eyes out in crippling traffic.

I know before we moved out here we had some ideas of possible commutes, which upon seeing how it really is out here, the range narrowed and the price went up. Luckily the housing ,arket has cooled some since 2006 so you will be in better shape.

#7 ·
I agree with the above posts. Highly recommend renting for 6 months or a year. Even within a city (Issaquah, Bellevue, Renton or Seattle) it's a very different feel neighborhood by neighborhood.

I'd start your look in the Issaquah area, but it really depends on where you'll be commuting to.

The one good rule to follow is be close to I-90 for easy trail access if you want to be near Seattle.

#10 ·
-I also rock climb, and hope to buy a dirt bike and do some woods riding. 2.5 hours to the nearest off-road trails here was not cutting it, so I gave it up for the time being.
The best climbing gym on the east side is at Crossroads Mall; the rock outdoors is most accessible from I-90. That plus MTBing suggests Issaquah or Bellevue east of 405.

Dirt biking is mostly either all the way to the Teanaway or in the far opposite direction to Tahuya, both ~2 hours. So probably no dirt bike for you.

Not to worry too much about snooty rich kids or bad neighborhoods in those areas, it's mostly a big suburban middle.

#11 ·
-The wife and I combined make about 100K yearly. She works from home.

That will probably be your biggest deciding factor. I would highly recommend renting at first somewhere in Issaquah/Sammamish/Redmond/Bellevue area to get a feel for the place as well as the cost of living.

#15 ·
a word from soggy bottom

Give me rain over the 3-4 months to months of beating sun. Plus all those tourist towns have congestion, and people too. So many motor home, no thanks.

Seattle has the longest riding season then anywhere, if you don't melt like the wicked witch of the west!

Reactions: DRSpalding
#16 ·
Just be close to 90 and you're golden. Straight shot into Seattle in the least congested way. Straight shot to the hills. I moved here a year ago. Love Bellevue, but it really depends on what you want. I agree with the idea of renting and then checking out different areas,

#17 ·
Thanks everyone..

I wish we could go out there for a week any drive around, but I just don't think I'll be able to before the move. Honestly, we like to kinda sorta wing-it sometimes, even though everyone says it's stupid. We're definitely renting first, for a year at most , then hoping to buy after a few years.

As far as the city-life(traffic congestion and such) , we're coming from the DC area, so basically anything but LA and NY will seem a little less hectic I'm hoping. My wife doesn't really want to be out in the country, but I do, so the burbs is the compromise for us. For the people that recommended other areas in WA., I think near Seattle is still best. If the wife needs to change jobs(graphic design), I guess there are more possibilities there for both of us.

My past experiences with shops is that the busiest ones have higher turn-over with employees, so better chance for me. Once I'm hired I'm not worried about losing the job too much, as I'm pretty confident in my skills.

I'm sure there are just a ton of nice places to live, and everyone's criteria is a little different. This whole thing started from my wife's friend trying to get us to move to the west part of the city, but all that says to me is further from the mtns.

#19 ·
Unless you're hopping on the Fauntleroy ferry to Kitsap. Parking and traffic into town both suck, though.

I'd have to say somewhere on the I-90 corridor is your best bet, like has been said before. Bellevue or Issaquah, maybe even Fall City/Snoqualmie/North Bend, although those are getting a bit further out.

#21 ·
That's good info on your needs. Based on what you said, Issaquah is ideal. The rental market is really tight right now, so there will be competition when trying to rent a place.

Here's a quick description of a few of the major neighborhoods in Issy:

1. Old Town near Front Street and Sunset Way. Not a ton of housing, but a village vibe and close to everything. Pedal to Grand Ridge, quick drive to Tokul, Tiger and Seattle.

2. Klahanie. A planned development that is 25-ish years old. Nice area, very suburban with amenities such as grocery, pedal to Duthie or Grand Ridge.

3. Issaquah Highlands. A newer planned development started in 1998 with plenty of new construction still happening. It's just now starting to develop a community feel. Pedal to Grand Ridge (up some steep roads) and super easy car access to the trails and Seattle.

There's lots more around the Issy area, but this is just a taste of what's available. Klahanie and Highlands have lots of housing available. Snoqualmie Ridge is also a great suburban area with close access to trails, but might be a bit further out than your wife is looking for.

Look on Evergreen Trail Guide to get a feel for where to ride. Go as far and wide as you can on summer weekends, but for local riding spots, here's where you'll spend you time.

1. Tiger Mountain: Open seasonally April 15 - Oct 15. 2 new trails going in as we speak, so opportunity to help build trails in the off season.

2. Duthie. It's a park with lots of jump lines, 5.5 miles of xc, and something for everyone.

3. Grand Ridge. Goes from I-90 to Duthie. 7 mile xc trail each way with lots of climbing. It's actually easier going from Issy to Duthie than the other way.

4. Tokul E and Tokul W. Private land with plenty of fun trails. The go-to winter spot since it's open year round and drains well.

There's lots more amazing riding if you go a bit further, but these are the areas that you'll ride most often if you live between Seattle and Snoqualmie. They're the "after work" trail systems.

#38 ·
90 miles north, Bellingham. come and visit sounds like you would like it.

Also it's a bit less rainy than Seattle.
I have to say, that has not been my experience. I lived right on Lake Whatcom in Bellingham for 3 years, moved away for a few years, and now living in Seattle in the Ballard neighborhood, and I have found Seattle to be noticeably less rainy.

#29 ·
Bellingham is also something I considered. Maybe because when I see it on a map, all I think of is how much closer it is to Whistler! But seriously, it's still a possibility for sure, I think it may be one of those things to think about after settling in to the general area first.

Or maybe we should just move to Whistler, until reality finally bites us!

#30 ·
Check out Port Orchard on the Kitsap Peninsula. Relatively quiet area with plenty of riding opportunities nearby. For several years I commuted on my bike VIA ferry to downtown Seattle. Great location and I dug the easy access to the Olympic Peninsula.

Good luck on the move.

#37 ·
Little off topic, but people that work inside and live in an overcast area might be vitamin D deficient which can lead to all kinds of problems including depression, mood swings, immune system issues and so on. Ask me how I know, don't eat meat or dairy and moved to Seattle. Once I got on some good D supplements my mood and energy level improved like mad. If you haven't you might give it a shot, might make your remaining time here better. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.