Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    90 miles north, Bellingham. come and visit sounds like you would like it.

Also it's a bit less rainy than Seattle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Too bad it's where some of the most expensive fuel is, even though it has the refineries right there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joshh View Post
    Too bad it's where some of the most expensive fuel is, even though it has the refineries right there.
    You don't have to drive much in Bellingham though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Bellingham is also something I considered. Maybe because when I see it on a map, all I think of is how much closer it is to Whistler! But seriously, it's still a possibility for sure, I think it may be one of those things to think about after settling in to the general area first.

Or maybe we should just move to Whistler, until reality finally bites us!

mtbr member
    Check out Port Orchard on the Kitsap Peninsula. Relatively quiet area with plenty of riding opportunities nearby. For several years I commuted on my bike VIA ferry to downtown Seattle. Great location and I dug the easy access to the Olympic Peninsula.

Good luck on the move.
    Think less, ride more. ~ Jeffro (CX Czar)

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

True

Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    Ever been to detroit, the midwest, etc... during the winter? How bout anchorage, I go there for work all the time. That's miserable. Seattle is mild, couple days ago I went for a roadie ride, today I did a sweet powder day at crystal. 7 months miserable, really? Outside of 3-4 months of rainy winter (and the rain is generally afternoon) it's usually pretty nice.

I've travelled all over the country and think this area offers a good mix of nice environment, mellow people, plentiful employment, no income tax and year round outdoor activity (if you know how to put on a hat).

The desert/high desert is nice as well if you like that climate, it's just a matter of balancing your locale with your lifestyle. If you just want to ride and don't care about a traditional career maybe you'll be fine in a tourist town.
    The argument that places like Michigan are more miserable is like the argument that my spouse is nice on weekdays and only beats me on weekends. Think about it. I just react to the gloom more than most I guess. It just rains and rains and rains and rains and rains.....

Have a Merry Christmas.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I just react to the gloom more than most I guess. It just rains and rains and rains and rains and rains.....

Have a Merry Christmas.
    If you hate it so much then why don't you just move away?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbty View Post
    Give me rain over the 3-4 months to months of beating sun. Plus all those tourist towns have congestion, and people too. So many motor home, no thanks.

Seattle has the longest riding season then anywhere, if you don't melt like the wicked witch of the west!
    If I had the options I would prefer to spend my winters in WEsTern Oregon/Washington (not the metro areas) and summer in the SW deserts.

I like mud and I like heat.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

V-Shaped Rut
    The argument that places like Michigan are more miserable is like the argument that my spouse is nice on weekdays and only beats me on weekends. Think about it. I just react to the gloom more than most I guess. It just rains and rains and rains and rains and rains.....

Have a Merry Christmas.
    LOL, fair enough. I'm all about getting to the environment around you that you enjoy. If you hate rain and overcast this much the PacNW is about the worst place to be.

gravity fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by ser jameson View Post
    You don't have to drive much in Bellingham though.
    And you don't have the mind numbing traffic. There's a couple decent places to ride too

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    We are doing our last years in the our jobs. Eventually, the plan is to move south. I'm just sensitive to dark and crappy weather. Color me stupid

V-Shaped Rut
    We are doing our last years in the our jobs. Eventually, the plan is to move south. I'm just sensitive to dark and crappy weather. Color me stupid
    Little off topic, but people that work inside and live in an overcast area might be vitamin D deficient which can lead to all kinds of problems including depression, mood swings, immune system issues and so on. Ask me how I know, don't eat meat or dairy and moved to Seattle. Once I got on some good D supplements my mood and energy level improved like mad. If you haven't you might give it a shot, might make your remaining time here better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ser jameson View Post
    90 miles north, Bellingham. come and visit sounds like you would like it.

Also it's a bit less rainy than Seattle.
    I have to say, that has not been my experience. I lived right on Lake Whatcom in Bellingham for 3 years, moved away for a few years, and now living in Seattle in the Ballard neighborhood, and I have found Seattle to be noticeably less rainy.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Little off topic, but people that work inside and live in an overcast area might be vitamin D deficient which can lead to all kinds of problems including depression, mood swings, immune system issues and so on. Ask me how I know, don't eat meat or dairy and moved to Seattle. Once I got on some good D supplements my mood and energy level improved like mad. If you haven't you might give it a shot, might make your remaining time here better.
    I am happier in the winter!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Good tip

I will check it out. I'm a desert rat and a sunshine hound. Seattle is a gorgeous city but man it is big Merry Christmas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2