Thread: Icicle Ridge

mtbr member

Icicle Ridge

I went up Icicle ridge to the fire lookout and back today. Most people go up Icicle road and then ride/push up 4th of July trail. That trail is really steep and rough so you end up pushing your bike almost half of the climb. I was curious if the out-and-back would be more "fun".

I think I do like this option better. You can ride the first 4 miles pretty much non-stop if you are a strong climber. There is some pushing further up and nothing too steep or long. The only downside - you are on the East side of the ridge where it's hotter in the morning. I wish I had started at 9 instead of 10:30. On top of that there wasn't much of a breeze. 4th of July always seems to have a nice breeze to cool you down while you are scrambling up the trail.

Now the bad part. The trail is terribly eroded in numerous sections along the ridge. I was just there in July and it wasn't that bad. Now some ruts can swallow an entire wheel (see the pictures below). So you pretty much have to ride off the trail to avoid getting stuck.

I took the pictures on my way up. The last one (before the Strava map) is the view from the former lookout. It was a little hazy but still great views of Stuart Range, mt Daniel, and Glacier peak.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Icicle Ridge-fr_443_size880.jpg  

Icicle Ridge-fr_444_size880.jpg  

Icicle Ridge-fr_445_size880.jpg  

Icicle Ridge-fr_446_size880.jpg  

Icicle Ridge-fr_447_size880.jpg  

Icicle Ridge-fr_448_size880.jpg  

Icicle Ridge-fr_449_size880.jpg  

Icicle Ridge-fr_450_size880.jpg  

Icicle Ridge-fr_451_size880.jpg  

Icicle Ridge-screen-shot-2013-09-14-10.03.10-pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Yeah why battle up 4th as this does look way better.

Great to have you showing us the way again.

mtbr member
    Did the 4th of July loop on Sunday and it was in even worse shape than Icicle Ridge. Lots of loose rock and rutted trails (and foul language and too much hike-a-bike). Still one of my favourite rides on the east side!

mtbr member
    Yeah, thanks for posting this. Had this one on my radar for a long time but I always grappled with doing it as a loop or OAB. I'd say the OAB option looks more appealing too. As for the ruts I just rode Deep Creek last week and found more than half the trail rutted out although nowhere near that bad. Apparently we had some heavy rains in the mountains late August/early Sept.....

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    This is great info for me, thanks for taking the time to post this.

I'm getting my wonderful spouse into longer climbs, and though I want to do the trail in spades, this option is something we both can handle.

Now I need to get my butt back from Winnipeg and try it out!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unicrown junkie View Post
    This is great info for me, thanks for taking the time to post this.

I'm getting my wonderful spouse into longer climbs, and though I want to do the trail in spades, this option is something we both can handle.

Now I need to get my butt back from Winnipeg and try it out!
    Hope you have a loving wife
    The easiest parts of the climb are probably as hard as the toughest parts of Devils Gulch. Plus there is quite a bit of pushing. The way down is no picnic either. I dreaded not swapping my Hayes 9s for something better.

If you just want a long climb the devils gulch / mission ridge figure 8 is plenty for most people.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    I'll have to do a foray into seeing if this ride is above her abilities, and if so I will re-think the whole thing.

Mind-boggling it has been at least ten years since I've done Devils Gulch, and it wasn't that bad, but memory does have a way of distorting the past.

Plus, I ride rigid with V-brakes or U-brakes depending on my bike, don't see the need to upgrade to discs anytime soon, so these will have to do!

Thanks again for the info, have a great weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by pinchflat View Post
    Hope you have a loving wife
    The easiest parts of the climb are probably as hard as the toughest parts of Devils Gulch. Plus there is quite a bit of pushing. The way down is no picnic either. I dreaded not swapping my Hayes 9s for something better.

If you just want a long climb the devils gulch / mission ridge figure 8 is plenty for most people.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....