Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Last word is all yours...

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! IATC and IEC voice opinions on Issaquah Mountain Bike Task Force findings

Issaquah Environmental Council - View topic - Mtn Bike Task Force

The above two individuals have been present for every meeting of the Issaquah Mountain Bike Force - and one of the individuals was a member of the task force itself. The task force is scheduled to present its report to the Park Board on Monday, October 24th. See this thread for more information.

Anyone with an interest in this topic is encouraged to attend the presentation, either silently or to voice your opinions during the opportunity for public comment.
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I love "connie"'s post. open-minded? I think not.
    The quiver: 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad, 2011 Specialized Demo II, 2011 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy.

Just roll it......
    I think what's important to convey to the "Connie's" of the world is that they are seeing a park build "in progress", not a finished product. Any vegetation that is affected/removed/transplanted during this process will regrow within a couple of years (if not within the next spring season).

I can see where a hiker might walk into Duthie last spring (or even now) and think what she has conveyed. Sometimes, we've got to put ourselves in other people's shoes to listen (not just "hear") to what they are saying so we can put their minds at ease on these types of topics.

Cheers,
    EB

FYI David Kappler is the President of the Issaquah Alps Trails Club. Connie Marsh is the Vice President of the Issaquah Environment Council, and also an Advocate for the IATC.
    --
    -bp

Just roll it......
    Yeah, I'm aware and their opinion, most likely, will never be swayed no matter how much we do to accommodate their input. I noticed that no mt. bikers have commented on that thread yet.....

Let's face it...the more we continue to build high quality trail, educate as many bikers on the history and proper etiquette and "try" to work with these groups (regardless how futile), the more they appear to be zealots - even within their own groups.

EB

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'd like to know who gave Connie the Duthie tour and represented mountain bikers as a whole...

I'll tell you what, she didn't walk Movin' On. It's been re-vegetated and tightened up as much as possible.
    I've seen plenty of hiking trails with the standard DNR/WTA 6' wide 2' brushback. None of the trails 'cept Tim's are wider out there and they (the WTA) touts that 6' wide trail as standard. Hypocrites I say.

Maybe they would rather see more soccer fields....

I5Troll
    Connie and a few IMBTF members showed up right in the middle of the 2nd big & busy "Diamondback Dig Dawgs and Demo Day". Total disaster. We were working on a pretty big berm on the new StepItUp extension and she stepped into the absolute peak of construction. Absolutely no transplanting had started -- it was bone dry and no rain in the forecast. She is being totally dishonest about what she heard about transplanting. She has her agenda, but all anyone has to do is follow the WTA or any trail building organization as they cut in a brand new trail and look at the aftermath. Transplanting in the fall jump-starts the "greening-up" after summer construction, but it's the natural spring greening that really has the biggest impact.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks Mike.

Everyone has their agendas. Like EB said, we can take the high road and wait this one out. The tide is turning and those HOHAs definately don't like it. But, I do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    When i played Dungeons and Dragons when i wuz a kid, we battled against make believe Trolls, but none of them were green.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

It's not a Troll it's t3h Jolly Green Giant yo, get it? He's Jolly. He's Green. And he's a Giant. And he has a CHAR of 6!
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    These Jolly Green Giants can a bunch of bull$hit.

i just ran a work party at Duthie where most all the time was spent to aesthetics of the trail. Harvesting fauna from where we are to scratch new trail, and building a faux dry riverbed with excess rock and replanting.

We absolutely buy into the premise of taking that extra time to make it look right, and as we work and toil likely over around a thousand volunteer hours are spent making things look aesthetically beautiful within the park as a whole.

And the persons who've spent significant time out there have seen the evidence of the logging. Old wires, unnaturally thick organic build up, soil deposits, old growth stumps. To my eye i can absolutely see the forest razed as it was decades back, and i see how well it recovered. With all the mature dying hardwood out there, us mt. bikers are going to have a couple decades beating nature back as the natural cycle continues, and riders in 40 years will enjoy a beautiful mt. bike park full of giant stands of thriving conifers.

The next generation will look upon the wooded scenery and gain a deep sensible appreciation where solutions to protect the environment are won through an active recreation that is mountain biking. Through mountain biking an appreciation is found, where families for generations can gain. Instead we have these persons using environmentalism as a weapon to stifle recreation/sport, and spewing out falsehoods. This tactic long well used, and it's enough as it deteriorates the overall good of the core message of environmentalism. That of having a sense and respect for that which surrounds us.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    Harvesting fauna from where we are to scratch new trail, and building a faux dry riverbed with excess rock and replanting.
    "Harvesting flora," right? Or were you capturing squirrels and chipmunks to mash into the berms...?

mtbr member
    ^ Dont tip off PETA!

Quote Originally Posted by Connie
    clearly do not see the forest how I do.

I see ...... and they see.....
    Massively obvious opinion statement and as we know, opinions aren't fact. I bet I don't see a car in the same way she does either. It doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to drive one, or even the other way around.

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    My hat is off to everyone within the MTB community who has the patience and mental fortitude to keep trying to work with all the other groups that put us as a whole under the microscope, and who look for things as small as an out-of-place pebble or lonely leaf as a reason to cry foul.

That's the main reason I support Evergreen and the like, because I could never deal with the political crap that they deal with on a constant basis even in the well established riding areas without having a brain aneurism.

...We don't come down to where they hang out and slap the "taste" out of their mouths, now do we?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    "Harvesting flora," right? Or were you capturing squirrels and chipmunks to mash into the berms...?
    That's why our berms stink so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim-H View Post
    Massively obvious opinion statement and as we know, opinions aren't fact. I bet I don't see a car in the same way she does either. It doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to drive one, or even the other way around.
    Yah but logic isn't logical in an illogical world.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    OK, so let's see a show of hands, who's showing up to Monday's meeting? I have an Evergreen Board Meeting, so can't make it. I heard last night that anti-biker types are mobilizing to kill the whole idea, so we'll need at least 20 people to show up.

There will be some vocal and irrational anti-bikers there. Remember to always stay calm, professional, and never take their bait and get into an argument with them.

From the other thread about the task force:

I would like to ask for your support, and that of other individuals that believe the City of Issaquah should pursue enhanced mountain bike opportunities. This can be done by attending the Parks Board Meeting, or sending an email stating your support for the Final Report and to encourage the City to pursue this initiative.

Issaquah Parks Board Meeting
    Date / Time: October 24, 2011 @ 7PM

750 17th Ave NW, Issaquah, WA 98027 map/directions

Email: Sharonr@ci.issaquah.wa.us Sharon Rosenlund, the Park Board staff liaison
    Copy the Issaquah City Council as well citycouncil@ci.issaquah.wa.us
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    It there a possibility that the Evergreen Board meeting can be rescheduled to another day?

I understand that EMBA has had some involvement with the Issaquah Mountain Biking Task force and I also understand that EMBA is pursuing mountain biking issues at other government levels (King County, the State of Washington, and others). But given that Evergreen is involved in multiple projects in what the Issaquah Alps Trails group consider "their" turf I feel it would be a mistake for Evergreen's leadership to not show up to this event. Yes, it will be probably be a lot of finger pointing and the effort not netting out much real benefit for the issues being pursued.

Sometimes numbers do matter and I believe this is one of those events. I plan in trying to make this event but again I work on Elliot Ave in Seattle and I am not sure if the situation with the viaduct will allow it.
    The quiver: 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad, 2011 Specialized Demo II, 2011 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by jdusto View Post
    It there a possibility that the Evergreen Board meeting can be rescheduled to another day?
    I agree- sounds like the board meeting location should be moved to Issaquah for one night.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The Alps will cower before the presence of "The Board".
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The presentation of the report to the Parks Board is an important event and I certainly hope that lots of concerned mountain bikers will attend to show their support. The mountain bike reps on the Task Force have done a great job in a difficult environment and we all owe them a big "Thank you!" for their hard work.

Evergreen has helped to support this process and will definitely be submitting a letter of support to the Parks Board. At the same time, I want to think that the MTB community will respond with a large turnout in which case the absence of a few Evergreen board members because of our regular meeting won't have any impact.

Thanks,
    Glenn
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Here is another interesting read regarding bikes in Issaquah.

Somehow we need to dispel the myth that "recreational biking" and "transportation biking" are mutually exclusive. This is obvious to most of us;
    • Without singletrack connectors, we end up driving cars to access trail networks. This puts more cars on the road, generates traffic, and increases trailhead parking demands. This is especially true for parents, who don't want their younger kids riding bikes in or near traffic, on the way to "recreational biking" destinations.
    • Commuting by singletrack is an ideal solution for cyclists. I can't imagine anyone who would prefer to "share the road" with cars, when they could be in the woods, while getting from home to work. As a way to simply get from point A to B, Trails are cheaper to construct than bike lanes, are less harmful to the environment, and are safer for both cyclists and motorists.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ggluv View Post
    the absence of a few Evergreen board members because of our regular meeting won't have any impact.
    i agree in the sense of the outcome of the meeting.

i absolutely disagree that it has no impact within some members of our own community.

It would be a nice gesture in that regard, if there are enough persons to hold a business meeting it would be nice if any extra individual(s) opted to be representative on behalf of the entire board.

Yah it's for show, but show is important sometimes.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

New resource containing more thoughts and information on this situation:

Mountain Bike Issaquah

Take a look!
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Evergreen Calendar

I just noticed this is not on the Evergreen calendar. Is it possible / beneficial to throw it up there quickly?

Just the basic facts possibly with a quick link for directions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Good luck dealing with the Alpers. They are liars and use old communist ways to further their narrow cause. I dealt with Harvey over 20yrs ago and was an Alper myself trying to understand them. They hate everyone but themselves, They hate Mtbers, horse people, Volksmarchers, trail runners, geocashers, rockhounds, and disabled people and anyone who uses the trail other than themselves. They play the politicians for fools and intimidate anyone the can.

Otherwise a fun group. Not...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast