mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I probably should have just stayed home....

Took off Sunday morning for my loop from Lake Sammamish/Grand Ridge/Duthie then reverse. As soon as I left, I knew I should have just turned around; foggy head, no energy, empty stomach, legs felt like granite from a 12 mile run on Saturday.

"Screw It" I've got to keep training for Colorado Trail Race, good way to train for some suffering. The long slog up I-90 wasn't too bad. Left to head up GR, slooooow. OK, just keep going. Cleaned that stupid bunch of roots. "Hey things might be OK". Passed a couple hikers.

Across GR road. Tunnel vision. Not looking ahead enough. "Wow the trail is busy this morning!" Decide to pull off for any one passing up or down.

"Wow, lots of runners this morning"

Got to Duthie. Trail sure is dry and with the Fat Bike and 4 inch tires the rear end slips around a bunch. Thought to myself this is the kind of day you'll hurt yourself. "Stop staring at trees you don't want to hit."

Head back up Grand Ridge. Hmmmm. A biker with a dog. Looks like he's having fun. Little while later. Bike with two dogs in tow. Screw that, the dog's are on their own, I'll let them move.

First climb survived. I wondered if I would have enough in the tank to make it up the second climb. Put it in a low gear and just grunt up. About half way up, hear they come, ripping down. SH!T. He's not gonna be able to stop, looks like he is going inside, I go wide. BOOM!. Luckily his carbon frame with 2 inch wheels is no match for 4 inch rubber and titanium. Every one OK? Yep. Yep.

Moving on. All down hill from here motivates me to just get home. Damn. One more hill up to the house. Made it. Stumble to the fridge and grab some chocolate milk. Yummm. Fall down on the family rom floor. My son makes me breakfast burritos.

This day is looking up.

Ever have one of those days??
    Zip

Slothful dirt hippie
    I do quite often, but nobody makes me food when I get home. :P

Was just reminiscing about a Taneum royal fubar run we did with Ward and another friend last year... we were out there 7 hours at least and wound up alternately carrying bikes over snowbrush or shoving them on our knees under tangled spruce. Ward had to take off for his home in Selah but we went with our westside friend up to Cle Elum to get us all loaded up with pizza before he had to face driving over the pass.

When the server put the large pizza in front of our slumped bodies, we realized quickly it wasn't the variety we'd requested. Shrugged shoulders all around, and we just dove in and had demolished half of it before the waitress came back. "Did you realize this wasn't what you ordered?" I answered "Yes, but ANYTHING you put on this table will be devoured right now."

She let us finish that one and sent us home with the actual pizza we'd asked for for no extra cost. A great way to end the day as far as we were concerned, lol.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

EMBA Member
    Downer story, but the last time this happened to me, I was tired/no energy right from the start and hills I should have been able to power up were killing me. I was struggling every pedal stroke - even seemed like the roots and rocks were moving into my path. I knew I didn't have it but I was determined to ride harder and harder and not give in to it and that's what I did. Right up until I went over the bars and broke my arm. That was last November. I still complete rides when I'm not feeling it, but now I take a little off for safety sake rather than just grit my teeth and refuse to give in. Sometimes a slower paced ride is just the right perspective for me anyway.

V-Shaped Rut
    Yeah, my last 'mancation' trip to tahoe I picked up a nasty cold from my 3 year old. Spent the first 2 days in bed but doped myself up and headed out to the rim trail. 2 miles of snow on each side of the highest point in the ride. Oh yeah, it was an out 'n back. So 25 miles with 8 of those alternately trying to ride or pushing the bike through snow, the last half with my medicine fully worn off. Woohoo!

I don't regret a minute though, haha! Beats the **** out of working.