mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Hwy 410, Winter? 2014

Umm skiing sucks over all so far this year, and there is no snow on the valley trails at Hwy 410, so I figure we should enjoy Skookum and White River this winter. I went and ran Skookum a few weeks ago after a not so good day of skiing. There was no snow on the trail and a few trees down plus some standing water..

I'm putting together a rag tag crew of MTBer's this weekend on Sunday to do a Work Party to clear up the trails so we can enjoy them a little easier. I will be putting up a few more work parties up over the winter if the snow never snows up. Also I will be testing to see how high up the snow line is and report back.

Come out and play, I know this is right up a handful of yous guys alley.

Evergreen MTB Calendar

weather
    NOAA National Weather Service

I also plan on doing some rides out there all winter if the skiing doesn't get any better. Anyone else been out there this winter?
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

Sawyer Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbty View Post
    I'm putting together a rag tag crew of MTBer's this weekend on Sunday to do a Work Party to clear up the trails so we can enjoy them a little easier.

And that description is being generous... I would say the crew thus far is surly and downright unhygienic.
    Raleigh XXIX

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'll be heading down this weekend. Let me know if anyone wants to carpool from Seattle!

mtbr member
    VERY tempting!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Sawyer Gnome
    Gorgeous day out in the woods! Big thanks to Tyler for setting it up. Got some trees removed and bit of drainage dug, as much as the frozen conditions would allow.

Raleigh XXIX

I5Troll
    What a weekend! Hwy 410, Tiger, Swan Creek, Paradise and lots going on at Tokul W... we're off to a great 2014! Thanks everybody.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Awesome pics Nuzzy! You are everywhere lately. :-) I'm going to download these for the Evergreen files unless I hear otherwise from you. Thanks for all you do!!
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

Sawyer Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by EvergreenStacy View Post
    Awesome pics Nuzzy! You are everywhere lately. :-) I'm going to download these for the Evergreen files unless I hear otherwise from you. Thanks for all you do!!

Just emailed you a link to an album with the full size pics so you can crop as you wish.
    Raleigh XXIX

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Did Skookum/White River today (1-16-2014) All rideable very minor snow(more like heavy frost) rode right thru it. and SUNNY (above the Puget Sound fog)
    Skookum side mostly wet - a few icy spots - a few puddles - not much sun hits this at all this time of year. feels cold.
    White River side - immediately felt 10 degrees warmer - lots of sun lots of fun.
    I did not go to the top(Corral Pass Rd) but I bet it's mostly snow free.

Jackd - back in the fog

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jackd49 View Post
    I did not go to the top(Corral Pass Rd) but I bet it's mostly snow free.
    Don't know about the gate but the top has snow...could sure use more though!

Corral Pass (418)
    Washington SNOTEL Site - 5800 ft

(As of: Thu Jan 16 18:33:14 PST 2014)
    **Provisional data, subject to revision**
    Date
    Snow Water Equivalent (in)
    Change In Snow Water Equivalent
    Snow Depth (in)
    Change In Snow Depth

2014-01-09 11.7 0.6 40 7
    2014-01-10 12.2 0.5 40 0
    2014-01-11 12.6 0.4 40 0
    2014-01-12 13.9 1.3 49 9
    2014-01-13 15.6 1.7 58 9
    2014-01-14 15.6 0.0 55 -3
    2014-01-15 15.7 0.1 53 -2
    2014-01-16 15.7 0.0 51 -2

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    there's a new tree down on White River just above 410 @ the Buck Creek connection. a couple minute walkup from the parking area on the trailside of 410. my saw's not big enough, about 3' dia.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Today a buddy and I made it to the cabin on Ranger. That's right, Ranger cabin in Jan and only snow for the last 5 or 6 switchback. I wouldn't go down Palisades trail, the ridge was pretty snowy and might run in to more snow lower down in the north facing gully.

The trail had one small tree across it that we pushed downhill. There is a bad leaner sang that has popped of the stomp and the butt end is on the trail, with the top hung up on another tree. It's 60' tall. Will need to bring some rope and pulls to drag the butt end out to drop it down, it's leaning a lot. I would be pretty dangerous to chainsaw it out. Then do some trail work because it might fall on one of the switchbacks it's near.

We also drove up the road to mid SunTop from the air field, to the gate at 3300', it was closed. The road had snow but for the most part would be ride able and it looks like if one really wanted to they could get to mid SunTop with not to much snow. There is no snow in the forest until 4000'ish so I would say that it is likely the mid SunTop down is ride able ounce your on the trail and in the forest. Would be interesting to hear if anyone has done it.

Enjoy it while it's good.

mtbr member

Re: Hwy 410, Winter? 2014

Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    ... tree down on White River ... @ ...Buck Creek a couple minute walkup from the parking area ... about 3' dia.
    Lower loop cleared again. What a wonderful winter.
    Last edited by paleo; 01-26-2014 at 11:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    many thanks, Paleo & crew
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I want to echo the "many thanks." Cutting even one tree is hard work. Here's a good before and after of the ones that were just cleared on the White River Trail (near Buck Creek).

Hwy 410, Winter? 2014-white-river-trail-before.jpg
    Before

Hwy 410, Winter? 2014-white-river-trail-after.jpg
    After

Jackd

mtbr member

Re: Hwy 410, Winter? 2014

:thumbsup
    Last edited by paleo; 02-04-2014 at 12:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hey everyone, a solid group of people have been keeping the valley trails clear all winter, so the lower trails are very ride able right now! it would be easy to grab a 3-4 hour xc ride right now and/or ride up Ranger to snowline (around 4500') and back.

Evergreen is planning a season clean up, tune up May 31st that will be sponsored Platypus. They will be helping us put party back in work but doing Morning trail work, BBQ/raffle and group rides. So come out to give back to one of the best trail zones in Washington State. Plus you will get a change to win some sick gear while your enjoy some good BBQ!

We will do work on Skookum low spots, beef up one turn, rebuild one Suntop switchback, beef up the downhill outer edge of some Ranger switchbacks, build a ramp up to the Deep Creek bridge and do other general trail maintenance. But we will NOT be taking out roots, rocks, or drops.

Come help out and show the United State Forest Service that mountain bikers are key stewards of this amazing landscape.

Evergreen MTB Calendar