mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Hwy 410/Greenwater Trails Season Clean-up Work Party (Camp/Ride) w/ Platy 5/31

Need a reason to go ride the Hwy 410 area trails???

Join Platypus Hydration, Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance, and a whole bunch of other cool folks on Saturday, May 31st to help us get the area trails ready for the 2014 season!

We’ll be camping at Buck Creek Campground all weekend, and meeting there at 9:00am Saturday for a bit of trail work, followed by a bbq and riding in the afternoon.

In return for a few hours of time Saturday morning, you get to:
    • Enjoy delicious grillables provided by Platypus
    • Get a chance to win some cool shwag... also provided by Platypus
    • Go on one of the group rides on one of your old favorites, or explore something new
    • Camp Friday and/or Saturday night if you'd like so you can get up and go ride some more!

It's just a 1.5 hour drive from Seattle. Trails in this area include: Skookum Flats, White River, Palisades, Sun Top, Ranger Creek and Noble Knob, and there’s something for riders of all ages and abilities.

So bring the kids, family, friends, dog –and camping gear if you like – and come out for a fun day in the woods. No particular skills, experience, or fitness level required to help us get the trails in shape.

Spots are limited. Please RSVP here:
    Evergreen MTB Calendar

Hwy 410/Greenwater Trails Season Clean-up Work Party (Camp/Ride) w/ Platy 5/31-platy410workparty_may2014-page-001.jpg
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Lots of interest in this one, but we have still have a few more spots open up.

The weather is about as good as in can get for a trail work day. Rain a few days before and full sun day of.

National Weather Service

Any of you people's on here coming to this event?
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbty View Post
    Lots of interest in this one, but we have still have a few more spots open up.

The weather is about as good as in can get for a trail work day. Rain a few days before and full sun day of.

National Weather Service

Any of you people's on here coming to this event?
    Are higher trails snow-free? Ranger, Palisades, Suntop?

mtbr member

Re: Hwy 410/Greenwater Trails Season Clean-up Work Party (Camp/Ride) w/ Platy 5/31

http://forums.mtbr.com/washington/skookum-looking-good-906198.html#post11208855

Skookum looking good

All the big wood is off the Ranger and Palisades trails except rootball that is trying to tip or slide/migrate onto the ranger creek trail about .5 miles from the shelter. Step lively and listen for rocks and time for an efficient crossing...

Hopefully USFS or horsemen were able to remove this hazard in the past two weeks.

Expect snow above shelter towards Noble Nob but near snow free by now on Ranger and Palisades.

Look forward to your reports.

Sawyer Gnome
    Twas a mighty fine weekend. Big thanks to EMBA and Platypus! Not sure what the final tally was, but I believe it was over 30 volunteers.

While everyone else funneled off into different work zones, Gonz and I grabbed the saws and headed out for some clearing fun. My buddy Mike came along to help where he could, carry some extra gear, and take some video of the weekend.

Didn't take Gonz long to dive in

I started in on the rootball.

We had a request to harvest a couple small cedar planks for a pending trail sign elsewhere in the state and this provided the perfect opportunity!

A fine walk in the woods with good company.

Well, this view doesn't suck!

Then back to camp for some delicious Platypus Hydration sponsored and cooked vittles!

After lunch, Gonz carried on to Deep Creek and made plenty more chips! I was a bit jealous, but couldn't turn down the opportunity to shuttle Suntop and do a bit of celebratory riding.

Always good to see old faces and great to see new ones out there this weekend!
    Raleigh XXIX

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    so what you're saying is...is that I can go ride up Corral Pass and to Ranger Creek tomorrow?

(and not in that doctor/play-the-violin joke way--I mean this is happening now?)

bro not pro
    Quote Originally Posted by a-man View Post
    so what you're saying is...is that I can go ride up Corral Pass and to Ranger Creek tomorrow?

(and not in that doctor/play-the-violin joke way--I mean this is happening now?)
    you could go up Ranger to the Cabin, then across and down the Palisades ... but Corral Pass is probably snowed in still
    G O N Z

bro not pro
    good times!
    G O N Z

mtbr member

Re: Hwy 410/Greenwater Trails Season Clean-up Work Party (Camp/Ride) w/ Platy 5/31

Quote Originally Posted by a-man View Post
    The snotel corral pass site last July 4th was at 3 inches of snow. That's when we cleared the few remaining trees and two switchbacks had snow in them. This weekend snotel corral pass was 77" of snow. We are looking for say 10" or less then we will head across corral pass.

For the contributors this weekend thank you all!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    whoa. just checked the snotel and it says 66 inches at corral pass. That seems crazy, looking at these pics. I guess there's some snow along the road in the Suntop one...but 66 inches is whoa.

mtbr member

It seems like Suntop is open per Nuzzy's excellent report so hoping we can get confirmation please as that's a good option for a week or two more.

Sawyer Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo View Post
    It seems like Suntop is open per Nuzzy's excellent report so hoping we can get confirmation please as that's a good option for a week or two more.

We did hit snow on the road when shuttling up from the campground and had to park there. I'm not sure where exactly we jumped in, as I was sans GPS at the time. I'm sure Tyler, Bryan, Graham, or any of the other more knowledgeable folk could better say where.
    Raleigh XXIX

Fat-tired Roadie
    So were you able to ride up to the peak, or did you join the descent a little below the top?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuzzy View Post
    We did hit snow on the road when shuttling up from the campground and had to park there. I'm not sure where exactly we jumped in, as I was sans GPS at the time. I'm sure Tyler, Bryan, Graham, or any of the other more knowledgeable folk could better say where.
    There was a bit of snow right before where suntop trail crosses the road up from buck creek campground. You probably couldn't ride the whole upper part of suntop from lower skookum.

Sawyer Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    So were you able to ride up to the peak, or did you join the descent a little below the top?

We joined the descent below the top. Sounds like bhsavery has it nailed.
    Raleigh XXIX

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuzzy View Post
    We joined the descent below the top. Sounds like bhsavery has it nailed.
    If you shuttled up from Buck Creek you probably dropped in at what is commonly called "Fawn Ridge."

If you drove down the hwy and THEN up Rd 73 to Suntop trail that would be from the top.
    I'm thinking most of the Suntop Trail is still snow but most of the Fawn Ridge Trail usually opens up around now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Hwy 410/Greenwater Trails Season Clean-up Work Party (Camp/Ride) w/ Platy 5/31

[QUOTE=Nuzzy;11239726]Twas a mighty fine weekend. While everyone else funneled off into different work zones, Gonz and I grabbed the saws and headed out for some clearing fun.]

I always kinda wondered whether you guys saw so you can play with your bikes, or whether if truth be told, just perhaps, you ride so you can play with your saws

Either way, thanks for the awesome work. Can't wait to get down there this year- was bummed I couldn't make the work party. Looked like a lotta fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    HUGE thanks to everyone who came out last weekend! Our sawyers ROCK, as do all our awesome volunteers. And an extra shout out to Platypus Hydration for sponsoring the shwag, BBQ and general sense of merriment!
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

Sawyer Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsteele View Post
    I always kinda wondered whether you guys saw so you can play with your bikes, or whether if truth be told, just perhaps, you ride so you can play with your saws

I'll just say, often we've left the bikes attached to the racks all day and left fully content...
    Raleigh XXIX

Fat-tired Roadie

Quote Originally Posted by jackd49 View Post
    If you shuttled up from Buck Creek you probably dropped in at what is commonly called "Fawn Ridge."

If you drove down the hwy and THEN up Rd 73 to Suntop trail that would be from the top.
    I'm thinking most of the Suntop Trail is still snow but most of the Fawn Ridge Trail usually opens up around now.
    Thanks.

I did the White River race a while ago and have been meaning to go back on my own.

mtbr member

I'm pretty sure it was up buck creek road from ranger airstrip to fawn ridge so the top will be a few more weeks.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Yeah, it was. More or less. My friends and I tried to refind the climb after riding Skookum Creek last year and couldn't, but we didn't have a ton of time. I figure if I'm not racing, though, I'd like to go all the way to Suntop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    CP an ever worth it, ever (stick to the trails, +/-), but If your going to go waste your time getting baked in the sun wait until end of June/beg of July, same fer Sun Top via 7315 road.

Sun Top via Ranger Air Field road (7160 rd.) and dropping in mid trail is running well now.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.