mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Horse damage on FR / Joyride at Tiger

Anyone see a horse on Fully Rigid / Joyride last week? I saw damage on Thursday. There was a trailer in the lot on Tuesday, but I didn't ride those trails.

I always ride with a camera, so I guess I'll be taking pics of every horse trailer I see on some sort of NSA data mine crowdsource vigilante operation from here on out.

Any goodwill towards horsey people built up since last bad equine encounter (I haven't ridden Tokul in a while)--evaporated in an instant.

EMBA Member
    Last week I saw many holes and fresh poop on the trails, then a man and young woman riding their horses out NW Timber. I think they are allowed access to the trails aren't they? I too was disappointed to see the holes, but I was up there this morning and it looked better than last week. Self healing? or someone's already been out to repair?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by freakybro View Post
    Last week I saw many holes and fresh poop on the trails, then a man and young woman riding their horses out NW Timber.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
    !?!?I think they are allowed access to the trails aren't they?!?!?
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
    I too was disappointed to see the holes, but I was up there this morning and it looked better than last week. Self healing? or someone's already been out to repair?

you gotta be kidding me!?!?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    you gotta be kidding me!?!?
    right? freakybro: those trails are open to human shoes and bike tires. All other users prohibited. Signs have pics for non-English speakers.

a few really big holes up on Fully Rigid (the "I hope the horse is okay" size), and the basic rhythm section ones down in Joyride:

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    Yeah they aren't supposed to be on those trails. At all. If you do see horse riders. Stop. Inform them of their transgression in a nice way. Get pics too if you can and of the trailer(s) and let DNR know. Also, if you can give me a general location on fully rigid of the damage (PM is fine if you want) and I'll go up and see what I can fix although moisture is going to be needed for any long term fix. Thanks

EMBA Member
    you wouldn't know it from all the hoof holes I've seen up there over the past couple years, hence my question mark at the end of the question. Thanks for straightening me out, though.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    +1 for nickn's advice

Saw the damage last Wednesday as well. It was interspersed all through FR and JR -- it's probably going to take walking the whole length of both. There was also post hole damage along NW Timber. Nothing up on Summit or Preston that we saw.

I believe Sam@DNR has already been informed...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Are horses allowed at all on Tiger's roads? I just want to know if I should tell people with horse trailers in the parking lot to not bother unloading or not.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

The White Jeff W

Re: Horse damage on FR / Joyride at Tiger

We get a lot of (legal) horse traffic in the park near me. Bikes will smooth that out in no time.
    No moss...

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Are horses allowed at all on Tiger's roads?
    Not sure, but since the roads are gated with turnstiles, horses would not be able to access the roads without using trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Horses have a lot of access on Tiger, saw road apples on Fat Hand yesterday..

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Horses are allowed on Iverson, NW Timber and Preston RR trails. They aren't allowed on any of the new bike-specific stuff.

I'm usually one to chime in and stick up for the horses on trails they're allowed on, even if the damage they do drives me nuts. But this is a bunch of crap, and I'm pretty annoyed that they went and post-holed these new bike trails. Horses do a lot of damage to trails, there's no question about that.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ya.. 1300 lbs of walking rototillers can do a lot of damage... There is many trails open to them, no need to be poaching...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    This sucks but don't get your spanx in a bunch, Mtbers are poaching trails closed to them a lot so don't go over board because of two horses.

Ya it pisses me off but so does Mtbers doing the same things as those horses. Because it's bad for Mtbing ether way.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.