mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Horse/Bike etiquette video recommendations wanted

What's the BEST video you've ever seen educating folks on mountain bike/equestrian trail etiquette?

Please post a link here. Thanks so much!
    Name:  Bikes and horses.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  29.2 KB
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

Just roll it......
    Cap Forest had one a few years back that was pretty good. I'd bet Courtland or someone else down south could track that down.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    There is also a good one about trail etiquette in general with a twist of humor (that you all know I like with my PSAs) that came from COTA down in Bend a few months back. It was floating around FB and I'm sure it got posted here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It's at a bit of a horsey pace, but it was shot locally...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Oh, the old dishpan gap comment....

Slower than "horsey" pace but good intentions. Lower side request is more from a predatory perspective as most cats, etc will track and attack from the high side. Obviously the horse will do a lot more trail damage off the packed trail bed than mtb riders and hikers will too. And have possibly poor footing which will freak them out even more. The 'dusters are out at Pilchuck quite often BTW. Constant talking when approaching and passing is indeed a good thing. Have always had the worst encounters with Bridle Trails types when out in the mixed use woods as they have never had encounters with anyone other than another equestrian. Good find WETYC...

I didn't do it
    Not bad, hopefully its nothing we haven't heard before and already know. I do have a few comments though. The gunshots in the background during the intro are hilarious, no doubt about the location, its pure Capitol Forest gold, pure gold! Second when out on the trail I always yield to horses and in the past couple of years I even go to the downhill side, thanks to a friendly conversation I had with a couple equestrians out on the trail. They took the time to explain why and its no skin off my back so I do it-thanks friendly horsey folks. I always engage in conversation so the horse doesn't think I'm a dangerous predator and that conversation is always in a friendly tone. Around 70% (or greater) of the time I end up having a nice exchange of words and so its no big deal. However what's up with the other 30% with scowls on their face and next to nothing to say back? I'm doing this partly to foster friendly relations but I'll tell you what, I mainly do it because I'm told its necessary to prevent a massive freak out by the horse. So all you equestrians who hate bikes need to suck it up and help me out in these little conversations-I shouldn't have to do all the work on this. These horse people should be watching this video as well and learn how to be friendly to the other trail users. Because we ain't going away so let's work together. In the same vein I'm a naturally friendly dude so I used to approach equestrians in the parking lot, just like the video shows and I often get a big "what the F do you want?" look. I don't need the abuse so....nevermind. And one last thing, I ain't dismounting. I'm already stopped, yielding and talking from the downhill side of the trail, if that's not enough then the horse shouldn't be on a multi use trail and needs more training. OK, one more thing, do something about all that horse crap-can't they put a poop bag on the horse or something like that?

Final word here is this-I actually don't want horses banned on trails I use, I prefer the shared use concept. However I feel that some think its the mountain bikers who need all the education but I argue that equestrians could use some as well.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    There are friendly and unfriendly people everywhere, huh? I agree with you that folks should, at a minimum, be courteous. Geez! I like that the video shows that many equestrians are perfectly happy, if not prefer, to step off the trail to let others pass. I think the main issue is fear of speed and surprise. It is the few thoughtless equestrians or mountain bikers that make it tough on everyone. I shared this video on a few horse sites as well. Take care and enjoy your best season for getting out there!

I didn't do it
    No, the old there are a-holes in every crowd idea ain't what I'm talking about here. I'm referring specifically to an attitude that some, but not all, equestrians seem to have towards other trail users, particularly cyclists. I rarely, if ever, experience this attitude when I encounter other hikers or bikers while riding my bike (well except for the occasional militant hiker but that's very rare). I also have received a similar attitude from equestrians while hiking, most recently at Spring Lake after a friendly "howdy, hows it goin'?" Nothing like silence and crickets to make my friendly overtures feel unappreciated. Again I'm trying to prevent catastrophe here so if its so important that I say something then the least the equestrian can do is say something back. Geez. Hopefully these particular equestrians will watch the video and learn something.

Note that this is a minority of encounters that I'm talking about, most of the time I have a good exchange with folks on horses.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I totally agree that since conversation is for the benefit of the horse and has been requested, *every* horse person should appreciate you taking the initiative. Thank you! I am glad to hear you have mostly good exchanges. However, I tend to give folks the benefit of the doubt, being that I'm very hard of hearing, sometimes riding without hearing aids for fear I'll lose them. I guess sign language wouldn't help the horses?