Sled of Lead.

Highway 410 Trails Question

Hey all,
    I will be on vacation in Washington in about 2 weeks and I'm looking for some route suggestions and maybe some GPX or google earth files of those routes. I'm wanting to do Skookum flats and some variation including Sun Top or Palisades.
    I'm also curious about what kind of riding and routes Crystal Mountain has to offer.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005

mtbr member
    Many people do a sun top and skookum loop, it's bit of climbing but easy enough to navigate. Drop me a PM and I can send you my GPx file from that ride. I think I have one for palisades and white river too.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

I didn't do it
    Be sure to bring your climbing legs, those are some good grinds.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    I didn't think the Corral Pass climb was THAT hard, though it definitely goes on for awhile. Still a bit of a rolling grind before you get to the real downhill sections of Ranger Creek or Palisades. Luckily White River is pretty mellow and packed down, so not too bad if you didn't park along 410 at the bottoms of the descents.

Suntop however, that was just brutally deceiving. After a super long and dusty FS road climb, you get to the lookout tower; it's beautiful, the views of Ranier are stunning, you made it! After a brief rest, you hit the little loose downhill connector, you climb one last little bit.... err, little bit.... umm... sigh, it's actually quiet a bit more climbing to go. Even on the downhill side of things there's some shorter steep pitches to grind up.

The downhills are wicked fast and straight up top, with lots of loose switchbacks towards the bottom, glad I went early during the week and didn't have to worry about masses of hikers. Over fast though compared to all the climbing.

Skookum was actually a lot more fun and technical than I was expecting, which was mostly a simple and flat, easy access weekend hiker trail. Suntop kicked my ass though, and halfway through it I was just in "don't fall in the river" mode to get back to the car. Glad I got to do it, but overall I think I'd rate the other side of 410 higher.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I need to do SunTop. I've done Skookum as an out and back 3 times now, so I feel fairly good there. I love how truly "in the woods" it is. I could probably get out there next weekend...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I haven't ridden those trails in a few years. Does anyone ride the (Nobble Knob) side of 410 anymore? I'd like to find a group still riding it and hopefully tag along.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ReCycle

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Karnveil View Post
    I haven't ridden those trails in a few years. Does anyone ride the (Nobble Knob) side of 410 anymore? I'd like to find a group still riding it and hopefully tag along.
    Yup, folks ride there as much now as they ever did in the past.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yesterday, from Buck Creek, rode a White River / up Palisades / down Ranger Creek loop. Just be aware of the Palisades switchbacks, and what is necessary to get above the stairs. Plenty of climbing, the trails in great shape.