mtbr member
    Jun 2012

High end bike chop shop

Got my bike taken off my rack tonight in downtown Issaquah. Cops told me there are people stealing nice bikes, swapping parts and reselling them. A few nice bikes a day go missing according to ISP.

riders be where and behead the thefts if you get em.

looks like I'm out of riding for a bit, going to make work a little harder and less fun.

mtbr member
    that sucks. thanks for the heads up though. also a description of your bike wouldn't hurt, someone may see it....also was it locked to your rack?

Rider
    that sucks, I recently had my new tr250 stolen. maybe it's the same dirtbags

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    If you don't have the serial number be sure to check around the pawn shops. Some guys was stealing high end bikes awhile back from Microsoft and selling them at pawn shops in Redmond and Bellevue.

Rider
    I have serial numbers and a police report in, do the pawn shops have to report the numbers if someone goes in for a "loan" on a bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ya state law requires them to record everything, most are using an online system now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    cut there fing heads off

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    That sucks!

Can you give some details to help other avoid this?

Was the bike locked? What time was it? Where was it parked? etc..?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pnj View Post
    That sucks!

Can you give some details to help other avoid this?

Was the bike locked? What time was it? Where was it parked? etc..?
    I agree, still waiting for details......

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    And still waiting for details...

I have Thule 917 with the marginal lever lock. Don't think that would hold up. Cable locks wouldn't likely either as those practiced at this would likely have bolt cutters at the ready.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    cable lock, behind the library at dusk of my hitch rack. I was only away from my bike for 45 mins. most expensive dinner ever.

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    45 minutes is LONG time.

My rule of thumb is, don't let your bike out of site. That usually works but I've had friends have their bike jacked at gun point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I just moved over from Idaho, I don't lock a damn thing there and I leave my keys in the ignition (even at the ski hill or trail heads) or just leave the truck running if i going in some where quick. guess I have to get use to shady city hood rats hear.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sad to say that's true.... Surprised we don't already have the annual Tiger summit bike theft thread here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I try to lock my bike from the inside of the frame to the inside of the rack, away from easy reach. I'm sure a determined thief could figure out how to access the cable but it definitely makes it more cumbersome.

Maybe my fleet is getting old enough that I don't need to lock anymore haha. Seriously though, good luck getting yours back.
    Monkeyshines _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 2006 VPfree, 2003 Heckler, 2000 Schwinn Homegrown

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    I always always park my truck on a busy road where lots of people can see my bikes, and always with a cable lock. A pro can break any lock in about a minute, so don't give them privacy.

Sounds like it might be time for some bait bikes if the Issy police would be up for it.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Or a motion sensor on the bike? You'd have to remember to turn it off before you drive.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

Rider
    anyone know if there is anywhere to pick up a gps tracker I might set up my own bait bike

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by robin_hood View Post
    anyone know if there is anywhere to pick up a gps tracker I might set up my own bait bike
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=67686

Battery life would be an issue, otherwise dropping one of these in a seatpost would be perfect.

I'm thinking remote control grenade in the bottom bracket. CL buyer beware.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by juice View Post
    ...Sounds like it might be time for some bait bikes if the Issy police would be up for it.
    We were saying this just last night.

Wouldn't even mind seeing some hillbilly thugs set it up just to video and post to the world their face, cars, home address, etc publicly... and maybe pound the sht out of them.... maybe not the PC way to deal with it, but after that post re the bike appearing on CL and the cops not bothering to jump on it I'm a little fed up.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    People who had their snatched in Issy might drop a note to the place you eat or the chamber of comerce. This may move this issue up on the police to do list.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Hate to say it - but consider that beauty GONE. Unlike cars, once a bike leaves your sight...it's chopped up ASAP and off the radar, permanently. So many eBay bike part auctions contain stolen parts. Frames sometimes can sit undisturbed inside warehouses for years and then later sold, 1000 miles away from you.

My 2001 Cannondale Bad Boy will NEVER have a lock touch it. If a place cannot accept me with my bike....its not getting my business.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"