mtbr member
    May 2004

Hey all you habitual Duthie riders...

Now that dayllight savings time is coming on March 11th, I was planning my now annual weekly attempt at getting you out of the park and learning new east side areas that have plenty of parking and wanted to know which areas around the east side have the most intrest so I can load the EMBA calendar. Past recipients were Tokuls east and west (Will still be leading there.), PVCA, Moss Lake, and Cherry Valley. Thinking about adding Beaver Lake and Tolt thought I don't really like riding either one. May bite the bullet and actually ride Tiger too. Would actually rather show a fun loop at Taylor though. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Why don't you do a true sampler, add places like Tape Worm, St Eds, Victoria Tract, Black Diamond, so on. do a different location each Wed.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Lots of people have issues with after work rides as it is. Vickies on a weeknight is tough for many. And, with so many options, it's easy to miss the one that is available for that area. That's why I did monthly last summer to give a few dates at each place. If a south ender wants to do a weekly series for Henry's/BD/Sawyer/Taylor/Dash. That would be awesome too. North end, maybe PV/Eds/Vickies/Lee Forest/Armstrong/Lord Hill/Japanese Gulch... Options are good. Thinking more Rat Pac, etc and Watt Canyon stuff for easy weekend getaway options.

Then, there's the whole Hood Canal series. Most places I still haven't ridden myself yet.

mtbr member
    A bunch of us do a southend Wednesday night ride. I could probably make it "offical" and post it up. We switch between Tapeworm, Black Diamond, Henry's, and plan to add Taylor and Tiger to the mix in April.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That woudld be great. There is huge post Boot Camp demand for spreading the knobby wings and not a lot of people offering....

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    That woudld be great. There is huge post Boot Camp demand for spreading the knobby wings and not a lot of people offering....
    The calendar has been sparse lately (other than Duthie workparties). Wasn't there a push to organize ride leaders and get more rides, from post boot camp on up to be posted?

Last word is all yours...
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    The calendar has been sparse lately (other than Duthie workparties). Wasn't there a push to organize ride leaders and get more rides, from post boot camp on up to be posted?
    Both statements are true. There was a pretty significant push by Evergreen about a year ago, to get more people to volunteer to lead rides regularly (couple a month was the goal). Borneo was one of the key drivers behind this. About 15 or so people (self included) signed up for that and more or less held to that commitment for the bulk of the prime riding season.

Speaking for myself, I tend to spend the majority of my free time above the snow line during the winter months, so I haven't posted any rides for a while now. I know some of the other people are in a similar situation, meaning a lot more rides will probably start popping up on the calendar in April.

That said, anybody is able and welcome to post a ride on the calendar. All you need is an account.

Although it's pretty easy, maybe it would be worth a dedicated post here to provide some advice and HOWTO on posting rides to the calendar?
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    If I had more free time in the evenings, I would definitely take you up on this.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Lots of people have issues with after work rides as it is. Vickies on a weeknight is tough for many. And, with so many options, it's easy to miss the one that is available for that area. That's why I did monthly last summer to give a few dates at each place. If a south ender wants to do a weekly series for Henry's/BD/Sawyer/Taylor/Dash. That would be awesome too. North end, maybe PV/Eds/Vickies/Lee Forest/Armstrong/Lord Hill/Japanese Gulch... Options are good. Thinking more Rat Pac, etc and Watt Canyon stuff for easy weekend getaway options.

Then, there's the whole Hood Canal series. Most places I still haven't ridden myself yet.
    I'll be switching jobs shortly and will be working on the Eastside, finally making after-work rides more viable. The places for group rides I'm most interested in are the ones less mapped/documented on the wiki, or where the options are enough where having a ride leader suggest routes is more beneficial. The Moss Lake rides I was able to make it to last year were great examples. Places like PVCA and St. Ed's are pretty small and self-explanatory.

Where's Lee Forest? That's the only one I'd never even heard of.

mtbr member
    I'd love to have someone show me around Cherry Valley.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    I'd love to learn some new areas and meet some others. I just started riding last year and have only ridden at PVCA, as it is very close to me and have only ridden alone. A Thursday or Friday evening ride would work for my schedule. I've read about Duthie,sounds great and many other trails, but many of them seem like it would be helpful to go with someone who knows the area.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the input. There is indeed a big demand for getting the Boot Campers and other noobs on to something else besides the Duthie XC trails. I don't know about you all but I'm already pretty bored of them all. But, that's me. I like variety and we're lucky to have that around here. ACREE, c'mon, post up some rides then.
    Tarakith, I'd be more than happy to show you around CV. The front range stuff is actually pretty small acreage wise though. But, like the tokuls, one wrong turn and you can be in Gold Bar or Snoqualmie. Captain, Lee Forest is a small area just north of the Maltby Cafe with about 5-6 miles of trail in it. Fun enough for the locals but not on many radars. Look it up on the web. Led a few rides from the lot behind the cafe and finished up at the ice cream place later. Not epic but an option if you live nearby.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Funny you mention that date

March 11 is my birthday and i'm leading a work party at Duthie. If people come and help out, the trail will get finished sooner, and maybe the day will come where i could be out leading rides like i used to do.

Evergreen MTB Calendar
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Do helpers need to bring you a birthday cake? Or would it be a fire hazzard???

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thread jack alert!

SRG: Are you or any of your minions going to post up some regular rides to get more folks interested in that area down there?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit Ridge Guy View Post
    Do helpers need to bring you a birthday cake? Or would it be a fire hazzard???
    A volunteer brought some super delicious pumpkin cupcakes last Fall. She wound up giving the rest to me so her husband wouldn't eat em all. i took one for the team there... Get in mah belly!
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thread jack alert!
    People like to keep up to speed about your latest Duthie moanings. If i can pick up a few volunteers, i will show not one iota of shame.

Besides YOU'RE the one that brought up my birthday date. You're a birthday jacker.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    March 11 is my birthday and i'm leading a work party at Duthie. If people come and help out, the trail will get finished sooner, and maybe the day will come where i could be out leading rides like i used to do.

Evergreen MTB Calendar
    That sounds like fun. I try to ride before I build, so maybe noonish for me.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, South Africa