Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Henry's Ridge update: Jan 31

I ran most of the trails at Henry's yesterday so here is my report.

1. Viper is pefect! Cleared and really dry.

2. Python is cleared. Name is fitting cause it is a bit slimy. Lots of water run off and a couple of spots we may address drainage. (Lower entrance and a spot towards the top.)

3. Anaconda. I thought it was all cleared but there is a section in the middle of about 50 yards that still has branches and needs raking.

4. Once Upon a Time is clear.

5. Upper Beaver Tracks could use a raking from the upper road to the little foot bridge by Route 66. The last section before the foot bridge was all flooded yesterday and made my run a bit more interesting……..)

6. Trail up behind the big water tower and the boy scout bridge. The guys that worked on it set a new standard for sweeping a trail. I am not sure if they used a wisk broom or leaf blower. That overall section still has more trail to clear.

Left to go:
    1. Lower Beaver Tracks: I have not heard any reports. I will assume it has not been touched yet.
    2. Snake: Not sure
    3. Route 66: Not sure
    4. Master Link: I hear it is rideable.
    5. That small section on Anaconda.
    6. Up behind the big water tower.

We will have another work party on Saturday. Meet at the boulders (same place as last weekend) at 9am. Or please feel free to work the areas noted above.

THANKS!!

kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

sunday ride...

Thanks for your efforts Rick. A few of us plan to ride on Sunday morning and survey some of the trails we ride. I suspect we ride a lot of the Plum Creek stuff in addition to the Henry's Ridge stuff.

Don't know the names of the trails all that well, but do you know the name of the trails we access off of Tribulation? I know we take a left about a third way in, hit an access road then hang a right. I think Ed built them. That is the area we attempted to clean last weekend.

Based on what we find, that will determine where we clean up next, unless you are others have better suggestions.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Summit Ridge Guy View Post

2. Python is cleared. Name is fitting cause it is a bit slimy. Lots of water run off and a couple of spots we may address drainage. (Lower entrance and a spot towards the top.)

3. Anaconda. I thought it was all cleared but there is a section in the middle of about 50 yards that still has branches and needs raking.

5. Upper Beaver Tracks could use a raking from the upper road to the little foot bridge by Route 66. The last section before the foot bridge was all flooded yesterday and made my run a bit more interesting……..)

6. Trail up behind the big water tower and the boy scout bridge. The guys that worked on it set a new standard for sweeping a trail. I am not sure if they used a wisk broom or leaf blower. That overall section still has more trail to clear.

Left to go:
    1. Lower Beaver Tracks: I have not heard any reports. I will assume it has not been touched yet.

We will have another work party on Saturday. Meet at the boulders (same place as last weekend) at 9am. Or please feel free to work the areas noted above.

THANKS!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Left to go:

THANKS!!
    I will resume clearing the trail up behind the big water tower and the boy scout bridge on Friday and join in on the Saturday workparty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks Kurt. I know the trail. I nicknamed it "Roller Blades" since there used to be a pair of roller blades hanging on a tree but I am not sur if Ed has an official name for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    We had more winds last night and this AM. I hear some of the trails that were cleared and that I "finally got ro ride yesterday" are blocked now..........

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    We had more winds last night and this AM. I hear some of the trails that were cleared and that I "finally got ro ride yesterday" are blocked now..........

When I went out on the trails today (at the water tank) the previously cleared parts had a few branches down but way, way less than the ice storm carnage. I would say maybe 2% of the branches from the ice storm and nothing nearly as big. See everyone tomorrow at 9am.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Henry's is now about 90% done!

5 of us went out today and here is the latest:

Viper clean!
    Python clean!
    Anaconda clean!
    The new loop behind the water tower clean!
    Once Upon a Time clean!
    Beaver Tracks clean!
    Snake clean (I think)

To go:
    - The trail that connects Anaconda to the new loop that runs just below the upper retention pond needs to be raked.
    - The newest out and back section of trail up by the new loop has not been touched yet.

BTW. There is a bit of flooding at the one end of Beaver Tracks by the big culvert.

Yee Haa!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Just a little more to go and all the Henry's north trails will be cleared. What a chore this has been. I feel like I raked my arms off. Also we cut out two large logs, one of them had to be cut twice. On the plus side I saw over 20 riders today. No surprise there, a nice day with the trails 99.9 percent dry. All of the riders appreciated the work the three of us were doing. Once again some had never seen the Henry's trails before.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    All of the Henry's north trails have been cleared and raked. As of yesterday I cleared the newest section (which is currently an out and back). Back to building soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Looking forward to riding Henry's. A group went before the cleanup, and before we realized just how bad it was going to be. We moved a few piles but were not prepared for the mess. Hope to get back there soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Fifth post so now I can create a new thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Updated Henry's Ridge Map

Updated the map and had some fun doing it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Henry's Ridge update: Jan 31-henrys-ridge-map-2-21-12.jpg  

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Sweet map, SRG! Love the gnome...

mtbr member
    Brilliant, thank you!!
    "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -- Calvin & Hobbes

mtbr member
    excellent timing, thx a lot for the nice map! ...as I was planning short exploratory ride there sunday b4 the D500 race... rooting for Carl Edwards to win since he's a MTBer
    Ride ON!
    Just an old bike geek. Lifelong Cyclist. MTBer since '86... "Life is a Circle"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Here we are back at it trail building in the Henry's North section after the storm. This is the latest of a series of work parties adding new trail to the north section of Henry's. We will meet at the Four Corners Safeway parking lot near the Starbucks/Papa Johns. Saturday March 17 at 9AM meeting time. Look for my large white Sprinter van. Around 9:10 we will caravan in as a group. Donuts to start and maybe a prize. Bring your favorite tool if you have one along with the usual work wear and gloves. If you don't have any tools no problem, we have quite a few. Email for more info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hi All,

Just a heads up that there are workparties out at Henry's Ridge the next two Saturdays. Details and signup on the Evergreen website. See you there or just ride by and say hi.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just a heads up. The most recent trail work at Henry's behind the big water tank is complete for this phase. The trails are now connected to make a loop. You can either enter at the park by the big water tower or via Anaconda. The two intersections connect to the loop. (One comming from the park the other coming from Anaconda.) Get out there and give it a rip!!!

mtbr member
    Any recommended routes for Henry's?

habitual line-stepper
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    Any recommended routes for Henry's?
    i usually park near the smaller park/play area and go in at the water tower. i do those loops then head to anaconda, anaconda to python, python to viper, viper to once upon a time, once upon a time to the 1st half of beaver tracks, then ride back to my vehicle. that usually takes me about 60-90 minutes. i loves me some viper, so much fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Pretty close to what we did. Once Upon, Beaver all the way to Ravensdale, climbed on Road to the top Water Tower, Anaconda (the wrong way I think), Python, Snake, Car. MIssed Viper. Didn't have time to hit the NW area trails.

Must say we were impressed. You could really get the Sawyer-type trail feel mixed with some Tokul. Barely a puddle even in the swamp so well built. 90-120 minutes of singletrack with some double track thrown in. Never thought there was that much down there. Connect to Sawyer and you could ride all day. Kudos to the builders and King County! I'll be back...Arnold.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the Kudos Navigator. These are my home trails. I am blessed with just pulling out of the garage and two minutes later I am on the trails.

We are not done building at Henry's. More trails and more fun is planned!!

mtbr member
    I dont think there is a wrong way on Anaconda. It rides great both ways!

I personally like to park at Summit Ridge and do a huge clockwise loop of the entire area. We dont hit every traIl, but it doesnt take much effort to get in a 18+ mile ride without hitting anything twice.

swanny
    May 2012
    What skill level are the trails here? I just got back on a mt bike for my first time last night, a 2012 GT Karakoram 1.0. I rode around at dash point and it was fun. Had to walk a couple uphills and a few scary quick downhills I just wasnt comfortable trying yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swanny29er View Post
    What skill level are the trails here?
    I think the difficultty level of these trails is based on how fast you ride them. I don't remember any points where a beginner would have to get off and walk. Very good skill builder with lots of different technical challenges and cornering. Also, no killer hills.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast