Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I just wanna ride my bike

Help finding Easter bunny in Central Washington

Me and the hubby want to spend the Easter weekend in Central Washington where we hope there are some trails open for riding i.e. not snowed in. Can anyone provide a trail status for the Yakima, Cle Elum and Ellensburg areas? (Leavenworth was our original destination but the local bike shop said no go for Easter.)

We realize nothing high up will likely be available but looking for at least 3 days worth of riding. We'll have our FS bikes; prefer singletrack that offers 2 - 4+ hours of riding. Climbing/technical stuff all ok. We just wanna rides our bikes!

Thanks!

Slothful dirt hippie
    I just went skiing on my lunch hour again yesterday in Roslyn. I might try riding home on the RR grade tomorrow after work, but I'm fairly certain all forested singletrack is still socked in.

Sagebrush riding is usually prime-time in April, but other than the oft mentioned Ancient Lakes most of what we try to hit is "roads"... although to be fair I've also heard it called "technical doubletrack".
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    ...but I'm fairly certain all forested singletrack is still socked in.
    That's been my sneakin' suspicion but thought to ask locals. This is one year that I should have pre booked a trip to chase the bunny in desert areas further south. May have to settle for the snowbunny instead

mtbr member
    I've been riding here in yakima for over a month now. Yesterday I woke up to see an inch of fresh snow but by the afternoon I was shredding dry dirt. Only issue is that everything we are riding is young trail and still being built. I'll be out the Saturday of Easter weekend building/riding at a new TH we are developing. You are more than welcome to join. There is probably 7 miles of trail one way currently. Hopefully by Easter weekend there is more!

Another place I would recommend that is more driving but has camping at the trail head is in Echo, OR. LOTS of miles to ride down there. It is probably dry and fast right now.

Quote Originally Posted by boostin View Post
    I've been riding here in yakima for over a month now.

Another place I would recommend that is more driving but has camping at the trail head is in Echo, OR. LOTS of miles to ride down there. It is probably dry and fast right now.
    Thanks Boostin. We're going to try your suggestion re: Echo trails (found out they are good to go). What trails are open in Yakima? Cowiche Canyon?

mtbr member
    Echo should be a good ride. It is easy to do 20+ miles without touching anything twice.

As for Yakima, Cowiche Canyon is dry. Also, we are developing a new trail head. Right now there is 6-7 miles of singletrack laid down. It is basically an out-n-back. We have plans to double the available trail this season, building in some loop/lollipop opportunities It's called Rocky Top and the TH is at the end of Rocky Top road out on Summitview Extension. Parking lot is impossible to miss. We are posting build days/information on the facebook page for Single Track Alliance of Yakima.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheotherH View Post
    That's been my sneakin' suspicion but thought to ask locals. This is one year that I should have pre booked a trip to chase the bunny in desert areas further south. May have to settle for the snowbunny instead
    There is that. The best snow is usually in March.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Speaking of Cowiche, does anyone have a recommended ride route there?

We're looking for a 2-3 hour ride if possible. I'm not sure how much is open to MTB there.

JRA
    mtbr member
    There's also an 8 mile loop you can make in Ephrata on Beezly Hill. Depending on conditions, Sage Hills in Wenatchee might be open in April (they open back up April 1). If you're going all the way down to Echo (tons of fun BTW), you'll pass by the Tri-Cities which has State Patrol, Finley Hills, Chamna Natural Preserve, Badger Mountain and possibly still Olympia Street. Dalles, OR has something called Eagle Caves. Possibly Syncline out of Stevenson, WA? Hook up w/ the locals in Longview for some fun XC trails at Stella or Growlers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTsian View Post
    Speaking of Cowiche, does anyone have a recommended ride route there?

We're looking for a 2-3 hour ride if possible. I'm not sure how much is open to MTB there.
    Cowiche is tricky right now. There are a lot of trails but the fun ones are on private land and currently 'in dispute'. So you won't find any maps of cool routes or best ways. We are technically supposed to stay off them until the land rights are sorted out. Which is why we are building Rocky Top, with a 100% commitment from the land owner to let us build fun trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Ancient Lakes- still good!

Ancient Lakes is still in great shape! Been riding there every weekend. Last weekend we rode from the north parking lot out to the winery, then down to the river ( a few sketchy, hike-a-bike spots) looped back up into Dusty Lake then around to the A.L. loop. Whitewater Rick has been out there clearing rocks off trails for the last month. Thanks, Rick! We got about 4 hrs of riding in, sunshine and 67. Here's a few phone pics- the trail in the canyon starts below Cave B and takes you down Babcock Bench to the water. The pic is taken from the rimrock where the trail starts descending.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help finding Easter bunny in Central Washington-al1.jpg  

Help finding Easter bunny in Central Washington-al2.jpg  

Slothful dirt hippie
    Yeah, we were out there last Sunday with the kid and her little fishing pole, REALLY nice. I even might have turned a little pink in the sun.

It's been raining like heck though even at our house down towards Eburg. Hoping it hasn't turned into miles of sage-in-peanut-butter-clay.

Echo should be a good ride. It is easy to do 20+ miles without touching anything twice.
    Can you give more info as to the best route to ride the Echo trails, i.e. clockwise, certain loops? Are the trails signed and easy to follow? Thanks.

JRA
    mtbr member
    Good starting point Blue Mtn Trails

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Echo is freaking awesome. I did the Echo Red and it was great. I'm riding up there in two weekends. Great weather too.

By the way, has anyone seen a prickly pear in Eastern Washington?

Slothful dirt hippie
    I've rarely seen a very small kind. From an excellent reference website:
    Prickly pear cactus pictures

We are developing a new trail head. Right now there is 6-7 miles of singletrack laid down. It is basically an out-n-back. It's called Rocky Top.
    We rode Rockytop today all the way up to the radio tower. The climb up certainly blew out the winter dust in our lungs. Great views on the trail and a fun descent. Surprised to see only one other person biking on a holiday Friday. Thanks for the recommendation!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    We rode Rockytop today all the way up to the radio tower. The climb up certainly blew out the winter dust in our lungs. Great views on the trail and a fun descent. Surprised to see only one other person biking on a holiday Friday. Thanks for the recommendation!
    Generally not a no-work holiday here.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Packaging and working on bikes doesn't count as work in my world

mtbr member
    Awesome! I hope you were able to find all the sections of single-track leading to the top. Some of it isn't clearly marked yet. (like the last climb which is after the signed horse trail)

Not too many people have been out to Rocky Top so far. All the trail there is only a year old. Glad you enjoyed it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hoping for some Ancient action tomorrow. (Let the snarky comments fly....)

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Awesome! I hope you were able to find all the sections of single-track leading to the top. Some of it isn't clearly marked yet. (like the last climb which is after the signed horse trail)
    I think we got all the singletrack sections but did the hike a bike up the horse trail until the local guy told us about the singletrack section a little farther up the double track. We did ride the singletrack on the way down though.

TheOtherH has a bunch of photos from our 3 rides that she'll be posting to this thread.

Thanks for all the trail suggestions, we had a great trip.

mtbr member
    Plus one for Echo. We did some nice riding there about a year ago. Be carefull if you get off the trail even a little bit; goatheads are rampant. We stayed at the "campground" in Town which wasn't much more than a parking lot in front of the mobile home park. Is camping really allowed at the trailhead? Did you just stay in the little parking lot there?
    free-flowing meat waves of possibility...

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by yoterryh View Post
    Be carefull if you get off the trail even a little bit; goatheads are rampant.
    I agree, one of our group flatted when she pulled off the trail a bit to let another rider through. Slime tubes or Stan's filled tires might not be a bad idea when riding here?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yoterryh View Post
    Is camping really allowed at the trailhead? Did you just stay in the little parking lot there?
    There is a spot next to the parking lot that has a fire pit in the center and camping is allowed there to the best of my knowledge. If you have any questions I am sure the guys at Bike and Board in Echo would be able to give you the 100% straight and true answer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast