mtbr member
    Aug 2004

HelensFest IV this weekend!

Camp and ride on Mount St Helens! Multiple rides Friday and Sunday; trailwork on Saturday followed by food and beer. Free admission. You will need to bring your own water.

For more information and to register, visit Helens Fest - Evergreen Trail Guide or Helens Fest IV | Northwest Trail Alliance / Calendar

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks BikeGirl100 for posting. Both links you provided are helpful and should be read by participants.

We have more people signed up at the Evergreen calendar, looks like a great turnout this year when combined with the NWTA registrations. It doesn't really matter where people sign up, but link to Evergreen calendar also is given at Evergreen MTB Calendar

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If anyone lost a knife on Ape Canyon trail during this event, PM me with description.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Super sweet weekend.

Snow was low enough to finally make it to Craggy Peak on Friday although we couldn't quite find a route to the peak (or wasted our time confusedly riding around it). But all errors are erased by the pretty insane downhill (moto trail rules !).

Ironman (Pinchflat) also came up with a really good variation on Goat Mt. I was skeptical but it could become the recommended route - Ryan Lake down Green River trail (mildly downhill fast lower trail through great forest), then climbing up to Vanson Lake, proceeding to DEadman's lake. The beauty of this route is the stunning scenery comes at the end instead of the beginning, its a loop instead of an out an back, and you end on an insane downhill instead of the CCW loop option where you have to ride up the Green River trail for 5 miles at the end. Also most people can probably ride the majority of the climb vs coming up Goat Mt. I've been on some epic rides in my day and this was one of them - Deadman's lake is probably the warmest lake I've ever swam in, and you could view your shadow swimming along the bottom.

Be warned though, after the pleasantness of Green River, the day is all uphill until the final descent. But its a great climb, not super techy, but with some decent pitches to make it fun and 100% pedal.