mtbr member

headed south to Crystal Mountain area. Places to ride?

Hey,

My girlfriend has a trail running race down south at Crystal Mountain. I'm going to cruise down there with her and camp for two nights. Where's a good place to ride? I'm an "all mountain" kind of rider.

I've found Skookum Flats while doing a little research on the web. How's that place. I'm into rooty/rocky technical trails.

Thanks in advance.
    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

mtbr member
    Ranger Creek, Suntop, Palisades, the Crystal trail itself. There was just a thread here with maps and such if you search back to last week.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I think Ranger Creek, Corral Pass, Suntop and Skookum Flats are all part of the White River 50 trail running Race.
    So If you don't want to Ride on the Race course your options may be limited. Maybe ride at Crystal?

Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    Ranger Creek, Suntop, Palisades, the Crystal trail itself. There was just a thread here with maps and such if you search back to last week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I remember Skookum to be pretty rooty and rocky. Ride up to Suntop (or get a ride up), the trail back down used to be great, lots of singletrack with switchbacks etc, it's been a long time since I've been there but it used to be fantastic.
    If you're into something a lot longer; once we left a car down by Skookum, drove up to the CM parking lot, rode to the top (killer climb, take a lift maybe instead, that climb has made c1 racers puke) and you can do a long downhill (there's probably several nowadays) out Northway way the heck back down to the parking area at Skookum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    When is this race. From What I remember Skookum would fall in to the category of being dumbed down within the last couple of years. It was really a sweet ride from top to bottom the last time I rode it. It used to be fairly rooty with some hiking (especially after a suntop day which is the only way I've ridden it). We're thinking of doing our suntop loop this weekend. Hopefully there is nota footrace scheduled...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Race is scheduled for July 27th. White River 50 miler. Foot Race
    Easy Trail Run

QUOTE=wickstad;10536132]When is this race. From What I remember Skookum would fall in to the category of being dumbed down within the last couple of years. It was really a sweet ride from top to bottom the last time I rode it. It used to be fairly rooty with some hiking (especially after a suntop day which is the only way I've ridden it). We're thinking of doing our suntop loop this weekend. Hopefully there is nota footrace scheduled...[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks mtnbeer. And don't get me wrong about skookum. I like it better now and should have used "dumbed down" in quotes.

We have also ridden Crystal in that neighborhood. We do it as an out and back to the restaurant from the north end.