mtbr member
    May 2004

Harris Park in Walla Walla the 21st

No Bend trip this year as its on for a Recon to SE WA and NE OR. Any locals have good rides from the Harrris CG or is there a better TH up the road for North Fork and South Fork? Want to spend 2 days riding there before heading to the Umatilla Rim area. Cub Saddle, etc.....

MERA, Breshears, Solstice after that and then Phillips Lake and Elkhorn outside Baker City. Echo looks way too hot and dry by then.

Thanks in advance!

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Dunno about the earlier stuff you mention, but I can't wait for a RR about Elkhorn when you get back. That trail sure intrigued me when I did part of it two years back.

The area I wonder about is behind Cornucopia and vicinity. Though it borders on wilderness area, it looks like agazillion trails into and out of the Wallowa's and even legal in some places?

Only other place I suggest is Steens Mtn, but that's mainly for the high altitude riding and screaming fast DH on the road, something a VRC guy like me needs.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Cornucopia et al do look really nice but it looks like a bunch of 2-4 mile trails connected by roads and a pretty confusing maze indeed. Some very cool looking terrain though. I guess you can ride Elkhorn right from camp on Phillips Lake and there is a bunch of trails on the south side including a highly recommended "Super D" as well as the trail that runs around the lake itself.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    yeah, that is a problem with the whole edge of the Wallowa's, looks like a lot of connecting stuff but since there is so much out there I have a hard time envisioning any traffic issues or moto altercations. A maze and then some, for sure.

What I had heard about Elkhorn was that it isn't doable from end to end because it hits that wilderness area for what, a quarter mile maybe? Depending on who I talked too, I got different answers. Some say riding through was alright, whereas another pair I met says the northern end can be bypassed by starting halfway down towards North Powder from Anthony Lakes. I saw the sign for that trail but didn't have time to go back and explore it after already riding.

I wouldn't mind trying to start from Phillips Lake, that sounds OK. I guess the climbing is probably tougher that way also since you are starting at a much lower elevation.

We are trying to get out there this year, but since I will be moving to BC later this summer it may not happen. Baker City is a a great place to have as a base camp, I am envious of you Borneo getting out there early before it gets super hot!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Pretty exciting since it isn't the same ol' Bend trip this year after 13 of those... Don't get me wrong, Bend is freakin' amazing but as fun as "Funner" is, it gets old after a while.

That whole Blues/La Grande area look like it has serious potential but, like a lot of other places, it doesn't do much to promote itself. Oakridge didn't get so popular until they promoted the heck out of the place, for example. Some places just don't want to turn into a service dependent economy I think. I think for example that Roslyn/Cle Elum could very well be Washington's "Bend". But.......

9 days straight of riding so there will be a lot to report. Just don't expect loads of photos uploaded and a helmet cam video of every trail with GPS coordinates.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    [QUOTE=Borneo;10449804]Pretty exciting since it isn't the same ol' Bend trip this year after 13 of those... Don't get me wrong, Bend is freakin' amazing but as fun as "Funner" is, it gets old after a while.

That whole Blues/La Grande area look like it has serious potential but, like a lot of other places, it doesn't do much to promote itself....

Man, 13 so far?! I gave up on Bend about a decade ago, but that was due more to finding stuff locally that any other factor.

I hope that La Grande and the area don't push to much out there media-wise, the quiet and remote part of eastern Oregon is something I really like. When I first hit the area up three years back for mtn biking (I have been watching trains there for a decade and some) I was somewhat disappointed since I hadn't tapped into the local network.

So we went back for another try. Damn glad I did. Mt. Fanny has a good network of trails, just takes awhile to get there. Then I found Elkhorn for the first time, I knew that this place was worth every penny then. Add to the fact that food and motels are cheap, we're in!

We might try to hit La Grande next month, I was planning on going to that race at Loup Loup on the 28th but I think the shape I am in warrants more riding first before attempting that.

So, I will finish off with....ever rode over in the Strawberries? I think we touched briefly on this last year, there is riding over there according to the maps I look at, but that dam wilderness boundary kind of gets in the way.

Nine days sounds like heaven! I can't wait to read the RR and could care less for the video or other stuff, you writing is way sufficient to put it into proper context.

mtbr member

Re: Harris Park in Walla Walla the 21st

Going on a la grander instead of a Bender? Looking forward to the report of the next grand thing as every time I've passed through I knew this is a place like you felt it too...
    Last edited by Len.Francies; 06-06-2013 at 11:43 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yep. Even some Bendites I know want a report as well. the hard part is getting a "best of" in the time frame allotted. Unicrown mentioned Mt. Fanny which doesn't get real high marks and doesn't seem well known from other reports I've gotten. mappage down there is sketchy too. (No Green Trails maps for example) So, it's Total Recon this year. Bucket list schtuff.

Just roll it......
    Borneo, have you reached out to Kevin Pogue yet? He'd be a good source of information to start from.....I suspect there's a bunch out there that even he doesn't know.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    No. I have printed out his guidebook though. (Somewhat confusing.) But, better than a certain Falcon book. Good point though. I will indeed contact him. The "other" Kevin of Thrilla fame may be joining us for the WaWa portion of the trip which will help. S Fk WaWa look crazy good.

Just roll it......
    AFAIK, that guide book is many years old. My guess is (if Kevin is still riding), he would have the best and most updated info.

EB

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Been doing a little web searching and can't find contact information. Any ideas? Also, Harris Park is looking less and less like what I'm looking for. Something a little less formal in the area may be a little more appropriate.

Edit: In conversation with Kevin via e-mail now. Yay!
    Last edited by Borneo; 06-07-2013 at 06:09 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hehehe, I scrolled through the old Jaybo thread EB and read about you guys meeting up with Kevin over some terroir. Spoke with a local ranger for about 40 minutes at lunch today and got some more really good intel. He's sending me the latest maps too if anyone wants a copy. Probably up at Target Meadows now accessing the N and S Fk WaWa trails via Burnt Cabin for two days. Looks like we can even connect to Umatilla Rim from there via a few ski and snowmobile trails. Gonna be a lot of late night map scheming. Bummer JRA won't be able to make it now.