I should be out riding
    Sep 2004

Hansen ridge snow free yet?

Anyone been up there yet? May check it out tomorrow.

I didn't do it
    Be sure to bring your bullet proof vest.

mtbr member
    I went up there last sunday turned back after about a mile and a half because it was to hot for my dog. Didn't see any snow and there were target shooters in the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You need to report them to the forest service. You don't need to confront them, but the FS needs to know so that they can handle it. They are not supposed to be shooting within any reasonable distance of the trailhead. It was well posted last year that it was off limits to shooting. Are the signs gone or so shot to sh!t that they can't be read?
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    The signs are still there I didn't have any trouble reading them. The FS office is closed Sunday and Monday so I sent an email when I got home.

I didn't do it
    I haven't been up there this year yet but last year the signs were taken down, presumably by people target practicing. The problem is that there's still a full fledged shooting pit up there so until that pit is fully decommisioned somehow I'm pretty sure the shooting will continue, sign or no signage. The more the FS hears about it then the more likely a more permanent solution will be found.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    The trail is entirely snow free and open. Just a little brushing that could be done. We did some, and cut the only two small trees out of the trail. Saw 3 other groups of riders. A few people shooting at various points on the drive up, all safely into hillside backstops.

I didn't do it
    Sounds like no shooting at the trailhead? That would be good news.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    No shooting at the TH itself while we were up there. The only vehicles at the TH were bikers.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    What was your route? Did you go all the way to the lake?

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Trailhead to the "T", right and out to the end of the trail, then back to the T. Then right, down to the upper TH. Then back up, and down the way we came. This way. The lake is cool, but not enough trail to justify the road, especially having done it already.

The area has potential if we could ever get some singletrack in there, ideally starting from I-90.

It's amazing that Hansen ridge can be so identically constructed compared to Granite Lake, yet Hansen is a 'mountain bike trail', and DNR closed Granite to bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    >The lake is cool, but not enough trail to justify the road

You skipped swimming in a mountain lake ? WTF ?

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    I can see the moral dilemma you'd have choosing between the evils of road riding to get to a mountain lake. If you haven't been up there, check it out. The lake is worth riding to at least once.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Agreed. IF it isn't the hottest day of the year... The last mile or so to the lake has been, "put to trail" and if the trail is clear, it's pretty fun. Some cool "paved with flat boulders" creek crossings too. Looking forward to a lot of road going away and getting more trail out of it. Tough to justify the incomplete road section now though. Especially as an OAB.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This may surprise some of you that know me, since I am by nature a pessimistic cynic, but riding a logging road, as long as the surface is not shitty soft and torn up and there are no vehicles to contend with, at least you are in the woods, is a better way to spend time than almost anything else. I have days where I just don't feel like I want to be focused on navigating single-track and see some nature instead.

I haven't done the Hansen Ridge trail/road out to the lake yet, but I am planning on it next week sometime, when it's hot again.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3