Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Hansen Ridge -RR 7/13/14 with video

A group of us rode Hansen Ridge today.

Road up - Its in great shape, hardly any potholes, and the parking are has been cleaned up a good deal since I was out there is 2012. You could drive a Honda Civic up there no problem.

We started riding about 7:20am, so it was fairly cool up the first climb. THe trees have grown a lot since I was up there last so shade was much better. A lot of sections are loose, but the dust wasnt too bad for the most part, and the stream crossing were all shallow and refreshing to bomb thru. I love the trail diversity up there: fast buff spots, sweet rock gardens, dusty open descents, fast singletrack in the woods and just about anything you can think of.

We ended up riding all the way to the lake and I had it at nearly 10 miles on the nose. A tad longer than listed on the Evergreen site, but in the ballpark. The lake was amazing. Really clear and clean and I got some great gopro footage of it. It appears to be about 20ft deep in the middle with a sandy bottom. Very surprising.

During the ride back it hit 90 degrees so we took our sweet time and finished a little after 1pm. I had the full ride at 20 miles, and I'd consider it a borderline epic ride. Twice the climbing/descending of Tiger, and 410 type views. The middle section after phase 2 still needs to be build/converted, but it is still worth the ride. When the full loop is completed it will be a legit all day tour, but even now I'd HIGHLY recommend hitting it up while you can!

I threw together a quick video showing all the diverse terrain and incredible lake swim reward at the half way point!

2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    May 2013
    That sounds like a great ride, is that trail pretty easy to navigate?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Mr. Lynch, you made it look like it was down hill both directions! (Sneaky guy.....)

mtbr member
    It's down hill both ways, in the sunshine!

There are only 3 intersections, so it is easy to figure out. We took the upper trailhead from the parking lot so you take the first left where Phase 1 meets Phase 2. At the end of Phase 2 you come out on a logging road and you go right (left is a dead end). That runs for a few miles and at the next intersection you go left (uphill) and that climbs all they way up to the lake.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    looks like an amazingly fun trail. i'm guessing that's your heartbeat we hear thumping away in the video?

mtbr member
    The mic on the Gopro 3 seems to pick it up real well. Never heard on the old gopro.
    The trail has over 3k of climbing, but you get 3k of descending too. It not all one shot though. There are about 4 climbs and 4 descents of varying length in each direction. The final climb up to the Lake is a good grunt, but after swimming you get a nice descent to start the return.

If anyone does the ride soon, I'd recommend some floaties/raft and good bug spray for the lake. Lots of annoying deer flies and mosquitoes.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    I've got it at 156bpm...

That trail is pure All-mountain. When I see all the sweet single track it almost makes me forget about the massive climbs. Just needs a chairlift.

Loved the swimming dog shots. Glad those other guys had swim trunks on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Needs better signage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch
    ... and the parking are has been cleaned up a good deal since I was out there is 2012.
    Great video! It really shows what an awesome ride it is, I hope more bikers use this regularly.

The parking lot is cleaner, but still pretty sad shape and continues to get abused. People have destroyed the sign to the trailhead, see pic of what remains. My guess is the sign had rules they did not agree with, but that would be just a shot in the dark.

Hansen Ridge -RR 7/13/14 with video-hansenridgetrailheadsign.2014.07.13.small.jpg

mtbr member
    My first ride up there was August 2012 and we had to carry our bikes thru the parking lot past the gate. I still wouldnt call it "clean", but you can actually ride your bike thru the lot now, so it does look a lot better.

To the lake and back is basically the same as doing the Tiger climb twice, but broken up into about 6 sections of climbing. Atleast the last 2.5 miles is all downhill back to the car!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I gotta get up there! Thanks for the stoke

EMBA Member
    Yeah, thanks. I will put it on the list. Slim

I5Troll
    Bryan, Graham and I just wrapped up 5 days of work with a mini-exc and WCC crew on the Carter Creek trail segment. Some trail work shots coming. Here is the section:

Hansen Ridge -RR 7/13/14 with video-workplan2.jpg

That whole mile+ new Carter Creek trail connecting the east side Phase 2 road-to-trail segment to the 510RD was abandoned in 2011 due to a series of CFs. Operator heart attack, proj mgr spine surgery, operator pre-mature birth, crazy fire season shutdowns and then early snow! So it was left 5-10 ft wide, with poor drainage and some unfinished tread.

The trail was narrowed to 3-4 ft, grade reversals added, turns insloped and drained, some meandering added. The rough wet section before the road was also cleaned up with some drainage, rock armored crossings, grade reversals and a banked turn into a rock feature.

Some shots of the watershed side. Very tough to get access in there so a rare view of Rainier...

Hansen Ridge -RR 7/13/14 with video-img_0348_cartercreekrainier.jpg

Hansen Ridge -RR 7/13/14 with video-img_0345_carterrainierzoom.jpg

The I90 side...

Hansen Ridge -RR 7/13/14 with video-img_0350_cartercreekolive.jpg

Awesome video! A couple spots have changed. Check it out. Here are a few things...

• Totally opened up and cleaned up the log bridge rider-arounds in the first 30 seconds (USFS risk mgt issue… some of the ride-arounds weren’t even visible).
    • Narrowed the entire mile+ of new trail starting at 30 seconds – insloped and drained all the turns (there were water ruts running down and across them), added grade reversals, narrowed the entire mile, added a tiny bit of meandering across the old wide bench
    • The piece of art at 1:50 was started by Kevin Schmuck and the Greenway’s contractor in 2011 and finished by Tyler in 2013.
    • Switchbacks through the Talus field at 2:10 were re-built by Tyler, Graham, Bryan and I in 2013. I'm only slightly exaggerating when I say there was ~1 cup of usable dirt per ton of sharp angular rock. Very tough to get a decent riding surface through that steep section.

Gotta send out a HUGE HUGE thanks to Jesse and the WCC crew! Wow! What a great job. The rain that made camping a nightmare was absolutely perfectly timed for the trail! Primo dirt right now. Go git some.

mtbr member
    Very good chance we will be up there again this Sunday. If anyone is interested in joining us shoot me a PM. Supposed to be 80s on Sunday, so perfect for another swim!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Thanks, Mike, Bryan and Graham -- and to Big Kev and Ty as well! Can't wait to see it for myself!

But did you have to bring a dog out there? She looks like a menace...

Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0350_CarterCreekOlive.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	910367

I5Troll

South Fork Carter Creek -- Before and After Shots

Here is the steep rocky traverse BEFORE:

Hansen Ridge -RR 7/13/14 with video-cartercreeksteeptraverse_before.jpg
    (too wide, stumps sticking up everywhere)

And AFTER:

Hansen Ridge -RR 7/13/14 with video-cartercreeksteeptraverse_after.jpg
    (on the really steep traverse, we just tossed the trail shoulder overboard and tore out as many stumps as possible, and the WCC flush cut the rest of the stumps.

Some examples of the added curve and narrowing:

Hansen Ridge -RR 7/13/14 with video-img_4929_addingcurvenarrowingtrail.jpg

Hansen Ridge -RR 7/13/14 with video-img_4928_addingcurvenarrowingtrail.jpg

Hansen Ridge -RR 7/13/14 with video-img_4917_addingcurvenarrowingtrail.jpg

EMBA Member
    Thank you guys so very much for the work up there. I am already booked for this Sunday and next weekend but hopefully by the end of next month. I see there is a GPX track on the Evergreen website for the ridge. How about coming up with a GeoPDF to use with the Avenza PDF Maps app I heard about at the trail building school. That's the route some of us go. Slim

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Print off a map, stuff it in your pack or pocket and go ride it! Hansen Ridge is pretty self-evident when you are out there as long as you find the trailhead.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nice work Mr. Westra!!!

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Print off a map, stuff it in your pack or pocket and go ride it! Hansen Ridge is pretty self-evident when you are out there as long as you find the trailhead.
    Just drop a waypoint so I can make it back. Made the mistake of not doing that the first time I rode Tiger. Ended up on the Powerline Rd coming back and that sucked. Slim

I5Troll
    SlimL, Here are links to the GeoPDF of the SFork. Shoot me an email if you can't download one of these (mwestra at evergreen mtb dot org).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...P1_P2_0912.pdf

http://192.163.202.209/trails?task=d...adl_file&id=91

mtbr member
    We did get a tad mixed up at 1 spot last time we rode out there, but for the msot part it is easy to follow.
    Where Stage 2 ends at the old logging road go RIGHT! Left looks more used, but up top is a dead end party spot.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

EMBA Member
    Thanks Mike I got the PDF. I am just a touch old school; don't have data and haven't upgraded my GPS to a newer model that's easier to read. So an iPod Touch with PDF Maps works great for me. And thanks so much to Evergreen for representing us so well. Slim

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Trails look really nice! It's on my must hit afterwork list

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trees4me View Post
    Trails look really nice! It's on my must hit afterwork list
    Let me know if you want to team up for a lap, p.m. sent

mtbr member
    I should be able to post up a before and after shot of the area they worked. it's cool to see the difference a little work makes!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast