mtbr member

greenwater area conditions?

I realize its early but I figured I'd throw this out there. Maybe someone has hiked some of the 410 stuff. I'm just hoping there aren't a ton of blow downs but I fear that may well be the case having pushed up Deep Creek last year and seeing all the carnage from a "normal" year. Also can anyone speak to the feasibility of rogue trail maintenance in that area, say hiking in a chain saw and clearing blow downs for instance. Purely hypothetical of course....

mtbr member
    Other than Skookum Flats, everything up there is not even close to passable. You're going to be in 3-4 feet of snow a few hundred feet above the highway, and Corral still has over 8 feet. Can't really asses the trail damage until you can see it, and early is a bit of an understatement...

I believe that you need a permit to operate a chainsaw on NFS land, but I think it's fairly easy to get. Nothing rogue about it, they love the help. Ask Lenny, he cleared all of Palisades last summer when it finally melted.

mtbr member
    well it just so happens I spoke to a Enumclaw-ite today who hiked up to the cabin on Palisades within the last couple weeks, before the most recent bout of rain and snow we've had so maybe things aren't so bad?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scotteric View Post
    well it just so happens I spoke to a Enumclaw-ite today who hiked up to the cabin on Palisades within the last couple weeks, before the most recent bout of rain and snow we've had so maybe things aren't so bad?
    Did you ask him/her if they were wearing snowshoes?

Last word is all yours...
    Jack posted an update on the trails wiki that Skookum and White River were rideable. Thanks, Jack!
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Did you ask him/her if they were wearing snowshoes?
    Looks like we have a gen-uine comedian in our midst

mtbr member
    A friend just posted a pic on facebook yesterday from top of Palisades saying "its open for business". He hiked it as he is recovering from shoulder surgery but I'll try and talk to him today and get some details......410!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That seems pretty hard to believe given the snow levels. But, go for it and let us know. My guess is that it won't be "open" until late May or even June.

mtbr member
    I won't be heading out that way until Ranger and Deep Creek are open or at least Christof....

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ahhhh, Christof/Huckleberry.... the unknown 410 ride. Wish more people would ride it actually.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Ahhhh, Christof/Huckleberry.... the unknown 410 ride. Wish more people would ride it actually.
    That one is on my "to do list" this year. Looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    That seems pretty hard to believe given the snow levels. But, go for it and let us know. My guess is that it won't be "open" until late May or even June.
    =======
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    where's the trailhead? i'll ride it
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have parked at the Greenwater fire station. Trail comes out back behind the Greenwater Tavern. Coincedence? think not....

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    exellent planning though

w/ 100" of snow @ Corral Pass, down low for 410 looks like the only options for quite some time. oh well
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Early season = out and back

Just ride up Ranger. If you hit snow, turn around and get some extra miles on White River.

Every year I marvel at the people who need to do an early season loop, get hung up in snow, and report on their epic. I'd rather keep my toes warm and do a ride that I know I can complete on the bike instead of trudging through snow and the obvious risks. To each their own, but I think riding up Ranger is underrated, pointless to go up Corral Pass road if you don't know that you can complete the ride.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Exactly.

The best conditions of the year are while the upper area is snowed in, thus before the trails gets trashed from shuttlers. I like the upper portion as well, but will gladly take an out and back on Ranger with almost no one else on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by kenobonn View Post
    Just ride up Ranger. If you hit snow, turn around and get some extra miles on White River.

Every year I marvel at the people who need to do an early season loop, get hung up in snow, and report on their epic. I'd rather keep my toes warm and do a ride that I know I can complete on the bike instead of trudging through snow and the obvious risks. To each their own, but I think riding up Ranger is underrated, pointless to go up Corral Pass road if you don't know that you can complete the ride.

Old and Crusty
    Nov 2010
    Kenobonn - I used to live at Crystal, this time of the year I had usually had my fill of skiing so I daily rode down and got in rides on the lower trails. Many years these were some of the best rides of the season before the yahoo's of summer and fall started showing themselves. Sorry to all you yahoo's - but seriously I'm referring to those riders that eat their powerbars and throw wrappers in the woods, toss their gatorade bottles in the bushes for me and others to haul out later in the fall. That sort of crap pisses me off, but anyways that wasn't the point of this post anyways. Too many gravity riders out there anyways, if you can't climb up for your downhills stay home.

6'4"-6'9" with the afro
    Totally. Gravity riders suck. Cause all of em litter. Sweet attitude. The Issaquah Alps Club called: they want their mtb liaison back.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Old and Crusty
    Nov 2010
    Fletch .....awesome!!! LOL yeah I was on a tangent there.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scotteric View Post
    A friend just posted a pic on facebook yesterday from top of Palisades saying "its open for business". He hiked it as he is recovering from shoulder surgery but I'll try and talk to him today and get some details......410!
    I'll ask my question about showshoes again

This report says you will still hit snow below the top of ranger.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenobonn View Post

Last year late in the season I pushed/pedaled up Deep Creek and then cut across the top trail (name?) to Ranger Creek. I found that to be a good loop. You get some of the views on the higher trail, minimal climbing once up there to reach Ranger and of course the Ranger descent. I've been riding those trails since the early 90's but had never done this option before and I gotta say for me its a good one. May have to do out and back on Ranger soon though just to get my fix............

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

To each their own...

I was only suggesting to ride up trails early season, no political commentary about gravity riders. I like to know the ride is possible before doing it, or at least be prepared for the consequences / alternatives after discovering it's either not possible or is a suck fest. For me, that translates to not doing loops while it's not known if the trail is rideable.

To acree's point, yeah, definitely. I was at Ranger two weeks ago, rode a portion of it late in the day, did not see another soul. Wonderful. To the later points, I'm too busy checking helmets at trailheads to bother with who leaves food wrappers on the trails.