mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Great work by Evergreen @ Big Finn Hill

Just came back from the Saturday OGRe’ (old guy ride) at Big Finn Hill and have to send out praise for Evergreen and everyone that worked on the reroute on the West side of Juanita Drive. As far as I’m concerned that reroute is the perfect example of how things should be done; it was flowy and interesting both up and downhill, and there was almost a sense that the previous fall line trail never existed.

Even the OGRe’s, who generally have something to b*tch about were unified in their satisfaction with the improvement. Nice job!
    Last edited by wipp; 10-06-2013 at 09:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I agree. Rode the new part the other day and it was done really well. Me and some co-workers ride there in the am before work and I love the trails. Thanks to everyone who keeps them up.

mtbr member
    Just saw that this morning, fun little reroute for sure. I like the new/improved perimeter trail along 72nd too, nice to see some new options out there.

Are there more reroutes of existing trails planned?
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Tarekith, take a look at the trail plan, either online at KC Parks' website or via the maps on the kiosk at NE 138th Pl. Not much actually happening (at least nothing authorized...:-) ) on the perimeter trail along 72nd, since it's designated "walker priority", but yes, some new bike-oriented fun is going to happen elsewhere. Glad you like the reroute: so does KC Parks, which bodes well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Is the re-route the trail that heads downhill from the dirtjump clearing towards Juanita Drive? I'd like to check out the work (& plan to join a workparty as soon as one is posted).

mtbr member
    When you're going from Ed's to Finn and cross over 72, go left instead of right towards the long log ride. The new reroute is at the bottom of that trail, right by where it meets Juanita. It's a short reroute, the whole trail wasn't rerouted.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Cool thanks. I rarely if ever take that trail down to Juanita Dr. Will check it out next visit.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It's great to hear reviews like this from bikers, but everyone should know we get a lot of great comments from walker as well which is important to the success of the trail plan.

I was out yesterday afternoon in the park and watched someone build up one of the log piles then watched him ride it. I did not say anything because I know him and know who he knows. I mentioned it to someone that can better address it with him. The reason I bring this up is to remind everyone that we are working hard to make this a great place for everyone...not just to cater to bikers or certain types of bikers. If you see this kind of thing going on remind them in a friendly manner that illegal trail modification only works against our cause no matter how minor it may seem and point them in the direction of joining work parties (a few of you might know just how far bringing the rogue builders into the legitimate work force can go ).

EMBA Member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fluxcapacitor View Post
    (a few of you might know just how far bringing the rogue builders into the legitimate work force can go ).
    Yes we do and we appreciate your hard work Flux. Many times its just education as they may not know whats going on.

I talked to a dozen folks yesterday on Tiger regarding the trail work who didn't know what was fully going on or when the trails will get open. It's fun too see their eyes light up and they start drooling when they hear about it. Even better when I over hear one of them share that new info with someone else. Passing that stoke around so we can all get high on some brown pow!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Connector trail between south end of Big Finn with OO Denny Park?

Is there a trail that connects the OO Denny Park area off Holmes Point Drive with the South End of Big Finn Hill Park?

Looking for a way to ride into Big Finn Hill from Holmes Point. On the Map I see a fair amount of open space between Holmes Point and the South end of Big Finn Hill Park. Wondering if there's a trail that runs along that drainage that will bring me into Big Finn Hill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Great work by Evergreen @ Big Finn Hill-oc-denny-big-finn.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

EMBA Member
    Oct 2006
    No, it turns into a super steep ravine. We looked at that in our plan, but it would be next to impossible to have a sustainable trail up there plus I didn't think there was any biking allowed on the trails in Oo Denny Park.

There is a couple who own a home that people use to cut through who are interested in having a better trail for people to use (away from their back windows), but from a biking stand point OO Denny would have to allow bikes on the trails and that would mean working with the OO Denny group.
    Last edited by kasperilio; 10-09-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: added info

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kasperilio View Post
    No, it turns into a super steep ravine. We looked at that in our plan, but it would be next to impossible to have a sustainable trail up there plus I didn't think there was any biking allowed on the trails in Oo Denny Park.

There is a couple who own a home that people use to cut through who are interested in having a better trail for people to use (away from their back windows), but from a biking stand point OO Denny would have to allow bikes on the trails and that would mean working with the OO Denny group.
    Ok thanks for the reply. I've used Holmes Pt. Drive as a way to get extra climbing/miles when I ride St. Eds/Big Finn and have wondered if it's worth hanging a right at OO Denny and trying to ride up into Big Finn through that open space. Figured if it was doable someone would have punched a trail through by now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    There might be a street-end access to a "social" trail to St Ed's at the north end of Holmes Pt Drive before it starts up the ravine, but it dumps onto a hiker-only trail with no inconspicuous way to get to the legal riding trails. Best bet will be the trail described by Kasperilio; it's bikeable both up and down, needs very little work to be a sustainable dual-use trail, if the ownership and OO Denny use issues could be worked out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TFitz View Post
    There might be a street-end access to a "social" trail to St Ed's at the north end of Holmes Pt Drive before it starts up the ravine, but it dumps onto a hiker-only trail with no inconspicuous way to get to the legal riding trails. Best bet will be the trail described by Kasperilio; it's bikeable both up and down, needs very little work to be a sustainable dual-use trail, if the ownership and OO Denny use issues could be worked out.
    Understood. Still a great urban riding spot. No point upsetting the apple cart.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Link update: I've been blithely telling people to go find the adopted trail plan maps on KC Parks' website, but they updated it and made it very hard to find. So, thanks to Dave Kimmett, here is a current link. Big Finn Hill trails

BTW the reroute we've been talking about here happened on the segment between intersections 8 and 22.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The proposal maps show some exciting stuff!! Can't wait to help build a pump track I can take my kids to that is only 15 minutes away from home. That it will be next door to the playground is a huge plus as well.

Thanks to Fitz, flux, and everyone else that continued to work closely with the KC Parks Dept to get the updated trails plan approved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TFitz View Post
    Link update: I've been blithely telling people to go find the adopted trail plan maps on KC Parks' website, but they updated it and made it very hard to find. So, thanks to Dave Kimmett, here is a current link. Big Finn Hill trails

BTW the reroute we've been talking about here happened on the segment between intersections 8 and 22.
    Thanks for linking to the maps. I didn't even realize there's trails over by the school/ball fields. I moved here from SoCal at the beginning of the summer and have been pinballing around in that section between the school area and St. Eds. I didn't realize there's trails over by the school/ball fields. Been trying to put together a "go to" loop for after work/short kitchen pass rides. Now that I've got the maps I'll be able to put something together that links the school area to the middle to the st. eds. trials and back. Ideally I want a solid loop that links all the best trails together so I can just go out and hammer out a ride without having to ding dong around out there (like I have been).

mtbr member
    I might be able to help you with some routes Kelly, let me know if you're up for a ride sometime.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    I might be able to help you with some routes Kelly, let me know if you're up for a ride sometime.
    Thanks for the offer. PM sent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Re: Great work by Evergreen @ Big Finn Hill

I had no idea there were trails on the east side of Juanita drive either, will have to check that out. Looking forward to the area being mapped and signed, I always seem to get lost and never can do the same route twice.

mtbr member
    The most current map is this here I believe:

Big Finn Hill trails
    Tarekith.com