Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Grand Ridge Mud Pit Fix 2/16

This is what we'll be fixing.
    Please sigh up, it's important for planning.
    Evergreen MTB Calendar
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Keep working on the trail and it will end up being that new I-605 that keeps getting planned!

Seriously, that pit being fixed will keep me more in shape because I generally stop on my south-bound journeys just north of there on the flat and wide spot if I am feeling slow and punky. If it's in better shape, I'll not give it another thought. I may still stop before going up the more challenging baby-head hill near the new reroute though.

Does the new reroute avoid that baby-head section or reuse it, Dave?

I think that the clay pit just south of the bog will need some more digging and toter-fulls of rip-rap too.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Baby head section will be closed, there's another section of reroute that bypasses it.
    Fixing the mud south of the bog is a big project better left to WTA.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Awesome news/plan, folks! I rode GR twice this week before work and what a contrast. The first time was frozen so solid I could barely believe it. You could motor straight up everything with frosty-velcro like traction, even this spot. This morning was very good conditions, but the clay spots like this were pretty slimy. I've always made it through here unscathed, but I feel like a few may have been taken by surprise and cross-rut-body slammed.

I am also sheepishly overjoyed to hear that baby head hill will be re-routed. I have had many a desperate scramble up that thing after a hard ride.....

I5Troll
    Map to work site:

Yebo Numzaan

Gr

Quote Originally Posted by dromond View Post
    Awesome news/plan, folks! I rode GR twice this week before work and what a contrast. The first time was frozen so solid I could barely believe it. You could motor straight up everything with frosty-velcro like traction, even this spot. This morning was very good conditions, but the clay spots like this were pretty slimy. I've always made it through here unscathed, but I feel like a few may have been taken by surprise and cross-rut-body slammed.

I am also sheepishly overjoyed to hear that baby head hill will be re-routed. I have had many a desperate scramble up that thing after a hard ride.....
    FYI...i also rode it last week (awesome) but rode it last night and the recent cold and then thaw (and rain) has destroyed the North facing trail down to the big bridge. It was depressing to see the carnage on the trail. Coming back out on that first climb...i had to dismount and walk and even that was a challenge.

The usual muddy spots were the same as they always have been...but i have not seen that entire section of trail in such bad shape since it was first built.

It hasnt rained that much out here in North Bend (until now)...so i assume the melting ice has wreaked havoc.
    I support EMBA

I5Troll
    I know of 10 coming and 8 of those are signed up on the calendar already. Schweeet. So we're adding another clay/mud improvement work site to the list. It's about 0.2 mi north of the 1st worksite... just on the other side of the 1st log bridge.

mtbr member
    Tyler, Art, the duthie King County Parks manager, and if his appt. drops off then Mike, are walking the job Friday Feb 1 and this feels very positive. One of us will report asap of what we agree to tomorrow.

-L

mtbr member
    May 2004
    We're planing on setting up a high line for the clay corner by the bridge. If you've never played with one, you should, they're very cool.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Should be a fun day in the woods. Rocks will fly.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    Mike, Tyler, Art, and King Countys Gregor, and I walked the two projects Friday afternoon. I really appreciate everyones input as this was the sanity check and the numbers are aligning we can do justice to both projects.

We should all in advance thank Gregor for taking on the task to move two truckloads of 4"- rock to the edge of the first project. If anyone is off and has time it would help double his effort if you can run a second toter to cut his expected 6 toting days for this project in half.

If you can help reply to me at gmail and know you are my hero and the county will really appreciate it and our teamwork.

This will provide the main materials we need for this and.while I'm trying to find rocky soil nearby I'm.finding sandy or worse clay soils within 100-200'. Art is building a rock screen (THANKS) so we will use thatt too but if you are coasting this week or next you can really make a difference.

It feels like we have 15+ helpers so far and thanks so much for validating this is a priority. We are likely to offer an afternoon shift to relieve the heavy lifters.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Rode it yesterday, most of the trail is good but the bad areas are really slimy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Consider this my RSVP. I plan on being there Dave. Just look for the blue Mukluk.
    Zip

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm bringing home made cookies, stay tuned for more food details.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Lunch will be provided.

I5Troll
    Lunch, home made cookies, high-line to bring in rock, power toters, 15 people signed up already... it's looking like a blockbuster day. Please sign up here if you can make it:
    Evergreen MTB Calendar

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Most people parking on grand ridge drive then riding in?

I should be able to come down for some help!
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad III

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

"Trying is the first step towards failure"

I5Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy View Post
    Most people parking on grand ridge drive then riding in?
    Park on Harrison before you turn onto Gd Ridge Drive. The main group will be meeting and riding in at 9. Latecomers ride in any time. Tools will already be at the work site. Make sure to pack water, snack, work gloves and boots/solid footwear. It is a real mess and you could be ankle deep in muck. Please sign up on the calendar so we can keep track of everybody for tools and lunch. Evergreen MTB Calendar

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Please don't park on Grand Ridge Drive, it causes problems with the neighbors and pay attention to the no parking area on Harrison.

I5Troll
    Most awesome if folks can bring a few $$ to chip in for lunch. Most-awesome-Len is taking care of the most-awesome lunch.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Not to change the subject, but I worry about GR up top being a parking lot like Trossachs. We get frustrated about what hikers think of mountain bikers, but I think the parking issues really stand out and elevate these frustrations. Harrison street was a mess Sunday afternoon with cars up and down the street and Trossachs is ridiculous on nice weekends. I would be really pissed if I lived in Trossachs and had to deal with everyone on the side of the road. As the houses continue to get built up top and these trails continue to improve at GR, I see a head on collision coming.

BTW, I checked out the RR last weekend and it looks awesome. Thanks for everyone who has been working on it. I would be up there helping this weekend, but am out of town.

I5Troll
    Hopefully the new lot at Duthie will fix most of the parking issues. It's still in the permitting process, but is funded and designed already, so will happen eventually.

I didn't realize a lot of cars are parking on Harrison. Are the lots at Central Park, High Pt Way and Sunset Way filling up on weekends?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sunset fills up, but that is a mix of hikers and bikers. I don't see HP, but ran into a few guys I took down a different route last Sunday that were headed back to that lot. Much more parking at Harrison over Central Park. I usually only see a few cars on the weekends at the ball fields. There were probably at least 8 cars on Harrison on Sunday late afternoon. It is definitely getting worse.

mtbr member
    What is the plan for fixing it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    No idea what the best solution is, but there is plenty of parking at the ball fields and central park, as well as High Point and Sunset. Heck, even the school has a ton of parking. Just have a 5-10 minute single track climb the upper area. Not a huge problem yet, but it is heading that way. I worry more about the perception as we are trying to be advocates and grow the sport and trail network.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast