mtbr member

Grand Ridge Let's Fix This #3 Sunday April 13, 2014

This is followup from the boardwalk construction a couple of years ago.

Just above the 600' boardwalk climbing towards Issaquah are a couple of pockets of clay and the county has prestaged about 15 toter loads (about 1/2 a small dump truck) of rock to remove the clay tread in a climbing corner and "we" will replace it with rock and then we will bind this together with crushed rock and cap with sandy mineral soil from a blind corner just above the project area so hopefully it does not look imported like the boardwalk exit.

We need at least ten people to even begin this makeover on Sunday April 13th. If we get just a few more we can take on roughing in a short reroute through the big rotten cedar.

For more info and to sign up :
    http://evergreenmtb.org/recreation/c...event_id=11820

Thanks for your interest and know we will finish what we start either this day or ASAP the week following.

There are a couple of minor areas just above this but we will save those for fall.
    Last edited by Len.Francies; 04-01-2014 at 09:12 AM.

mtbr member

Re: Grand Ridge Let's Fix This #3 Sunday April 13, 2014

Marketing/fair notice onsite:

mtbr member
    May 2004
    This picture is from a good year, it's usually pure goo. Would love to go but I'll be flying back from NJ that day.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member

This is a specific conditions problem which is the first couple of hours after it starts raining and then this is the slimiest climb in either direction.

Most other times I wonder why to touch this.

I'm so grateful for the rock the county has staged waiting for us...
    Last edited by Len.Francies; 04-10-2014 at 02:05 PM.

mtbr member

KC Parks has done a great job of prepping the worksite.

I'll be roughing in this reroute with two parks staff Saturday and Sunday we will at least get the corner hardened.

We may have to come back one evening to tie in the reroute.

I5Troll
    Another call for help on this one. Help the masters Len and Art if you have some time on Sunday. Evergreen MTB Calendar. We've been walking the new puppy at Gd Ridge almost daily. THOUSANDS of riders using this trail system. Every day, any time of day, no matter what the weather... riders of all styles. The spandex-to-baggy ratio is about equal. Spread the word to your buddies who ride this trail... let's git'r'fixed. Thanks!

Huge thanks Len for organizing this with King County Parks! And for all the hard work!!

mtbr member

Dear Grand Ridge Riders:

On Sunday while we have the corner torn up there will be a 30' walking detour with red cones and signs for plenty of notice.

This will be a one day strava section to make up for messing up your overall time.

I marked the short reroute with "poles" (branches) so still optimistic we will have enough to at least get the new line ready to tie in ASAP. Take a look when you ride by.

King County staff clear the way!

mtbr member

Thank you 15+ helpful folks!
    Last edited by Len.Francies; 04-13-2014 at 09:42 PM.

mtbr member

If you are riding Grand Ridge and happen to be pedaling by Monday afternoon 4/21 you'll find a small seasoned team of us hardening the end of the short reroute that was put into service "after hours" last Sunday.

Don't be shocked if we ask for your help pushing a load of rock or two in a wheelbarrow for cross training. Say Hi to "Tiger Tyler" and "Colonnade Art" as you roll through.

We the (should be) committed will arrive at 2 and will quit asap or dark so just a little token push and we will be very grateful.

So go for a ride @ GR Monday please!

mtbr member

Thanks Tyler and Kevin for the much needed help to finish the reroute. We could not have finished today without your help.

Thanks Mike for getting Art and I out of Duthie at 9pm (after your Beacon meeting!).

Rain started about 7:30 so it was a perfect finish to this project.

We will come back in the Fall for a couple of fixes up and down from this site and there is enough rock staged here to take care of these small future work sites.

Enjoy Grand Ridge and Be Excellent to Each Other.

EMBA Member
    Oct 2006
    My Student League team had practice there on Sunday and it was perfect, couple of mucky spots, but over all it was fantastic. Thanks for the hard work!

Any idea when that snag hanging in the tree will be taken out? Not that I mind the reroute, but I see people ignore the signs because they can't figure out why the reroute is there.

mtbr member
    Just want to give a MASSIVE SHOUT OUT to Len and crews who are doing such fine work on Grand Ridge. Really really solid improvements!!!!! thanks to all involved!

mtbr member

I should clarify the limited scope of our Evergreen specific contributions.

WTA built the trail over 10 years time including the 600' boardwalk that changed a 15 min mud crossing to a 30 sec isn't this beautiful wetland wonderland. All this with incredible county support.

We showed up Feb 16 2013 and transformed a clay pit and approaches and exits to something we have all but forgotten. We buried 20 loads of county provided rock and supplemented with solid onsite materials.

We showed up again mar 17 2013 and finished hardening the clay corner with more local site materials the rock masters had started the previous event.

This year we took on the next slimiest area just above the bog and buried two layers of softball sized rocks (county delivered) and filled in the cracks and stabilized with "shot rock" a superfine powder from explosives instead of crushing the rock.

We tried to hide this with local stony "Duthie Gold" dirt just above this 3rd clay area.

So everything else on grand ridge trail (7+ miles) I must defer to WTA and good on them and the county. The issues I've reported this winter were rock base related. The county was out of money and bigger rock at year end finishing the excellent reroute. When the county ran out of big rock there were still WTA events on the books and WTA gets 20 volunteers per event (hint) and they turned over good dirt without rock to support it. We all have ack'd rock must support mush.

So a new day dawns where county and WTA and evergreen share the support of this always open trail with the concept to not till the trail without (buried/hidden) rock support.

I have no idea when the widowmaker will be removed and surely seems like it should have been addressed.

Will ask....

Finally I don't always agree with my own team including DaveS but know he (and "they") are standing in the mud beside you and I at every moment and towards 24/7/365 access to one trail 20-30 mins from 2+ million people in a reputedly wet part of the united states.

Props appreciated for our modest efforts. My vote is WTA did pretty good and I need to continue to thank them for years of work resulting in a very short list of suggestions.

Next year hopefully your continued support here.
    Last edited by Len.Francies; 04-22-2014 at 10:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the hard work making the trail great. Pretty amazing how well it holds up in the rain.

mtbr member

The County will take on that widow maker next week and may reroute around it. (Opportunity knocks) we have a viable idea but will cost us another weekend to bypass...

Of import to our group is next weekend, I think its Saturday may 3rd, there is a foot race on gr so avoid or be prepared to mix it up with Marathoners and even 50k (32 milers), You know: crazy people (like us) without bikes!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Haven't seen it posted anywhere, but there is a very large tree down south of GR Drive just past the bridge laying across the trail. One of the sawyers should have fun with this it isn't very far from the GR drive road intersection. Maybe 1/4 mile south.

mtbr member

Yep. The Park manager mentioned it Friday afternoon just before I headed to the trail (i did not understand that it was not removed or exactly where) and yep that's a fair sized tree. At least its just at the beginning of the descent so not a safety hazard at the moment.

It should be gone by next weekend.

mtbr member

The county sawyers removed the tree blocking this monday morning 4/28.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Great news! Thanks for the update.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Big thanks to Art, Len and crew, rode it today and it's great.
    All blow downs clear.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.