mtbr member

Grand Ridge GoPro Good Guys video project

In the spirit of witnessing and sharing the truth of what we see and a few times handing the camera to the walkers I am shopping for the first time for a go pro setup.

For this to work I need to cheat a little and will talk to a few walkers asking them to film me going by to share their perspective.

Any of you hero's have any good stuff I'm hoping to have a you tube channel for subject topic.

No promises pro or con but hoping to cut the footage down to just the interactions with periods of raging fun and again bird chirping happy golden retriever tail wagging good times for all as example but I am nervous as I know a basic truth.

Its easy to be courteous on a climb.

So nothing more for a few weeks but this leak is my response to at least carbonguy's and westwardho's threads suggesting there is some nag out there for grand ridge walkers.

Let's see what it looks like....

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    For that purpose this might be better:

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/HX-A500H

Plus 4K 30P with image stabilization.
    Rolland

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I don't want this thread to turn into ammo for the anti-mtber crowd but I'm kinda worried as to what we'd see if the hikers on grand ridge were carrying cameras. I've seen bad behavior on and off my bike. Personal experience here, so take it with a grain of salt, but if you're wearing spandex on a $7k carbon bike you can still take the time to say hi to people and stop for hikers. I know your version of mountain biking is serious biz but mine ain't and we all gotta share.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well now you've turned it into ammo for the anti-spandex/XC race bike crowd ;-)

My rule of thumb is, if you don't have time to tell the dog-walkers what a nice dog they have, ask what breed it is, and hear the answer, you're going too fast.

mtbr member

Re: Grand Ridge GoPro Good Guys video project

I was promptly reminded by my better half who tracked down a class reunion photographer at least 10 years ago to remove her name from photos with her searchable name.

Will keep faces etc off the internet and save up for evergreen and county dialogue.
    Last edited by paleo; 07-18-2014 at 11:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    "My rule of thumb is, if you don't have time to tell the dog-walkers what a nice dog they have, ask what breed it is, and hear the answer, you're going too fast." Well put, and this would make a nice "mantra" for mountain biking in general.
    TOM
    USA Cycling Certified Coach

www.tomsbicycleblog.blogspot.com

2014 SW Epic WC
    2012 SW Epic
    2014 SW Tarmac SL4

mtbr member

Re: Grand Ridge GoPro Good Guys video project

My first foray downhill with video evidence came upon a walker and Brittany pup she was trying to gather based on the thunder coming down from above in the lower exit region of a corner.

I stopped at the top entrance of the corner saying hi and told her I would wait for her to climb up past me. She insisted I come past and I swear she winked but the handle bar mount did not capture that when I reviewed it this evening.

There were several local dog walkers on the trail below central park where I go up from sunset way. One local said he is on the trail all the time and has never had a problem with any bike as he can hear us a mile away which is what I saw with the Brittany example on my way down. I'm scaling back my personal and commi alarm from widespread concern to unavoidable humans all having a bad day.

I'm cautiously optimistic but I'll keep riding and filming.

In Russia drivers have dash cameras in their cars for accidents to prove who was wrong and avoid police corruption. Hope this doesn't promote or suggest anyone is doing anything on gr that warrants but for reference in case you are not aware of this practice:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dashcam