mtbr member
    May 2004

Grand Ridge Clean Up

I hear it's bad so I'll post a work party next Sunday. If some one gets out there and can let me know how bad it is that would be great. If you see any downed cedar let me know so I can tell the county.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Posted for Saturday
    Evergreen MTB Calendar
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    I was up there yesterday hiked in from Grand Ridge drive down to the South Pond - Grand ridge trail intersection. Mostly small stuff that I could clear with a rake or by hand. Bigger cedar branches that I still could clear by hand but would have been easier to cut up with a chain saw first. some trail runners said that it was worse north of Grand Ridge drive as it started going down hill. Didn't get if it was chainsaw bad or just more of the stuff that could be cleared by hand. I have some pictures but can't figure out how to post them.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Please keep in mind that only county people or those certified by the county can use chain saws.

Mark check your PMs

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Blowing nicely right now.... Let me know where the big stuff is so I can tell the county.
    Pictures would be nice so they have some idea how much work there is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I looked north of grand ridge drive today but didn't get far. Lots of big and medium stuff down...
    took some poor quality pictures from the trail... hope they're helpful. Must have been a bad place to be and hopefully not too much more damage tonight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grand Ridge Clean Up-untitled.jpg  

Grand Ridge Clean Up-trail2.jpg  

Grand Ridge Clean Up-trail3.jpg  

Grand Ridge Clean Up-trail4.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the pics.

mtbr member
    May 2004

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Almost all the trails between I90 and Grand Ridge Dr are fully cleared, I cleaned up the one below the power-lines today and had to look hard for more stuff to clean/cut up on the climb back up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I90 up Grand Ridge is rideable but there is one tree, 18" or so and 60-80' tall, leaning over the trail, supported by a couple other trees, that if the wind blows some more, I would never go under it again. It is just south of the Central Park/Grand Ridge junction. A King County crew is out there now, clearing the other two or three new blowdowns between there and Grand Ridge Drive that I saw (PM me for pictures--I'll email them to you if you care) and had to crawl under or climb over. I don't think that they have the equipment with them to remove the dangerous tree, but I am sure they are now aware of it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the update,

mtbr member
    May 2004
    3 of us went north from Grand Ridge Drive. Mostly we raked then found some blow downs to cut. I think now the trail is clear of blowdown just need to do more raking.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    All blow downs have been cleared. Please wait a few days after a big rain before riding so the trail has a chance to dry out.

mtbr member
    May 2004

mtbr member
    got in a quick ride out on the ridge yesterday. trails were clear and pretty dry considering. thanks to all those that helped clean up. i for one aprreciate your efforts. and by the way will the county arrest me for taking out blowdown with a handsaw?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Saw away.... just don't hurt yourself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Rode GR today on the south side and it was just about as good as it gets. Only one mud spot all the way down and incredible traction. Thanks to everyone who cleared the trails, it was fantastic today.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Best shape I've ever seen it this time of year. Strong east winds expected Monday and Monday night.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Trails are in amazing shape, especially considering how they looked last week! Incredible work out there.