Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Grand Ridge Blowdowns

It's been windy, let me know about any trees that came down. Pictures, location and description. It help the parks crew to know what to expect so they can bring the right tools.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Grand Ridge Blowdowns-map.jpgGrand Ridge Blowdowns-trees.jpg
    I saw this one today, blue dot's about where the trees were I think but could have been a bit lower down the hill...
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_schuldt View Post
    It's been windy, let me know about any trees that came down. Pictures, location and description. It help the parks crew to know what to expect so they can bring the right tools.

EMBA Member
    Sept 25 going south past the third bridge maybe half way from the third bridge to the top of that climb. Wheels are 29".

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-grand-ridge-tree-down-9-25-.jpg

X marks the spot.

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-grand-ridge-tree-location-9.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grand Ridge Blowdowns-grand-ridge-tree-location-9.jpg  

mtbr member
    Well documented brothers!

Dave's going to tell the county so by the weekend these should be gone and Grand Ridge locals will make sure ;-)

Carl and H you guys are my heroes out there but let's give the county a chance.

EMBA Member
    I dragged and rolled a lot of stuff off the trail this morning. This remains to report. 29" wheels.

Going south from Issaquah/Fall City road, maybe 100 yards south of the Mike O bridge.

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-grand-ridge-1.jpg

Further south about 1/4 mile before the middle bridge.

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-grand-ridge-2.jpg

At Grand Ridge Drive, a tree came down right next to the sign. The post is fine, and the sign itself looks like it can be reattached with a couple wood screws.

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-grand-ridge-3.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Melvin is getting out o get the Duthie ones in a few so those will be cleared.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks!
    If we get the wind that's forecast tonight I may organize a rolling clean up Saturday.
    I'll send this link to Parks so keep the info coming.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    County was at Duthie and will hit GR tomorrow.

mtbr member
    51 mph about 5pm recorded @ GR Sunday per 11pm news. Good time to not be in the woods.
    Last edited by paleo; 09-30-2013 at 01:03 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Note from county

We really really appreciate the photos and fast emails.
    Will be out 1st thing in morning to take care of.

All of us were out today about way between the boardwalk and the 40 bridge falling some dead snags, including a very dangerous hemlock that staff spotted late yesterday, that was hung up above the trail. Total of 6 hazardous trees removed.

I've posted a work party for 11/9 and WTA will be there in December.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah, the county's response was to my email about a tree down north of the northern end of the rerouted trail.
    Grand Ridge Blowdowns-wp_20131003_002.jpg

My hand saw was not quite up to the task of tackling that plus it is suspended with an unknown amount of tension. I limbed it so it is easy to get over it, but like I said, no go for this non-sawyer wussy guy.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

EMBA Member
    Going south from Mike O bridge, past first climb, past that log roll-over thing maybe 200 - 300 yards is this. Well before you'd get to the middle bridge.

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-grand-ridge-tree10-4-2013.jpg

mtbr member

Re: Grand Ridge Blowdowns

Plan to pedal through best wx day next week with an 18" pruning handsaw. That big one kinda almost looks rideable so thinking just trim off that little fang on the elevated piece unless I'm wrong.

DR I'm not clear which is the "rerouted" trail? If its along the route SeattleDL excellently provided I'll stumble into it cause that's my route.

My early oct. Weekend does not include tamarack pines aka golden larches. If yours does please share photos.

Middlefork Saturday getting in the last lap of the year before Nov. 1st. Helping Graham at Tiger silent swamp Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The rerouted (not yet officially open though) trail is north of the Grand Ridge Drive crossing. On the google earth map I attached, you can see the old trail as the gray line and the new trail deviates quite a distance to the south while it tends to traverse the hill there instead of going straight up the old road bed that the trail uses. It then crosses the old, main trail to the north side and avoids the rest of the baby-head gully with some nice tread and a couple of switchbacks back down to the main trail again.

The tie-ins to the main trail are not done yet, but the southern section is pretty obvious. It's easy to miss the northern one heading south though.
    Grand Ridge Blowdowns-rerouted-grand-ridge-trail.jpg
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

EMBA Member
    Paleo, I think the location of DR's tree is about where we met up a week ago. As of yesterday evening, the trail from I-90 to the Mike O bridge was clear excepting the tree I posted above. I ride the old trail, not the re-route.

mtbr member
    Oh THAT reroute!

mtbr member

Re: Grand Ridge Blowdowns

FB that chunk of junk was dispatched today. Thanks anonymous rider who helped us tip it out of the way.

DRS on the reroute that sprung twig was already gone and did not notice where it had been so twimc good work!

For All: Dave has some upcoming dirt work. We are charting towards a Sat. 11-9 draining of "Lake Blaise" which is just above the middle bridge in a flat area. This area was 6" deep during the storm two Sundays ago. Not terrible today but it needs help. The WTA built and named it. We will fix it. Note it will take two or three smaller events for this fix to take effect.

If you are not making history at Tiger that day consider giving us a hand.

EMBA Member
    Amazing but true. No trees down across the trail this morning. I saw a couple smaller partial obstructions as I was riding south, and I'd intended to clear them with my hand saw on the return trip north, but by the time I went back, they had been cleared. I saw Dave S riding out there so I'm sure he deserves the credit. Thanks Dave!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks to the guys that stopped to help on the 1 blocking blowdown. Surprised at how few there were considering I heard that people lost shingles in the Highlands. Keep in mind that those small blow downs can be under tension. I heard about a Forest Service contractor who need $120,000 worth of facial reconstruction after an 8" alder snapped on him.

Whoever is digging those huge drainage trenches needs to stop. What they are draining is low priority and if some one puts a foot down in the wrong place they're going all the way over.

WTA is scheduled 12/10 -12/28 to connect all 4 ends of the reroute. December is a time of low turn out, so please do what you can to show for at least one. It's better that shooting each other over parking spaces at Bellevue Square.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_schuldt View Post
    Whoever is digging those huge drainage trenches needs to stop. What they are draining is low priority and if some one puts a foot down in the wrong place they're going all the way over.
    Where is this happening, Dave? It's been a month since I was up and over Grand Ridge and I don't recall seeing any new digging happening then.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just north of GR Drive. Also some substandard work on the muddy section up from the bog. I don't think it the county guys.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    When I rode it on October 3rd, the county crew was out brushing and blowing the northern end of the trail. I didn't see any digging happening, except the normal drains being cleared. I didn't see them working above the top bridge either, at least on that day.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    The clay trench work was down to the boardwalk was between last Sunday and friday 11/1.

I can appreciate the experiment to cover the clay with dirt and suggest you toss in a few buckets of rock especially in historically wet November.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Are there still blow downs from the wind storm, or has someone taking care of it. If there is I live close and could come take care of them. Let me know.

mtbr member
    Good for now. Thanks for offer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast