Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Grand Ridge Blowdowns

It's been windy, let me know about any trees that came down. Pictures, location and description. It help the parks crew to know what to expect so they can bring the right tools.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Grand Ridge Blowdowns-map.jpgGrand Ridge Blowdowns-trees.jpg
    I saw this one today, blue dot's about where the trees were I think but could have been a bit lower down the hill...
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_schuldt View Post
    It's been windy, let me know about any trees that came down. Pictures, location and description. It help the parks crew to know what to expect so they can bring the right tools.

EMBA Member
    Sept 25 going south past the third bridge maybe half way from the third bridge to the top of that climb. Wheels are 29".

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-grand-ridge-tree-down-9-25-.jpg

X marks the spot.

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-grand-ridge-tree-location-9.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grand Ridge Blowdowns-grand-ridge-tree-location-9.jpg  

mtbr member
    Well documented brothers!

Dave's going to tell the county so by the weekend these should be gone and Grand Ridge locals will make sure ;-)

Carl and H you guys are my heroes out there but let's give the county a chance.

EMBA Member
    I dragged and rolled a lot of stuff off the trail this morning. This remains to report. 29" wheels.

Going south from Issaquah/Fall City road, maybe 100 yards south of the Mike O bridge.

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-grand-ridge-1.jpg

Further south about 1/4 mile before the middle bridge.

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-grand-ridge-2.jpg

At Grand Ridge Drive, a tree came down right next to the sign. The post is fine, and the sign itself looks like it can be reattached with a couple wood screws.

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-grand-ridge-3.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Melvin is getting out o get the Duthie ones in a few so those will be cleared.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks!
    If we get the wind that's forecast tonight I may organize a rolling clean up Saturday.
    I'll send this link to Parks so keep the info coming.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    County was at Duthie and will hit GR tomorrow.

mtbr member
    51 mph about 5pm recorded @ GR Sunday per 11pm news. Good time to not be in the woods.
    Last edited by paleo; 09-30-2013 at 01:03 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Note from county

We really really appreciate the photos and fast emails.
    Will be out 1st thing in morning to take care of.

All of us were out today about ½ way between the boardwalk and the 40’ bridge falling some dead snags, including a very dangerous hemlock that staff spotted late yesterday, that was hung up above the trail. Total of 6 hazardous trees removed.

I've posted a work party for 11/9 and WTA will be there in December.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah, the county's response was to my email about a tree down north of the northern end of the rerouted trail.
    Grand Ridge Blowdowns-wp_20131003_002.jpg

My hand saw was not quite up to the task of tackling that plus it is suspended with an unknown amount of tension. I limbed it so it is easy to get over it, but like I said, no go for this non-sawyer wussy guy.

EMBA Member
    Going south from Mike O bridge, past first climb, past that log roll-over thing maybe 200 - 300 yards is this. Well before you'd get to the middle bridge.

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-grand-ridge-tree10-4-2013.jpg

mtbr member

Re: Grand Ridge Blowdowns

Plan to pedal through best wx day next week with an 18" pruning handsaw. That big one kinda almost looks rideable so thinking just trim off that little fang on the elevated piece unless I'm wrong.

DR I'm not clear which is the "rerouted" trail? If its along the route SeattleDL excellently provided I'll stumble into it cause that's my route.

My early oct. Weekend does not include tamarack pines aka golden larches. If yours does please share photos.

Middlefork Saturday getting in the last lap of the year before Nov. 1st. Helping Graham at Tiger silent swamp Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The rerouted (not yet officially open though) trail is north of the Grand Ridge Drive crossing. On the google earth map I attached, you can see the old trail as the gray line and the new trail deviates quite a distance to the south while it tends to traverse the hill there instead of going straight up the old road bed that the trail uses. It then crosses the old, main trail to the north side and avoids the rest of the baby-head gully with some nice tread and a couple of switchbacks back down to the main trail again.

The tie-ins to the main trail are not done yet, but the southern section is pretty obvious. It's easy to miss the northern one heading south though.
    Grand Ridge Blowdowns-rerouted-grand-ridge-trail.jpg

EMBA Member
    Paleo, I think the location of DR's tree is about where we met up a week ago. As of yesterday evening, the trail from I-90 to the Mike O bridge was clear excepting the tree I posted above. I ride the old trail, not the re-route.

mtbr member
    Oh THAT reroute!

mtbr member

FB that chunk of junk was dispatched today. Thanks anonymous rider who helped us tip it out of the way.

DRS on the reroute that sprung twig was already gone and did not notice where it had been so twimc good work!

For All: Dave has some upcoming dirt work. We are charting towards a Sat. 11-9 draining of "Lake Blaise" which is just above the middle bridge in a flat area. This area was 6" deep during the storm two Sundays ago. Not terrible today but it needs help. The WTA built and named it. We will fix it. Note it will take two or three smaller events for this fix to take effect.

If you are not making history at Tiger that day consider giving us a hand.

EMBA Member
    Amazing but true. No trees down across the trail this morning. I saw a couple smaller partial obstructions as I was riding south, and I'd intended to clear them with my hand saw on the return trip north, but by the time I went back, they had been cleared. I saw Dave S riding out there so I'm sure he deserves the credit. Thanks Dave!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks to the guys that stopped to help on the 1 blocking blowdown. Surprised at how few there were considering I heard that people lost shingles in the Highlands. Keep in mind that those small blow downs can be under tension. I heard about a Forest Service contractor who need $120,000 worth of facial reconstruction after an 8" alder snapped on him.

Whoever is digging those huge drainage trenches needs to stop. What they are draining is low priority and if some one puts a foot down in the wrong place they're going all the way over.

WTA is scheduled 12/10 -12/28 to connect all 4 ends of the reroute. December is a time of low turn out, so please do what you can to show for at least one. It's better that shooting each other over parking spaces at Bellevue Square.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_schuldt View Post
    Whoever is digging those huge drainage trenches needs to stop. What they are draining is low priority and if some one puts a foot down in the wrong place they're going all the way over.
    Where is this happening, Dave? It's been a month since I was up and over Grand Ridge and I don't recall seeing any new digging happening then.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just north of GR Drive. Also some substandard work on the muddy section up from the bog. I don't think it the county guys.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    When I rode it on October 3rd, the county crew was out brushing and blowing the northern end of the trail. I didn't see any digging happening, except the normal drains being cleared. I didn't see them working above the top bridge either, at least on that day.

mtbr member
    The clay trench work was down to the boardwalk was between last Sunday and friday 11/1.

I can appreciate the experiment to cover the clay with dirt and suggest you toss in a few buckets of rock especially in historically wet November.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Are there still blow downs from the wind storm, or has someone taking care of it. If there is I live close and could come take care of them. Let me know.

mtbr member
    Good for now. Thanks for offer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Trail is in great shape, thanks to all the hard work being done out there. Lots of riders enjoying it today!

One big tree down over the new offshoot...Grand Ridge Blowdowns-downtree.jpgGrand Ridge Blowdowns-treedown.jpg

EMBA Member
    I've noticed this before. Maybe not a concern because it is hung up in the adjacent tree pretty well, but it would come down right on the trail if it got loose. It looks like it's been leaning for quite a while, so like I said, maybe nothing to be concerned about.

Going south, past the third bridge, top of climb there are 3 - 4 flats followed with short climbs before you start back down. At the top of the last little hill, this tree is mostly broken at the base and leaning into another tree.

Here's the broken part

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-p1010117-small.jpg

And this shows it leaning toward the trail with some of the trail you may recognize. The broken tree looks like it is coming out of that old stump from this perspective.

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-p1010121-small.jpg

Btw, great improvement to the trail from the recent work. That corner is 1,000% improved from what it used to be. Hardly any mucky spots the entire length of the trail now even after the recent rains. Thanks!

EMBA Member
    50 yards south of the Mike O bridge

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-1.jpg

300 yards farther south

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-2.jpg

Continuing south, near the top of the big climb (past the third bridge)

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-3.jpg

Not far north of Grand Ridge Drive.

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-4.jpg

At Grand Ridge Drive

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-5.jpg

South of Grand Ridge Drive, north of the Y where left goes down to I90 and right heads toward central park, and eventually down to I90

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-6.jpg

The east ride down to I90 is clear, the west ride up from I90 has a 6" - 8" tree down most of the way up to Central Park, and another tree down, 8" - 10" down right before the Y I mentioned before. It started raining pretty hard, so I didn't stop to take pictures.

I dragged a lot of blow down off the trail. Lots of people out riding and walking today. Saw a couple people with backpack blowers cleaning off the Mike O bridge. Nice!

Edit - just remembered another one north of Grand Ridge Drive before the re-route section - maybe 10" or so. No picture.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You think it's worth it to bring the folding saw? I'm gonna head up there in an hour or so...

EMBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WestwardHo View Post
    You think it's worth it to bring the folding saw? I'm gonna head up there in an hour or so...
    The only thing I'd have done with my folding saw, if I'd have had it, is the big tree north of grand ridge drive can be ridden under, except there are a couple stubs sticking down that could impale someone. Maybe take a minute to cut them off.

mtbr member
    We rode GR early this morning and we cleared everything a 10" folding saw could handle, plus a few a tad too big for it but rotten enough to get to snap. Most of what is left is either minor clean up or chainsaw worthy.
    13 SJ Evo, 14 Aurum, 14 Fatboy, 15 P.3

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Email sent to county.

mtbr member

Rob and Brett will have a great time with that little batch. Tell them we said hi and good work bike buddies getting the word out and doing what you can with handsaws which were my original sin. Even King County are Sawvengers!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    King County was out there today doing their usual great clearing job. As of mid-day, the biggest issue are the five trees piled across the trail like Pick-up Stix (third photo down in Ladmo's post). It's a bit of a pain, but it's really not that bad. I found that going uphill from the trail was the easiest way through.

I don't remember another downed tree from that point all the way to Issaquah-Fall City Road. Given the recent heavy rains, the trails are in surprisingly good condtion.
    TOM
    USA Cycling Certified Coach

www.tomsbicycleblog.blogspot.com

2014 SW Epic WC
    2012 SW Epic
    2014 SW Tarmac SL4

mtbr member

Well it is Cyclecross season so what's a stack of lumber in the trail ? :-)

Yours were great photos and report Ladmo. You included your Bike in your photos for sizing and we Tools can tell big from little wheels which helps the followup crew's tool and fuel planning.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Great job clearing the blow downs! There is one more I came across yesterday on the South Side. Just past the little creek crossing (between the pond exit above the fields and the fork to go back up to the fields). I think it could be taken down with a hand saw. I don't have one or I would have handled it yesterday.

mtbr member

County sent a few of us photos of our county employed heroes riding two bikes with a saw on one. Seems like a good idea. Not sure if they found the last one but this productivity efficiency step surely warms my fuzzy chest.

Next we will try to help guide our USFS friends to hire skilled riders who won't injure themselves with a 15-30 lb saw pack :-)
    Last edited by paleo; 11-01-2014 at 12:29 AM.

EMBA Member
    Thought I saw a comment in a thread recently that GR is clear, and since there has been good weather the past couple days, I left my saw in the truck.

Oops. These were down tonight.

Both of these could be easily removed with a decent hand saw. #1 is maybe 6", and number 2 is around 8".

Besides that, saw a couple other riders, some runners and walkers, and nothing but great riding conditions, well, except maybe the thick fog. Funny how the lights reflect off the suspended water droplets. Sometimes, I find myself watching how the dropets move in the light instead of watch the trail. Gotta stop doing that.

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-grand-ridge-trees-down.jpg

mtbr member

Grand Ridge Blowdowns

Keep doing what you are doing Ladmo with helpful info and anyone can tell you have a genuine pledge to help when and where you can. (Tip of the hat!)

The very first people I rode with had handsaws and they still ride with them.

Let's all salute Ladmo and others who make packing any saw look easy....

EMBA Member
    X marks the spot from this evening. 29" wheels. Maybe 250 yards east of that little stream crossing that is west of the south pond trailhead.

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-20151119_181246-small.jpg

Grand Ridge Blowdowns-grandridge-tree-11-1-15.jpg

mtbr member
    Hi folks. Rode GR yesterday RT from duthie to high point. Trail in surprisingly good shape. Big thanks to graham for the work he did in the spring on a few trouble spots.

2 downs between the boardwalk and first bridge. I carved the one blocking but just limbed the other one as you can pass around it.

Of more importance is a large one on the switchbacks down to high point. It's a blind corner and a real danger. It's going to take a 2 cycle or a big handsaw with a lot of elbow grease and patience. I crossed some branches waist height before the turn as a warning, but those won't last. Also pulled some branches across the trail as speed bumps, but it's just a bad spot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I rode GR yesterday as well. There is also a tree down on the west trail on the south side of GR, but it is not difficult to deal with. I will email KCP a report on the switchback tree.
    TOM

2014 SW Epic WC
    2012 SW Epic
    2014 SW Tarmac SL4

mtbr member
    When you talk to or otherwise communicate with kcp you guys sound sensitive of their union shop mentality.

So as a pioneer and defender of access I would encourage you to remind Parks there are folks on your team who are usfs certified bucking instructors and even have felling certs very rare but same instructor as their staff Ken L. from Wisconsin....

If they get behind we can offer assistance.

They know my name feel free to toss it about.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Len, just like breaks, I stop and do what I can on the trails when I encounter obstacles. The KCP crew appreciates hearing about issues, as does DNR. I am sure that KCP would love to discuss how you might be able to contribute. You could send an email to this address to get the discussion started: gary.brown@kingcounty.gov
    TOM

2014 SW Epic WC
    2012 SW Epic
    2014 SW Tarmac SL4

mtbr member
    Is there a to-do item here for you or Parks?

I think I'm good hopping out of bed each Sunday at 5am volunteering 8 hard labor hours (+2 travel) until dark to keep TWO excavators moving towards a common goal on adjacent lands since August supporting the mission I am wholly committed to at 57 years old. (What one man tool in our region can help an excavator move forward?)

Shucks I guess I don't have anything left to give to anything except what I choose to volunteer for unless you have a better idea.

Hope our land manager heroes are also doing all you expect them to keep kc Parks trails cleared of winter wind down fun.

I can't wait to see how you help them find their way as they have to get up Monday through Friday for you.
    Last edited by Len.Francies; 12-15-2015 at 01:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Len, I must admit that I really have no idea what you are talking about. I've gotten to know the KCP crew while out riding, and they are great people.

Grand Ridge, Duthie, and Soaring Eagle are part of the King County Park system. I try to help them out by letting them know when there are problems on the trails.
    TOM

2014 SW Epic WC
    2012 SW Epic
    2014 SW Tarmac SL4

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    It's Len-speak. Let's translate:

1. Len is totally kicking ass up on Ollalie and does not have any time left to help out in KCP. He's been up there virtually every weekend since middle of summer. Plus his work out on the middle fork. Way to go Len!

2. He hopes that you continue to work the the KCP crew and thanks very much for helping out!

I should be out riding
    Google needs to create a Len-speak translator.

Plus, he's led 1 or more certification sessions this fall, thus there are a number of people who could help at GR & elsewhere, should KCP get off their 'only parks staff can use power tools' policy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    It's Len-speak. Let's translate:

1. Len is totally kicking ass up on Ollalie and does not have any time left to help out in KCP. He's been up there virtually every weekend since middle of summer. Plus his work out on the middle fork. Way to go Len!

2. He hopes that you continue to work the the KCP crew and thanks very much for helping out!

Brian, you're hired. That is a perfect translation AFAIK of what Len was saying.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    should KCP get off their 'only parks staff can use power tools' policy.
    Are power tools the only problem? I.e., if you had a sawyer and an old school saw, would KCP let that happen?
    Rolland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast