Thread: Grand Ridge?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Grand Ridge?

Hey everyone,

I'm going to school in Seattle, but have a chance to catch a ride out to Grand Ridge in Issaquah tomorrow. I read the Evergreen mtb Alliance page about it, and it seems like a suitable ride for me, but I have a few questions for any of you who are familiar with it.

Is it going to be dangerously icy?

Looking at the map, it looks like the ride is an out-and-back, and fairly strenuous. If I have four hours to ride, at moderate pace, how far should I expect to get? Is it heinously hard to get from Grand Ridge to Duthie's xc loop and back?

Will there be other riders around that I could latch onto/ask for directions if need be?

Any recomendations for a post-ride location to eat lunch/wait to be picked up?

Thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    You will be just fine. I Promise if you dress for frozen success.

Dirt and traction s great unless you start very early then its the
    streets and concrete to watch for. Any trail bridges should be considered slippery until mid July.

It's about an hour and fifteen minutes to duthie from sunset way.beware the climbs are harder going back so don't use up your battery in the duthie amusement park.

You will be just fine!

Cat Herder
    I just rode there today. It's in great shape! It's pretty well frozen, so the traction is very good. There are a couple of slippery corners, but again, nothing extreme. There aren't any standing sheets of ice anywhere.
    Have fun!
    Eat. Ride. Sleep. Repeat

mtbr member
    At a slow to moderate pace you can go all the way from I-90 to Duthie, do a lap there and ride back in about 3 hours. I think that's roughly 14-15 miles. It's a bit of climbing for sure, but if you go slow it's not so bad. The downhills are worth it IMO, and you end with a good one no matter which direction you go.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You don't need a ride, take bus #554 to downtown Issaquah. Bring plenty of food and water. Hit it before it gets muddy again.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Wow, thanks for the info guys! Sounds like the trail conditions will be pretty good. It'll be great to get back on the mountain.

Duly noted on the bus route, I'll take advantage of that when I don't get so lucky with the rides.

EMBA Member
    Once on the trail, there are very few places to turn off, so if you have a choice to make when on the trail, if you always choose the more ridden trail, you'll be fine. I ride out there all the time this time of year including nights, and even recently with the colder nights, I usually see others on the trail, so you should have people to ask if you are not sure. During the day time, there are always other riders out there. When heading north after you cross Grand Ridge Drive (the only street you'll cross) you go up a little, then down, then hard left at the bottom of the hill (watch speed on the down hill. I occasionally see skid marks going into the bushes at the bottom of this hill for people that didn't make the turn), then slight up. There is a place in maybe 1/4 mile where the trail goes straight but there is also a turn that Y's off to the right. Take the Y to the right. Besides that one turn, you should be fine the whole way. Lately the traction has been really good. Even the sloppy uphill spots can be cleared with no trouble. For me, the complete ride I90 to Duthie and back is all I need to be pretty tired by the end. The climb heading south seems tougher, especially the stretch from bridge 3 to the top headed south. I'm always happy when I get to the top of that section.

mtbr member
    Did a ride out there yesterday nice and frozen very little mud. Even the slippery clay pit north of Grand Ridge drive was frozen and dry.Two weeks ago a buddy of mine and I ran into a couple guys from the county and they said to try out the new re-route. We didn't have time then so I did it yesterday. Not bad, a little narrow in some spots but should be cool after getting used to it. I'm going to miss the old school down the fall line part of the trail that it will cut out though. That is one of the few parts that are left over form the old network of the late 80's.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Too narrow? Usually people complain about WTA trails being too wide!
    Don't forget we'll be there Tue - Sat next week should have both sections of reroute hooked up.
    Trail Work Parties Sign up closes a few days before, they don't take drop ins.
    We're talking about fixing the clay pit on Saturday 2/16, notice will be posted when the date is official.
    Another great day out there, nice too meet you Kab.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Pics from yesterday

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hey everyone, just thought I'd check in to tell you that the ride went great, and the conditions were amazing! I met another rider on the way out who rode with me and gave me some pointers on the trail, which was really nice. I rode the Grand Ridge trail out to Duthie, and rode most of the xc trails there.

It was rad riding around the Duthie Bike park, even the xc trails were great. The berms in Bootcamp were a blast. I have some pictures to post, but MTBR won't let me! Oh well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Dont forget to check out the all star trail work party in mid feb. Thanks for setting it up Dave, I'll be there with Toter-Madness and Frankintoter (The names of the toters) if you need them, plus what ever else you need.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It seems like conditions in the mountains are putting people back on their bikes, G.R. got plenty of use this weekend.
    The thing that I noticed most (other than my loss of bike fitness) was all of the great attitudes from everyone I encountered. Refreshing, to say the least.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Work party on Saturday is full. If you want to go call the office as someone may have canceled.