Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Good tires for PNW trails?

My used Trance X3 came with a rear Conti Trail King with the middle of the tread pattern worn down, and so I'm looking for a new tire to replace it with. I'll be riding Duthie and Tapeworm so no crazy downhills, just singletrack and XC. I have 26s.

mtbr member
    I ran Trail Kings for a bit and recently switched to a Hans Dampf/Nobby Nic combo. I LOVE the TKs, and I'm really loving the Schwalbe tires too. I will switch back to the TKs when my Schwalbe tires wear out.

I think the Trail Kings and the Hans Dampfs are ideal for our area. The Nobby Nics are great too and a lot lighter than the TKs or HDs.

For the best deals on schwalbe tires check out this site. Schwalbe MTB 26' Tubeless Reifen günstig online kaufen bei Bike-Discount
    My buddies and I have used it often.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Almost any tire is fine. Mud and roots are all but gone. I use stock Specialize tires and do just fine..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Running the Hans Dampfs 2.3 front and back, looking forward to losing the one in back soon and running a Nobby Nic for less rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    I ran Nevegals happily for years, and always felt the sticky versions do well out here on all the wet roots.

My new bike came with Maxxis Ardents though, and I've been really impressed with those. Faster rolling and they hook up really well in just about everything. Except wet roots. The rubber on the Nevs was still better for this I felt. But not a huge difference, so for now I'm very happy to stick on the Ardents.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Do you use an interpreter to assist in your ordering????

EMBA Member
    My old bike came with Kenda Excavators, which at the time I thought were the best tires I'd ever had. Eventually I replaced the rear with a Kenda Nevegal (I had to have a tire "right now" and that was the only Kenda available "right now"), which I also liked a lot. My new bike came with Maxxis Ardent's, which I think are good tires, but not as good as the Kenda's I'd previously ridden. I don't think you can go too far wrong buying any of the more highly reviewed tires available.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Good tires for PNW trails?

Schwalbe Nobby Nics are awesome and my favorite XC tire for sure. Light and really great traction. Never got a flat either- even without Snakeskin compound.

Left my Maxxis Minion DHF (super tacky) and DHR IIs (triple Cs) from WhizGnar riding on all Winter just for grins. Great traction all winter but definitely overkill. Too heavy, and not the best on wet Duthie wood due to the mondo knobs. Good workout though- will make the Nics seem like air once I switch back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Do you ride when it's wet?, or mostly just dry/damp? I put a new specialized ground control 29x2.3 on my front of my main race bike about 2 months ago, I'm liking it in all conditions.
    For cheap, I still like the (folding) IRC Mythos xcii, pricepoint still has them for $15 ea I think, but they run narrow. I've got them on my old ti hardtail, the 2.1s measure about 1.9, if you're riding mostly smoother trails you might want to give them a try.

ride your bike
    Unlike a lot of folks I despised the Hans Dampf tires. They rolled great but I hated the washing out once I laid them over. My absolute fave tires are the Maxxis dhf exo (3c up front). They roll okay with traction for days.

My new bike came with the specialized purgatory and butcher control, which I like but am still getting used to.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member
    I love my Conti Rubber Queens (same tire as the Trail King)! The only other tire that I like nearly as much are the Hans Dampfs...but I still prefer the Rubber Queens.
    Titus El Guapo V2
    Marzocchi 2012 55 RC3 Evo Ti
    Marzocchi ROCO Air RC W. Cup

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just switched to Specialized Purgatory Controls (2.3F/2.2R) and am enjoying them a lot. The trails up at Galby have actually been in pretty good shape this spring but they did well even when I did hit some muddy sections.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by opiate82 View Post
    I just switched to Specialized Purgatory Controls (2.3F/2.2R) and am enjoying them a lot. The trails up at Galby have actually been in pretty good shape this spring but they did well even when I did hit some muddy sections.
    +1 on Specialized Purgatory (F) and Ground Control or The Captain (R). I have used them for the past two seasons and been pretty happy all around, even their durability as a pretty lightweight tire, and all running tubeless. The only issue I have had is a couple of front tire burps due to the pressure being too low and a near flat on the rear (a Specialized S-Works Fast Track stock on the Ibis SL-R last summer) in Devils Gulch. The Stans fluid fixed it up before I could get to a safe place to stop (if you've been there, you probably know where in DG one would get a flat from a sharp flint and why you wouldn't stop there!) and enough air in it to not bother to top it off.

I may try a Nobby Nic on the front and a Racing Ralph or Rapid Rob or whatever that one is as my next set. I was happy with the Nobby Nic setup I used to have on my Rize too.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Just roll it......
    Personally, I prefer the Panaracer Smoke and Dart!

Specialized purgatory and control's are good. I'm running the purgatory on my twenty-giner.

Minions are pretty much a given and the High Rollers are good (HR 2's as well).

The Hans Dampf seems to be getting decent reviews, but haven't ridden them myself. I do use the muddy mary's in the winter on my trail bike and like them, but they're not the fastest rolling due to their big lugs.

EB

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Rode a whole bunch of different tires (Maxxis, Contis, Nobby Nicks, etc, etc). I've now settled on Nevergoes DTC when wet and Hutchinson Piranhas when it gets dry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sooner than I expected, I had to put a new front tire on today. I misjudged someone slowing in front of me (they didn't just slow--they stopped) and I tagged my tire on their rear QR handle. It tore a big hole in the sidewall of my S-Works Ground Control. I had to put a tube in it and pump it up to about 5 PSI and limp down the trail off of Mt. Constitution. Luckily, it was on the easier, softer part of the system down by the lakes rather than up top.

Anyhoo, I was planning on putting a Nobby Nic 26x2.4 on it but the LBS didn't have one, so I am sporting a new 26x2.35 Hans Dampf instead. It looks pretty meaty, I'll tell you that much. I'll probably be riding it out in Duthie this afternoon.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Here are my post-ride feelings on Hans Dampf 26x2.35 vs. the Specialized S-Works Ground Control 26x2.30. The HD is an Evolution Line, Pace Star compound with Snakeskin, so it has some extra stuff in it that the Spec tire didn't have, i.e. tougher sidewalls!

The HD seems to roll over things better than the Spec tire but that could be due to one of a couple reasons:
    1. It is a bit bigger, so it may just roll over impediments better, or
    2. Since it is more massive, and hence has more rotational inertia, it just rolls over things better from that.

The HD is heavier, and deflects less easily than the Spec tire does, but doesn't seem to bother me much more due to the extra weight.

It is noisier than the Spec tire on pavement. It grips better too, at least on the trails through Soaring Eagle and Duthie I rode on yesterday. I'll give it a rip in Tokul sometime this week, and maybe Monte del Tigre too (or should that be Monte del León de montaña? ) if it dries out enough. I'm tired of the super wet stuff.

YMMV of course.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rode 650B 2.3 Nic + Nic yesterday at Tokul. Way faster than the HD + HD combo I was running, but the Nic up front struggled to climb out of the deep ruts going down Crazy Ivan and is washing out too early in the corners. HD goes back on up front for sure- felt like I was riding on a downhill slot car track.

Downside on the HD's is that the rear tire is showing pretty substantial wear after only a few months of mostly sloppy riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wipp View Post
    Rode 650B 2.3 Nic + Nic yesterday at Tokul. Way faster than the HD + HD combo I was running, but the Nic up front struggled to climb out of the deep ruts going down Crazy Ivan and is washing out too early in the corners. HD goes back on up front for sure- felt like I was riding on a downhill slot car track.
    When I need a new rear, it is going to probably be a Nobby Nic.

Downside on the HD's is that the rear tire is showing pretty substantial wear after only a few months of mostly sloppy riding.
    I was looking at this thread here: Trailstar or Pacestar - Schwalbe Hans Dampf tires and the brief consensus was that they wear quickly initially, but the wear rate slows down w/o losing any grip. They (the Has Dampfs) evidently just look ugly.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    The trailstar is going to wear heaps faster. My buddy in Australia got a set of HD in the trailstar compound and he was losing chunks out of the tread within 100 miles of riding. Granted riding there has a lot more rocky hardscape trails. Might be a good tire for here during the winter.

I've been running HD Pacestar in the front since the tiger mountain enduro last year and the tire is in great shape still (~10-25 miles/week) . The HD I had in the rear was great but the tire just barely cleared my rear triangle. Over time I developed a rub so I grabbed a trail king from the bike shop. I didn't really like it that much and within ~50 miles I swapped to Nobby Nic with Gatestar compound (softest in the side nubs) and I've been loving it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    On a different note: the rut on Upper Ivan was full of fresh horse poop and the Nic+Nic combo cut through that $h*t like butter.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm tire shopping!

mtbr member
    Just about any new tire is better than any worn tire. And by worn, I mean the treads have lost their sharp edge. I don't care how much "tread" is still left. So replace tires at the end of the dry season so that you have sharp edges to dig and scrape into wet roots.

having said that, I don't mind my tubeless Specialized Ground Controls 26x2.3 on 29mm rims.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm going to pop on hans damph front, nobby nic rear....unless the cool kids talk me out of it

I somehow damaged my current rear, (John Tomac I forget...) Feel like a total bike geek to be replacing my nearly new front.....just because I want matching brands front and rear. Are you guys that dumb with money too or is it just me lol

mtbr member
    I run the hans front, nobby rear and love it! Very good grip in went, muddy and tacky conditions so far. We will see how they do during the summer when the trails get dusty.
    Gotta love that government cheese...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast