Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by opiate82 View Post
    I just switched to Specialized Purgatory Controls (2.3F/2.2R) and am enjoying them a lot. The trails up at Galby have actually been in pretty good shape this spring but they did well even when I did hit some muddy sections.
    +1 Spec Purgatory Controls
    The quiver: 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad, 2011 Specialized Demo II, 2011 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Farmer John

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by jdusto View Post
    +1 Spec Purgatory Controls
    I just put one of these on the rear. Kinda felt like it let go quickly when braking around greasy corners, but might have been the deluge we were riding in last night. It feels a bit light and squirmy, so I'm kind of wishing I would have gotten the grid version with a little more sidewall support and heft. Maybe I just need to run a bit higher pressure than I'm used to (I've been in the 27-29 psi range). I was pleasantly surprised that it gripped well on wet roots since it's a harder compound than my beloved Minion 3C that was on the back. Maybe a few more rides to really get a feel.

So far I think it'll be a good rear tire for the drier 1/2 of the year when I want something under 900 grams for bigger rides. But in the winter, big, soft, slow, heavy tires are the only way to go for me.

For the front I'll stick with Minion 3C EXO in a 2.5 (they run really small, so closer to a 2.35). Maybe a Specialized Butcher Grid Control would be worth a try on the front, I hear good things about them.

All tubeless all the time for me, except on the DH bike.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

gravity fighter
    I'm liking the 27.5" Hans D's on my new bike front and rear. They seem just as grippy as my old 26" Nevi's but more volume and faster. I think Han's in front with NN in back will be my PNW "summer" combo as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The Nobby Nic is a fantastic rear tire if you enjoy watching quick disintegration of tread. My Yeti SB66 came equipped with these things. After a dozen or so ho-hum off-season rides the treads are virtually peeling off. This my first and last experience with Schwalbe ….it's back to Maxxis I go.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you got a lemon. I am a big guy and use the nic on my Slash. It takes quite a beating on some very rough trails and still looks and performs well.

I would hesitate to write off an entire company over one bad tire.
    Gotta love that government cheese...

mtbr member
    I'm running a Nobby Nic Gatestar and love it. Ive had it on 6 months of 2-3x a week riding and it is in great shape.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by juice View Post
    I just put one of these on the rear. Kinda felt like it let go quickly when braking around greasy corners, but might have been the deluge we were riding in last night. It feels a bit light and squirmy, so I'm kind of wishing I would have gotten the grid version with a little more sidewall support and heft. Maybe I just need to run a bit higher pressure than I'm used to (I've been in the 27-29 psi range). I was pleasantly surprised that it gripped well on wet roots since it's a harder compound than my beloved Minion 3C that was on the back. Maybe a few more rides to really get a feel.
    On both my 26er and 29er, I run tubeless but I also run them on Velocity P-35 rims (30mm inner width) so I get a lot of side support from the width of rim. But I have no complaints for the Minion 3C EXO for that is another really good tire for the NW. I run those on my DH bike.

Another tire which has worked well for me in the dryer parts of the year is the Tiago Psycho Genius. It is no where as grippy as the Purgatory or Minion but it has been a good compromise between rolling resistance and grip when the trails are mostly free of mud.

A tire which did not work for me was the Maxxis Ardent EXO.
    The quiver: 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad, 2011 Specialized Demo II, 2011 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I spent most of last season on schwalbe tires (29x2.35 HD front/NN rear) and I really didn't care for them. Actually disliked them first ride and it got worse from there. I need to make dog collars or something useful out of them.

Very happy with the Spec Butcher front / Purgatory rear, having owned a few sets.

I'd also say 26 & 29" wheels benefit from different tires. I am happy with a lot less tire on big wheels since they are less prone to burping/flatting and have more contact.

mtbr member
    Funny, the Ardent Exo has been my favorite tire out here, though definitely not a winter tire. The Minion DHF is a beast of a winter tire though, definitely lots of grip and feels solid. Can't wait to get the faster rolling Ardents on though. been meaning to try the Nics too.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Mmmm…the Yeti came with a pair of Nics. I replaced the lead Nic with a Minion. I suppose I'll take that tire and swap out the chronic exfoliator. If it falls apart as fast as the one I've been running I'll have to call BS on the lemon hypothesis. I've had stellar luck with Maxxis, so perhaps my knee jerkiness is being exacerbated by my bias.

You really run the Nic on your Slash?

mtbr member
    Yep. Nobby in the rear. Mine is the 2.35 evo, snakeskin, pacestar version. Which compound was yours made out of? The pacestar is the hardest and most durable.
    Gotta love that government cheese...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    There it is….I've got the cheap "Performance Line" Nobby. I'm going to burn these cheap basturds up before I open my wallet for a replacement (the wife's new ride has left me a wee bit cash-poor), so I'll have plenty of time to obsess over my next move. I'm leaning pretty hard towards the Minion DHR II 3C Exo, but I can't say my gripe with the Schwalbe has been performance: they roll and grip incredibly. How long have you been running the Evolution Nobby on the rear of your most awesome bike (ooooh, ooooh,ooooooh, that Slash was one of the three bikes in the running: Slash, Reign, SB66)?

mtbr member
    I have been running nevegals in the winter here on the shore. Usually a 2.5 or 2.35 sticky front and etc 2.35 rear. Great combo .. Also I have done the steve peat cut mod on my both my front sticky nevs.
    Ijust recently switched to maxis minion dhr 2.3 on the rear for my first black diamond dh ride. Neds atomic dustbin on Mt Seynour. Miniion was way better on the back than my neb.
    Less sideways traction loss. Great tire.
    Around here the the trend is this year hR11or minion dhr rear/ dhf front. or hans front and mary rear.
    Depends of if you like higher volume or not I guess.
    But it is root and very wet and both these combos are the bomb

Caveat :when it dries out I run a ignitor on the rear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've been using Nevegals 2.35 DTC and love them! The feel fast and just stick everywhere. That being said, I was also impressed with the Kenda Excavators on my wife's bike. They are 1.95, but run large, also in the DTC compound. They seem to grip just as well as my big Nevegals. I ride mainly at St Ed's, Big Finn and Duthie.

EMBA Member
    Hans Dampf in front, Nobby Nic in back. I also was surprised how much more quickly the NN wore out compared to previous tires, but the way this combination rides, I went ahead and bought another NN anyway. I'm willing to pay more (or more frequently) for the traction. Original tires were Maxxis Ardent's, which were nothing special IMO, but lasted a long time. My former bike had the Kenda Excavators mentioned above, and I loved those tires, but they don't make them for a 29.

mtbr member
    The HD/NN combo is killer year round! I buy mine from bikediscount.de for $40 a tire. Around here they are double that!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

EMBA Member
    Last year at the Duthie demo days (June 7 this year), I purposefully picked bikes based on the tire combinations. That's where I zero'd in on the tires I'm using now. This year, I was thinking of finding a bike with dw-link suspension to see how that rides. WOOHOO I see Pivot Bikes is going to be there. Can't wait to ride a Mach 6 and/or a Mach 429. I'm not in the market for a bike right now, but I could be pursuaded.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Loving my NeoMotos on Derby Rims. Super wide and grippy. Great choice for 27.5 wheels and can be found for $40 per tire online.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2