mtbr member

Good route at Cherry Valley?

Heading out to check out the trails here for the first time this afternoon, anyone got any recommendations on a good route for a 1-2 hour ride?
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Lots of mix and match options depending on how many times you want to go up the climb (Like T-East, it's roads up/trail down...) but for a quickie, I'd skip out to the falls for now and just session the front range.

Through the gate, stay on the road until it crests. Just after the crest, go left on a spur road and look for a trail on the righ (No Road) and take that to an old spur road/now trail. Go left and then left again up a little root step up. Ignore the trail to the left and come out through a muddy "ditch" section on to a road. Go right and right again at the "T". ignore side trails. First one on the right is Sick and Twisted, then on the left after a culvert crossing is YGD. (You will be taking those on the way back down.) Stay on the road to the top. (Steady climb) Go left at the top (YDG is on your left but stay right and keep climbing until you come out on the pavement. Ride up to teh "T" and go right along Lake Margaret and take the next right to the dead end and head back down taking another right on the well used jeep trail. Brings you back out on the upper road. Go left about 100 yards and start looking for Cyclops on your right heading down at a drainage ditch in the road. Take that down (Careful!) I've crashed there more than anywhere else from getting a lttle too cocky with speed. At the bottom, you are on Bobcat. Go left and left again and you are on the middle of the 3 road climbs. Elevator and funner are in teh woods to your right on the climb back out. Take that back up to the top staying left. Go past Cyclops and the jeep trail and then before the big descent(previous climb) go right to YGD and take that down. Right and then left to SnT and take that down. Retrace No Road and then follow your tracks to the bottom of the short little rocky climb you did on the way in and take the trail to your left (Black Label) Ignore the two horsey spurs to the right and take it out to just above the gate you came in on.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Thanks Bob.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Not to be a total pain, but can you tell me the names of the trails I colored, just to make your directions a little easier to follow?

http://tarekith.com/images/CherryColored.pdf

Red -

Yellow -

Green -

Pink -

Dark Blue -

Orange -

Light Blue -
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Old map. I thought the new blown up version was on there. Hmmm. You won't be riding the two little trails to the right at all. Black Label is on the south side of the road at the entrance. First trail you will come to on your right. You can take that out as well if you want. Dk Blue is No Road. Red = Cyclops, Yellow is YGD, Orange is Sick and Twisted. The first half of the lt blue section isn't cleared that I know of. So, take the dark blue and then the unmarked up section to the left back to the light blue.

mtbr member
    Thanks again. This was the only map I could find.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Shoot me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send you a better one.

mtbr member
    Thanks again for the maps Bob, came in very handy. Interesting trail system, I'll have to go back when it's a little dryer. Started pouring when we were about a mile from the parking lot, and the trails themselves were super wet and mucky still. Cyclops was the only one that was barely dry. Nice to know of another trail system close by though, still worth the drive today.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Bummer about the weather. Yeah, there was a cell hanging out over that area all morning. Just like the other areas on the east side of the valley, there is a lot of glacial till in there and they dry out pretty fast. Cyclops is really fun when it's dry. As is YGD.

mtbr member
    Finally made it back out to Cherry Valley to check out the falls. Trail dog loved the break, that's for sure.

Took a quick climb up to check out Funner, which was Fun, not sure about ner though.

Great trail conditions, though this time of year I guess you could say that about just about any place. Fun area to explore none the less.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sorry. I've been meaning to get out there and completely re-groom it for speed and flow. There have been a couple other projects that have side tracked me though. The last time I was out was in early summer when we weed whacked and chain sawed everything out.
    Glad you found the falls. Almost went there tonight but rode Doofie with the kid instead.

Anything else of note there? Trees down? Too many horses? Moto rippage? Did you do YGD to SnT on the way out?