mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Getting to the top of Galbraith - granny gear necessary?

I'm probably going to be building a bike here soon and would like to go the 1x9 route if I can. In your opinion, is it pretty much a necessity to use a 27 speed, granny-geared bike to get to the top of the mountain, or can a lot of guys do this in their middle chainring if they're in reasonably good condition? In other words, would you have to be a Lance Armstrong clone to accomplish this feat with a 1x9?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hmmm, it's been a while. But, if the bike's light enough and you're reasonably fit you should be able to stand and hammer it. For sure.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by CoastieTX
    I'm probably going to be building a bike here soon and would like to go the 1x9 route if I can. In your opinion, is it pretty much a necessity to use a 27 speed, granny-geared bike to get to the top of the mountain, or can a lot of guys do this in their middle chainring if they're in reasonably good condition? In other words, would you have to be a Lance Armstrong clone to accomplish this feat with a 1x9?
    Like Borneo says, you'll have to hammer it in places with a 1 x 9. Keep in mind that there are single speed riders on Galbraith, so you won't have any excuses.

mtbr member
    You building a 26er or a 29er?

I think 1 x 9 would be fine. Use a 32 front and you should be golden everywhere. It is a matter of riding style. You will become stronger without the granny. You will have to be willing to stand and pound the peddles to get up some of the steeper stuff.

I am one of those SS guys and I don't see any need for more than one gear.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by speeder3800
    I am one of those SS guys and I don't see any need for more than one gear.
    Some of us need those other gears!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    So singlespeed in this sense, you still have a cassette? You mean after all these years of replacing my big ring with a bash ring i've been a double speeder?

i feel so trendsetting now...
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Currently muddy
    Jul 2008
    It also depends on which side of the mountain you go up. You shouldn't have too much of a problem coming up the South / Galbraith Lane side on the fire road, but if you choose to ride up the North / Birch Street side, it'll take some conditioning to get up the single track. Even on that side you can ride up the fire roads that parallel the ridge trail until you get up to speed and cut out some steep single track.
    There are plenty of freeriders with 1x9s up there, so you'll be in good company.

mtbr member
    Depends on conditioning. Last fall, I didn't hardly think about it on my 1x9 Bullit and I could climb most everything. This year, I think about it... Hah! I will get it back though.

I say conditioning, because, last year I was able to keep the rpm/cadence up higher in 32/32. Once i get that back, and can keep the speed up a little better, it gets pretty fun.
    Last edited by flyxaos; 03-20-2009 at 03:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for all the replies. I plan on building a 29er and want the bike as simple and light as possible, but didn't know how practical that would be for Galbraith. Apparently there's quite a few people using this setup with success.

I just didn't want to show up and have everybody looking over at me saying "Look at this guy who thinks he's Lance! Pffff, year right! This'll be fun to watch..."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If you show up with your Lance wanna be roadie plum smuggler outfit there will likely be lots of chuckling going on. Despite the configuration of the bike....

Just roll it......
    Lots of folks ride Galby on singlespeeds. In fact, there's a weekly tall-boy SS nightride.

Here's my current Galby bike. I'm running a 32-18 gear combo. I'm not in the best shape, but I can climb most stuff on it. My buddies can climb pretty much everything on their SS's with no problem.

Last edited by ebxtreme; 03-19-2009 at 05:52 PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    1 x 9 running a 32-18 gear combo
    Doesn't a 1 x 9 require nine gears?

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Oops, my bad. Trying to do too many things at once!

Edited in my original post.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    I think he meant 1 gear, 9 beers

mmmmmmmhhhh, BEER

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm more surprised EB's clipped in for that shtuff. I thought I was the only one that rode all the goodies clipped in. (Makes you commit.)

And, I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he had a Rohloff hidden back there. Now, that would be the Galby single chain ring winter bike ticket.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    I'm more surprised EB's clipped in for that shtuff. I thought I was the only one that rode all the goodies clipped in. (Makes you commit.)
    That way he doesn't have to change shoes after his spin class!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N-5yQJ0nPN8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N-5yQJ0nPN8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoastieTX
    ..... In other words, would you have to be a Lance Armstrong clone to accomplish this feat with a 1x9?
    If at first it feels like you need to be Lance, after a few times up the mountain, your body will adjust.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I just read this in BIKE mag and thought it'd be applicable "the pain never goes away. you just get faster."

EB - i like the bike. Since I started mtb'n a couple years ago I always wanted a singlespeed. Not cause there are freaks that ride them but because I wanted a Big BMX bike. Yours looks the closest to what I envisioned of a bbmx. Well, except for those clippy pedals that is.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Eerie
    EB - i like the bike. Since I started mtb'n a couple years ago I always wanted a singlespeed. Not cause there are freaks that ride them but because I wanted a Big BMX bike. Yours looks the closest to what I envisioned of a bbmx. Well, except for those clippy pedals that is.
    Thanks....I'm really enjoying it. I went the SS route primarily because I wanted to get in better shape this year and my buddies would've called me a sissy had I put gears on it.

I've been going back and forth on the clipless and flats depending on the ride. Anything with a lot of climbing and the clipless pedals stay on....even if that ride entails jumps, drops or whatever. I'll take whatever advantage I can on the climbs since those are my nemesis. A buddy rides his SS exclusively with flats, but he's on the bike 5-7 days a week and is a total beast.

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    What night do you 29er guys ride?

I have seen your group a few times.

Start at tennis courts?

Members who have read this thread: 0