mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Getting Back Into Riding / Thanks for PVCA / Found MTB Gear at Ride Motorsports

I started mountain biking 15 years ago and rode a ton back then until I got more into dirt biking. It reached a point that I would only mountain bike once or twice a year. A lot of that was because my old bike was so hammered, worn out, and just plain uncomfortable to ride. This spring I picked up a used Specialized FSR XC and have been having a ton of fun riding it. I still prefer riding my dirt bike and if I have an entire day I am going to choose riding it over the mountain bike. However, I am finding it is really nice to have another 2 wheeled mode of off road transport for when I can only ride after work or for a few hours on the weekend.

This year I also made it out to Paradise Valley for the first time and have now been back there a handful of time. Thank you for all the work building the great trails that are out there. It is very close to my house and perfect for a 2 hour ride. There is enough trail to be entertaining and challenging for a few hours and still get me plenty tired.

Finally a tip: I was at Ride Motorsports in Woodinville recently and found that they are selling One Industries and Troy Lee Designs MTB gear. They have MTB pads, helmets, jerseys, and shorts. They didn't have a ton of it, but they had some nice stuff. The guy behind the counter said they just started doing it because of the number of MTB guys coming in looking at the dirt bike gear. He said that if it picks up in popularity they would carry more of it. I picked up a set of One Industries Exo Knee/Shin guards there that seem perfect for trails and light freeriding. I hadn't seen any One Industries MTB gear at any of the LBS's around me. I like One Industries when it comes to dirt bike gear, so it was nice to find their MTB gear at Ride.

Next up on my list it taking an afternoon to check out Duthie.

Getting Back Into Riding / Thanks for PVCA / Found MTB Gear at Ride Motorsports-9147369617_a13ea81841_z.jpg

Just roll it......
    Cool deal.

Unlike TLD, companies like One Industries and Alpinestars have only gotten more into mt. bike specific gear the past few years.

Having ridden a lot of moto when I was younger (and a little bit nowadays), I've found doing both benefits both sports. Mt. biking provides a lot of cardio where as moving a 250# moto makes you have to work a lot of upper body. It's akin to riding both XC and Downhill, but moto is just that much more physical on the upper body.

EB

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I also think dirt biking helps with bike control. Having a 250# bike moving around underneath a rider is unnerving at first. But once I got used to it and started to just stay loose and keep on the throttle I found I was much faster. The same skill applies to the mountain bike, let it dance and ride loose, it is much faster and less tiring. Having a death grip on the bars just makes a rider very tired very fast.