Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AKA Frank N. Bike!!
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Even more reason to buy individual parts (hopefully most can be under $500) and build up your dream bike yourself!

LDB
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    All about taxing more and nothing about cutting any spending. That's a democrat's solution alright. Sounds like a good reason to buy a few parts at a time alright.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by LDB View Post
    All about taxing more and nothing about cutting any spending. That's a democrat's solution alright. Sounds like a good reason to buy a few parts at a time alright.
    So would it be better to cut spending on bike trail access, close parks, instead of taxing higher end bicycles a small amount?

Like at home or a business, be specific about who should suffer with less pay or lay offs when advocating spending cuts.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    You have a lot more faith in the government then I do. I live in Washington and this government spends money on crap like it is water. I have to agree with LDB on this one. I thought Democrats were the champions of finding a solution for Global Warming? I'm confused?

gravity fighter
    My personal feelings about the tax aside, I question the fairness and logic of charging an extra $25 for buying a $510 entry level bike the same as a $5000 dream machine.

dwt
    mtbr member

Get ready for a new tax if you live in Washington...

Tax Schmax. Weed and Dr. assisted suicide legal. If you are a Tea Bagger in WA you're in the wrong state. Move to a confederate state with all the other selfish goobers who think they can live without a government. Or join a militia or a survivalist cult.

Pass the bong, Billy Bob.

Get ready for a new tax if you live in Washington...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361508005.943642.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

LDB
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    So would it be better to cut spending on bike trail access, close parks, instead of taxing higher end bicycles a small amount?

Like at home or a business, be specific about who should suffer with less pay or lay offs when advocating spending cuts.
    So it's automatically a given that there will be suffering if government reigns in their out of control spending? Bikes costing $501-999 are higher end bicycles? Government fiscal responsibility requires the miniscule contributions made to bike trail access and parks? Perhaps some savings could come from salaries of government employees who make approximately 100% more than their private sector counterparts. There are undoubtedly scores and scores of places to cut waste and cut spending without harming anyone.

Life Is Short
    what a bunch of dumbasses in Olympia. Tax the weed, stupid! Tax hard liquor or even beer. Taxing a bike costing $500 is dumb. WTF? A bike is an anti-cancer, anti-obesity,
    pro health machine. Like taxing kids going to school wanting to learn to be decent hard working Americans. They are so out of touch gray hairs. (I have white hair now so I can say that)

PS---Olympia, why don't you add an additional tax on exercise equipment, bike helmets, bike lights, reflective vests,
    all vegetables, and athletic shoes while you're at it. Pisses me off.
    Ride More, Eat More

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The bike shops in Portland will love this.

mtbr member
    Did anyone else pick up on this?

"...a new annual car registration fee pegged at 0.7 percent of the vehicle's value..."

If I lived in WA, I'd be more annoyed at that instead of the $25 on a new bike. How often do you purchase a whole new bike? Every few years? I'm assuming no individual parts would be covered under the tax since it's not a whole bicycle.

0.7 percent on a new $25,000 car is $175! I pay $36. Again I'm assuming as your vehicle's worth declines, so would the amount you pay. So buy a $2500 clunker and you'll only have pay $17 a year to register it.

Just seems like an incentive to keep your car longer and build a bike from mail order parts. That will jump start the local economy alight.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecito View Post
    My personal feelings about the tax aside, I question the fairness and logic of charging an extra $25 for buying a $510 entry level bike the same as a $5000 dream machine.
    Kind of funny $500 is entry level to us bike snobs on our $1500 and often higher priced bikes, some here owning many. Wall Mart bikes are entry level, are they every priced more than $150? Sure many bike shops have $400 bikes, but these are much nicer "entry level" than what a laboring class family can afford to buy their kids.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    from the article:
    "House Democrats unveiled a transportation revenue package Wednesday that would raise $9.8 billion over the next decade"

And the tax on bikes adds up to 0.01% of that. What's the point?

They need to cut government pensions and make them all pay into their own 401K like the rest of us in the private sector. [/politics and sorry, I know it's not allowed]

Perpetual n00b

Here we go..

Let's do some meth I mean math!

2011 bicycle sales: 15,700,000

18% of which came from shops where the average price per bike was $680.

15,700,000 * .18 = 2,826,000 bikes

Those are the numbers for the entire US. Let's say for giggles Washington state represents 1/50th of $680 bicycle sales in the US. That's 56,520 bikes.

56,520 * 25 = $1,413,000 in tax revenue for Washington state. Probably not even enough to pay the politicians to argue about it in the House and Senate let alone the administrative costs once it takes effect. Now let's consider another bill being discussed in WA Congress. Washington gas tax increase proposal faces bumpy road | KPLU News for Seattle and the Northwest

2 cent increase on gasoline every year for 5 years. The total tax would be 47.5 cents once fully implemented for a 10 cent increase overall.

2011 WA state gasoline consumption = 63.4 million barrels * 42 = 2,662,800,000 gallons
    2011 Total WA state gasoline expenditures = $9,860,400,000
    2011 Average Price per gallon = $9,860,400,000 / 2,662,800,000 gallons = $3.70

2,662,800,000 gallons * .10 = $266,280,000 in additional tax revenue once the 10 cent increase is fully implemented.
    Total new revenue with 10 cent gas tax increase and $25 >$500 bike sales tax = $267,693,000
    $1,413,000 / $267,693,000 = .5% of all new revenue per year comes from bicycle sales over $500.

If Milton from Office Space was working for the WA state government he could write a program to redirect that much money or more to an off-shore bank account and no one would ever notice.

Data sources: EIA.gov and NBDA.com
    If you gorge yourself into morbid obesity, you can skip everyone else in line at Disney World.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Elections have consequences.

This is trivial, when compared to the National level of absurdity.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So do the taxes from a mountain bike sale go to help out mountain biking? haha

If I thought they would use the money from the tax in an efficient manner I wouldn't mind paying $25. But I don't really have faith that it will be used that way.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

Rock Gnome
    Dec 2012
    The tax on bikes doesn't go to anything bike related. It's all to highways. It's also been acknowledged by the bill sponsor that it is largely a symbolic tax for the anti-bike crowd. Hmmm and now we know why the government is lambasted for it's spending policies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Yes, this tread show you can't teach commons sense and smarts. How did the tea baggers get into this discussion? This is about craziness! How did bikes get into the extra tax conversation?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I work for government and we do pay into our pensions; however, the bigger problem is the guaranteed defined benefit. I put over a grand into my retirement a month to try and have some chance at dignity in my older years (assuming I get there ) Check out the pie chart of Washington State spending:

Government Spending Details: Washington State Local for 2013 - Charts

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I hate to discuss politics here but sadly we have to....
    Just keep in mind our tax structure is the most regressive in the nation, in other words the tax burden falls hardest on the poor. This is the problem that's almost never discussed, do some Googling for details. Until this is fixed our problems will continue. Chances of a major fix (income tax and no sales tax) are slim to none.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Not true but sure sounds compelling:

Guess Who Really Pays the Taxes — The American Magazine

Slothful dirt hippie
    Oh jeez... if we're going to get into THIS argument, here's a summary of ALL THE MONEY: xkcd: Money

Now I'm going to shove a pencil into my ear until I can forget all of this.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Silly

mtbr member
    Just think how much trail could be built or improved if we spend our energy where it matters to this audience.

Loved the math!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast