Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    So the bicycle that I buy to ride only off-road will be taxed to support roads?

I can see how people freak out about the cost of bike lanes, but I still believe that the bike lanes really exist to benefit the motorists.

Now if the tax was used for the purchase of new land or to expand trail opportunities, that might be something different. It's still hard to swallow that considering so many trails (if not, all) are built and maintained through volunteer hours.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    So as a person that works at a bike shop, and has for 15 years, I would think law makers would just make a broad tax for all bicycle sales. But they wont. And the main reason is that if you include ALL bicycle sales for the state, the vast majority is cheap department store bikes. And the govenment doesnt want to piss off the big department stores. So raise the minimum price and independent bike shops will have to tack on the tax and have to eat the tax more often than not to make the bread and butter sales of 600 dollar bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Would this tax be only on complete bikes? If so have your LBS pull the saddle off sell the bike incomplete and buy the saddle as an individual item.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

Rogue Exterminator
    Part of me can't believe they actually passed this tax but the other part of just is not shocked.

In all seriousness though, it is just stupid that they did.
    The sales tax on the bike should be enough.

Also, the idiocy of it is that if you buy a $500 bike, you have an extra 5% taxed on but if you buy a $5,000 bike it is only 1/2%

I can see the negotiating in bike stores now though.
    Buyer: "If you mark the bike down to $499.99 I will give you $1000 for that helmet." lol
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Part of me can't believe they actually passed this tax but the other part of just is not shocked.
    You can suspend your disbelief for a while longer...it's just a proposal at this stage and has not been passed.

Rogue Exterminator
    Yeah, I just read an article on that. lol

Still, can't believe they are talking about it.

How about refunding cycle commuters instead since they don't tear the roads up.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    If the bike doesn,t have pedals, is it a complete bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kliemann53 View Post
    If the bike doesn,t have pedals, is it a complete bike?
    Oh boy. Now they'll have to expand the Department of Weights and Measurements to audit bike shops for pedal-less bikes. Maybe a staff of 4-5 new bureaucrats with a budget that slightly exceeds the revenue that might have been generated by the Bike Tax...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I emailed my reps about this, plus the chair of the House Transportation Committee Judy Clibborn; she doesn't think the bike tax will be part of the final bill, and agrees it's a dumb idea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Bike tax is just stupid... I guarantee that in the end riding a bike actually saves money (health costs, etc). They should pay people (give them tax break) for buying bikes instead of taxing them more...

Similar with the gas tax. Why not re-do the whole gas tax system based on how many miles you drive instead of gas. Gas used to be a valid measurement of your road use but now with all the Priuses and etc it's not. Why is it that a person driving a Prius pays less in gas tax to use the same amount of road as I do...?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TFitz View Post
    and agrees it's a dumb idea.
    But isn't that the case with most government ideas?

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    Won't affect those of us who build vs. buy or refuse to pay LBS retail prices.
    And it'll just push even more bike sales to the internet and out of state, and kill the LBS that much more.

Mercer Island? Figures. Surprised they haven't tolled the I-90 paths to keep out the outsiders.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    like parks and state and national forests with open trails?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Tfitz, your always welcome to visit me on MI, I will leave word with the gate keeper.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I don't like new taxes, period.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Rediculous, why do I have to pay for roads when my $500 plus bike will be strictly offroad?

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    Tax the roadies. Everyone wins.

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    sorry if this is a repost....

State lawmaker defends bike tax, says bicycling is not good for the environment | Seattle Bike Blog

Representative Ed Orcutt (R – Kalama) does not think bicycling is environmentally friendly because the activity causes cyclists to have “an increased heart rate and respiration.”

mtbr member
    And if this tax goes through than I think the bike haters need to be careful of what they wish for. If we have to pay $25 a bike than dammit take the whole lane. I think I'll get a jersey that says "I PAID A BIKE TAX, DEAL WITH IT"
    And demand some of this $ go towards trails since Mtb's are included!

mtbr member
    My earlier argument stands that this list is best served to motivate folks to help on trails but ill play along:

The freebie kirkland reporter paper additionally reports this package includes a cents per gallon tax that will likely make the $25 soon fade from memory. In the spirit of fairness running shoes over $50 could be taxed at $5 a pair. I know never could happen. See what your rep thinks of that idea.

Fingers crossed Tom's rep knows we will be ready to vote someone else in next term if this passes this season.

Rider
    if you don't like it write your local representative. just enter your zip, edit and send away.

Cascade Bike Blog

mtbr member
    guess ill just buy my bikes in OR.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2